Canadian Options?

Neyir

Hello, 

My son has bilateral CIs, he is coming up on 2 years old and had his activations about 7 months ago.  We are currently in upstate NY but are Canadians and have been considering moving home for some time.  I am trying to figure out what services/rehab options there are for him in Ontario.  I know in Quebec there is the Montreal Oral School.  Does anyone know if there are any oral preschools in Ontario?

Thanks!!

Neyir

• HearPeers Heroes

Good question.  You may get some info by contacting the CI center there.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is the contact for the clinic in Toronto. They may be able to answer some of your questions. http://www.hearlifeclinic.com/. Here is the link for contact info for the sick kids hospital CI Program. gina.sohn@sickkids.ca

Edited by Kara of Canada

On 9/22/2017 at 4:04 PM, Neyir said:

Hello, 

My son has bilateral CIs, he is coming up on 2 years old and had his activations about 7 months ago.  We are currently in upstate NY but are Canadians and have been considering moving home for some time.  I am trying to figure out what services/rehab options there are for him in Ontario.  I know in Quebec there is the Montreal Oral School.  Does anyone know if there are any oral preschools in Ontario?

Thanks!!

Neyir

Hi Neyir, thanks for reaching out to the HearPeers community! Our local MED-EL Representative for Ontario will also be able to assist with putting you in touch with some nearby rehabilitation clinics. Let me know if you need their contact details and I'll send them through.

Kind regards,

Leigh

HearPeers Support Team

We live in Stratford, ON so I can't speak for larger centres such as the GTA but living in a rural centre we have had to opt for private services and work one on one with a SLP who is a cert AVT (our daughter is 2.5yrs implanted at 15mo). We drive into London once a week for these services.  My understanding is that in other areas, the infant hearing program does provide AVT services and this program goes until age 6.  We just strongly felt we needed better services than what the IHP would provide in our area.  There are no centres anywhere near us to my knowledge but rather rehabilitation is done one-on-one. This has also had a big impact on us daycare wise but that's a whole other story!