Introduction

Rosemary

I have a high frequency hearing loss and a candidate for a hybrid CI (Synchrony EAS System) with surgery scheduled for May 2, 2018.  I have not made my final company selection yet but lean toward MedEl.  I am especially interested in hearing about others with a similar type of loss and experience with the Synchrony EAS implant.  

Hi there, I'm Justin from NJ. I came across this site. I am an AB user but hoping to air some CI friends.  If anyone is from or near NJ, let me know. Hope everyone is well and looking forward to making some friends.

Hi @Rosemary and welcome to HearPeers!

That's great to hear you're getting an EAS system, and there's plenty of EAS users here who will be able to tell you more about their experiences.

There's also plenty of info on our website (for example http://www.medel.com/int/eas-hearing-implant-system/ ) and be sure to check out the MED-EL Blog for stories such as Sherri's ( https://blog.medel.com/how-electric-acoustic-stimulation-changed-my-life/ ). And of course if you have any questions, just let us know!

Kind regards,

Fiona

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 1/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, Rosemary said:

I have a high frequency hearing loss and a candidate for a hybrid CI (Synchrony EAS System) with surgery scheduled for May 2, 2018.  I have not made my final company selection yet but lean toward MedEl.  I am especially interested in hearing about others with a similar type of loss and experience with the Synchrony EAS implant.  

Hi @Rosemary, I have the Synchrony EAS on my left side. I got it after using just electric stimulation CI for 6 months after my surgery. Right after EAS unit was activated, I got the noticeable improvement in hearing in noise and the low frequencies became sounding fuller and rounded. My biggest concern was if I want to have a molding inside my ear again as it was the main reason why I didn't like my HA. But it happened, that EAS molding is much more comfortable for me than HA molding. So, I am glad that I decided to go with EAS as in general, my hearing is much more comfortable now compare to a very comfortable hearing I had before EAS. OK, this means, I was happy with what CIs provided to me. But with one CI modified to the hybrid mode my hearing experience is even better now.

Good luck in your choice and beyond!

5 hours ago, Cara Mia said:

Hi @Rosemary, I have the Synchrony EAS on my left side. I got it after using just electric stimulation CI for 6 months after my surgery. Right after EAS unit was activated, I got the noticeable improvement in hearing in noise and the low frequencies became sounding fuller and rounded. My biggest concern was if I want to have a molding inside my ear again as it was the main reason why I didn't like my HA. But it happened, that EAS molding is much more comfortable for me than HA molding. So, I am glad that I decided to go with EAS as in general, my hearing is much more comfortable now compare to a very comfortable hearing I had before EAS. OK, this means, I was happy with what CIs provided to me. But with one CI modified to the hybrid mode my hearing experience is even better now.

Cara Mia,

Thank you for making time to your EAS experience.  It is encouraging to know the acoustic component made a helpful difference for you.      This means you had a enough residual hearing saved even 6+ months after surgery to benefit from the EAS.  ? R

• Like 2