Rondo 2 features and questions

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I expect Med El will release more info soon.  I am sure there will be a tethering option for the Rondo 2 to keep the Rondo 2 safe and sound.  The Rondo and Sonnet both use a similar mini battery pack with different adapters and I expect the Rondo 2 will follow suit.  When you use that there is a thin cable that runs from the processor to the mini battery pack clipped to your clothes.

When I use the Rondos in waterwear in the ocean, I use an Ear Gear cover with tether and clip.  Other times I have not used a tether but may do so soon.  I wear glasses but am hesitant to use the eyeglass fixation loops because if I remove my glasses to clean them, the Rondos will come off too.

There is still a problem with that email alert for the Rondo 2.  Many people are discussing that they can not complete the process.  @leighf (It doesn't seem to be working still.)

Let us know what you find out!  It's always exciting learning about new Med El items!

• HearPeers Heroes

Leigh has said she fixed the alert problem for Rondo 2. 

On 9/16/2017 at 6:12 PM, Mary Beth said:

Thanks for a Rondo 2 topic @leighf!

one mic or two?

alternative battery option for long listening days?  Any picture of it?

need to use a dry kit?

18 hour battery life going to slowly decrease over time?

ASM 1 or ASM 2?

any built in Roger receiver?

Thanks!

HI Mary Beth!

Thanks for all your questions! The RONDO 2 has an omnidirectional  microphone, and is designed for hands-free control with Automatic Sound Management. This minimizes the need to change settings or make adjustments with your remote. There is no need to use a drying kit due to RONDO 2’s splash-proof design at IP54. RONDO 2 uses ASM 1 and does not have a built-in Roger receiver. RONDO 2 has an integrated telecoil that easily connects to Bluetooth compatible neckloops & other accessories, streaming sound from iPhones, Androids and more. The Roger X and Mini Battery Pack can be used in combination for connecting to some Roger microphones. For any extra-long listening days, you can use the Mini Battery Pack that is powered by one AAA battery for around 35 hours of extra listening. Hope that helps!

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

Is the Rondo 2 charger a Qi wireless charger?  If so, is it low power or medium power?  Does the charger use guided positioning or placement anywhere?  Can we use other Qi wireless chargers too or only the one that comes with the Rondo 2?

thanks!

Hi Mary Beth, The RONDO 2 comes with its own charging pad, however you can also use other charging pads with it. RONDO 2 has already been tested with over 250 charging pads on the lab, and we will publish a list of all the compatible charging pads with RONDO 2 as soon as  the final report gets in!

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 9:50 PM, Harald F. said:

@Mary Beth: So many questions! Well, I guess we have to be patient for a little while :-)

I'm very happy with my two RONDOs. I'm sure RONDO 2 will be just as well-designed. One thing I've already noticed, is that they got rid of the tiny mic cover. I am constantly breaking these. So that's definitely an improvement. 

Hi Harald, thanks for your feedback! We took into account feedback from our recipients when designing the RONDO 2 and we are glad to hear you like RONDO 2’s new sleeker and lighter design! We also have 34 different covers for RONDO 2, everything from tartan prints, to pirates, to hair colors. You can check out all of its features here: http://medel.com/rondo2 

Kind regards,

Leigh

HearPeers Support Team

Hi everyone, 

Thanks so much for all your questions about RONDO 2 and I'm really glad to help you out with all your inquiries! Thank you for your patience while I work through each of them - I have been getting specific technical specifications from our RONDO 2 Product Management team to make sure I can give you the best information possible on this new audio processor :). 

Kind regards,

Leigh

• Like 2

On 9/17/2017 at 0:07 AM, Kara of Canada said:

Yeah I agree. We need some Med El engineers here! Lol @leighf

@Kara of Canada Thanks for your suggestion of chatting with a MED-EL engineer! I am actually now looking into this for you to see if we could host someone online to directly answer everyone's detailed questions about RONDO 2. Is a live chat on HearPeers with a RONDO 2 expert something you all might be interested in?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 7:02 PM, Harald F. said:

@Mary Beth: I'v been asking myself the exact same questions. According to MED-EL's website, RONDO 2 has only one microphone, no other wireless options besides a telecoil and battery life is claimed to be 'more than five years.' No info about alternative battery options or dry kit.

I have to say, while the sleeker design is appealing and wireless charging does sound convenient, this doesn't seem like a real upgrade to me. In terms of hardware, SONNET is more advanced, I guess. However, I wouldn't want to miss the comfort of a single-unit processor and I'm hearing very well with my RONDOs. 

Hi Harald,

I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying your hearing with your RONDOs!

One of the biggest benefits of RONDO 2 is its ease of use. As RONDO 2 is wirelessly rechargeable, you don’t need to fiddle around with changing batteries each day. Just place the RONDO 2 on the charging pad and leave it for 4 hours, and you’ll then get up to 18 hours of listening. This is perfect for leaving on charge overnight and waking up to a full day of hearing the next day. We're pretty excited to announce this wireless charging technology as its a world first for any cochlear implant audio processor. As some others mentioned already here, there is also a Mini Battery Pack that is charged with a AAA battery and gives around 35 hours of extra listening for any of those extra-long days. There is actually no need for using a Drying Kit due to the RONDO 2’s splash-proof design at IP54. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,

Leigh 

• HearPeers Heroes
4 minutes ago, leighf said:

@Kara of Canada Thanks for your suggestion of chatting with a MED-EL engineer! I am actually now looking into this for you to see if we could host someone online to directly answer everyone's detailed questions about RONDO 2. Is a live chat on HearPeers with a RONDO 2 expert something you all might be interested in?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! 

This would be amazing!! Thanks @leighf

@leighf: Thank you for providing reliable info about RONDO 2.

In the meantime I've learned that I'm not eligible for a new processor, yet — it's every seven years that the Austrian health insurance gives you an upgrade and I'm short of two years. I was looking forward to wireless charging and getting rid of the batteries :-( 

On the other side, as I understand, the RONDO 2 has no 'under the hood' improvements, so my hearing experience with RONDO should be the same (and is great!). At least, I'm not missing out on any new feature in that compartment. I'll wait for RONDO 3, with dual mic, even slimmer design, completely water-proof, integrated Bluetooth and a battery that will last me a whole week  :-D

• HearPeers Heroes

@Harald F......not hoping for too much in the Rondo 3 are you?!  Smile.  

@leighf, a live chat with a Med El engineer about the Rondo2 would be AMAZING!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

My friend, Joan, is in HPs.  Yay!  Joan is a true Rondo fan!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@leighf

I know the Rondo 2 does not need to go in a dry kit and due to its integrated rechargeable battery it actually can not go in an electric dry kit.  But ca we place it in a dry jar with a dry brik that is not designed to be plugged in if it gets too wet?

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

I know the Rondo 2 does not need to go in a dry kit and due to its integrated rechargeable battery it actually can not go in an electric dry kit.  But ca we place it in a dry jar with a dry brik that is not designed to be plugged in if it gets too wet?

Hi Mary Beth, we don't recommend for RONDO 2 to be placed in any drying kits or with bricks. No drying kit is necessary as RONDO 2 is sealed to protect it from sweat and moisture. I had previously given you a different answer on Facebook on this, but this is the most up-to-date information from our engineers :). Hope that helps!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry @leighf.  I didn't see the FB response.  Okay.  No drying jar at all with Rondo 2.  This is going to make traveling with our CIs much easier since we will not be packing waterwear batteries, disposable batteries nor drying kit!  I do like simple.  Smile.

There is a way to tether the Rondo 2 to our hair, right?

No need for a protector like the Rondo has either?  That silicone/rubber piece that acts like a bumper if it falls?

Just now, Mary Beth said:

Sorry @leighf.  I didn't see the FB response.  Okay.  No drying jar at all with Rondo 2.  This is going to make traveling with our CIs much easier since we will not be packing waterwear batteries, disposable batteries nor drying kit!  I do like simple.  Smile.

There is a way to tether the Rondo 2 to our hair, right?

No need for a protector like the Rondo has either?  That silicone/rubber piece that acts like a bumper if it falls?

Hi Mary Beth, no problem :) . There is a range of attachment options for the RONDO 2 for additional fixation. They are: Clothes Attachment Clip, Hair Attachment Clip, GripWear, Activity Clip, Fixation Loop for Glasses, and the Sports Headband. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@leighf

Are we going to get to choose several covers for the Rondo2 in our kit like we get to choose colors for various parts of the Sonnet when we order it?

How many covers will come in the Rondo2 kit?

• HearPeers Heroes

@leighf

Is the activity clip that you mentioned for Rondo2 the same one that already exists but doesn't work for people with internal Synchrony implants due to the magnet design?

On 9/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

Will you share a picture of the Rondo2 activity clip option please?

On 9/22/2017 at 1:08 PM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

Are we going to get to choose several covers for the Rondo2 in our kit like we get to choose colors for various parts of the Sonnet when we order it?

How many covers will come in the Rondo2 kit?

Hi Mary Beth, your local MED-EL Representative will be able to provide the specific information on how many covers RONDO 2 will come with when it becomes available in US.  However you will always have the possibility to order your own additional RONDO 2 Design Covers. Also, I will get a picture of the RONDO 2 activity clip through to you ASAP :) .

• Like 2

Hi everyone, it's great to see how much excitement there is around the RONDO 2! We've created an FAQs for RONDO 2 based on the most common questions we've had so far. It's now up on the MED-EL Blog, and you can check it out on this link.

If you have any particular suggestions for questions, just let me know and I'll see if we can include them too :).

Kind regards,

Leigh

HearPeers Support Team