electrode failures (electrode migration, misplacement, etc.,)

jamesluk

I had my first surgery on April 2nd and soon thereafter the electrodes (should that be a singular or plural?) pierced the skin of my ear.  This was only discovered last Friday and I had emergency surgery this past Monday.  Now comes the question: was the implant installed correctly?  Did it move? Or is the problematic sound quality simply a question of re-mapping?  I am trying to advance the appointment with my audiologist but have not yet heard back from her.

I suspect that the cause for the problem is that I have had many ear surgeries throughout my life, and things may be rather messed up inside the ear; even if a surgeon is experienced with previously operated ears, probably few people have had multiple surgeries to the extent I have had.  But in view of the difficulties I anticipate lie ahead, I want to get an appointment with the MedEl folks at the headquarters in Innsbruck, and see if they can see me.  Does anyone have a clue how to go about this?  I have tried contacting them through their website, but never heard back from them.

Please let me know if you have any ideas....  Thank you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Elgab

I am so sorry to read of your difficulties.  You are in California right?

In the US, Med-El has support teams based in regions.  In addition to our CSR (Customer Service Rep) who is our contact, there are CAMs and SAMs who support our audiologists and surgeons.  And other Med-El support staff too.

You can contact your Med-El CSR to be put in touch with the appropriate people.  You may also ask your audiologist to schedule an appt for you at a time when the regional Med-El CAM (clinical account manager-audiologists who support our audiologists) can attend.

I will tag @MED-EL Moderator for some assistance as well.

I’m so sorry this happened to you.  Please keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow yes please keep us posted. 

13 hours ago, Mary Elgab said:

I had my first surgery on April 2nd and soon thereafter the electrodes (should that be a singular or plural?) pierced the skin of my ear.  This was only discovered last Friday and I had emergency surgery this past Monday.  Now comes the question: was the implant installed correctly?  Did it move? Or is the problematic sound quality simply a question of re-mapping?  I am trying to advance the appointment with my audiologist but have not yet heard back from her.

I suspect that the cause for the problem is that I have had many ear surgeries throughout my life, and things may be rather messed up inside the ear; even if a surgeon is experienced with previously operated ears, probably few people have had multiple surgeries to the extent I have had.  But in view of the difficulties I anticipate lie ahead, I want to get an appointment with the MedEl folks at the headquarters in Innsbruck, and see if they can see me.  Does anyone have a clue how to go about this?  I have tried contacting them through their website, but never heard back from them.

Please let me know if you have any ideas....  Thank you!

Hi Mary, thanks for reaching out to the HearPeers community and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've sent you a private message to help you.

Kind regards,

Leigh - HearPeers Support Team

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...