New User Joyce

Joyce Morgan

Hi I’m Joyce. I just had surgery on March 8. I did very well- but one week post surgery tinnitus kicked in. It sounds like air blowing constantly in my Implanted left ear. On my 10 day post surgery visit with my dr he said the tinnitus is normal . He said once I’m activated I won’t notice the noise. My activation date is April 6th. I was also shocked at how much less I can hear  since the surgery. My dr assured me that’s because I’m only hearing with my right ear and I have a severe hearing loss in that ear too. Activation  is two weeks away. I’m scared but I xcited at the same time but I’m determined to be optimistic. I’ll keep you posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joyce 

welcome to hear peers

Congratulations

my surgery was 3/13 and activation is set for 4/20

sorry to hear of tinnitus ?

i had noise in recovery and it shortly dissipated to no sound 

hearing with one ear only is a challenge but you are on a good path. 

Are you now bilaterally implanted or bi modal with a hearing aid?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joyce Morgan

Welcome!  I heard tinnitus post surgery on my left side.  When my CIs are on, I do not hear it.

Activation day will be here soon for you!  Wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joyce, welcome!  I'm actually hoping that the CIs help with tinnitus.  I've been listening to my ears ring since 1973.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joyce! Welcome. I had really bad tinnitus with the first too. But once activated it got substantially less. I still get it when I take it off at night. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I now have the tinnitus again. It is better in the day time. But I find it’s worse when I do things and I know it will get better after activation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. It is always worse after surgery because of the swelling and lack of sound stimulation being sent to the brain from that area. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada  - oh, that makes sense.  I hadn't thought it through.  I imagine that after 45 years of tinnitus I can deal with the post-surgical increase.  One more week and I'll find out!

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! Yes your almost there. Don’t forget it take a button up shirt to the hopsital. You don’t want to be squeezing the bandage around your head. A pyjama short or dress shirt for example.