Hey, everyone!

Emily C.

Hey!!  So... um... I guess I need to introduce myself, if I'm gonna plunge into being on here for the info, company, and craziness!

I'm Emily, a 30-something geek from Ohio, and I've had a moderate-to-severe loss since I was a kid.  Thankfully, my sudden loss wasn't so bad that I couldn't stay mainstreamed and aids helped, among other things.  Unfortunately, the past five or so years has seen a very gradual steady decline for the first time, which sucks.  To the point where implants were recommended, which both fascinated me (only vaguely aware of since didn't bother to keep up on a lot of that stuff in the non-hearing world), and freaked out!

Ha... seriously.  I've been on-again off-again with checking out my options, reading up like crazy, talking to people, going to appointments and a nearby info meeting in Cincinnati, then stalling again for quite some time.  Finally, thanks to wonderfully helpful reps, and becoming slowly ok with it since I want to hear badly (it makes working in retail difficult!), I'm doing it!

The really hard decision ironically wasn't choosing to do it... it was choosing which brand, as all of you know!  ;D  But now I feel (mostly) ready and nervously excited with Med-El, thanks to some of it's unique features, and figured the next step is join you guys while I await word of date and insurance (trying not to get myself worried about _that_ part going smoothly too).  So..... hi!  ;D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Emily C. 

Welcome to group!! Hear Peers is a wonderful place to get more info, so ask any questions you need to.

I remember when I first considered getting  a CI (July of 2016) - deciding which brand to go with was difficult! Each is similar with little differences. But in the end, I decided with Med El due to the internal processor being well designed & more high tech than the others. Every day I’m reminded how well I chose - I’m incredibly happy with my Med El CI ? It’s been an amazing journey and I never knew how loud and noisy the world was until I was switched on!

Best wishes on your journey and keep us updated on your surgery date!!! ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Emily C.!

I’m glad you joined us.  It was crazy having to choose a brand!  I agree.  I am thrilled with my Med-El CIs (implanted 3 years now).  I wish you the absolute best!  Keep us posted on your surgery date so we can root you on.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.  We are a friendly group.

Welcome @Emily C.,

You came to a good place to find what you need for: Information and advise. Choosing the brand was one of the most difficult things I have to do in my life as it is something you are going to keep inside for most, if not, all your life.

Hi @Emily C.,

Welcome to the group from another newbie! Like you and others, I agonized over which vendor to select. Ultimately, I chose Med-El due to what I feel are better technology and potential hearing improvement that other vendors seemed less likely to deliver.

I also gave a lot of thought to which electrode array I wanted my surgeon to use. Finally came down to the Flex28 for the atraumatic design and longer length to extend further into the cochlea. I would have liked to have had the option of the recently approved FLEXSOFT but approved and available were two different things! Med-El couldn't give a firm date on availability and I was anxious to proceed with the CI. Had the implant surgery today and looking forward to activation on June 13th.

Keep us posted on your progress. BTW, I'm also in Ohio. I attended the Med-El meeting Cincinnati in April but live in the Columbus area.

Good luck,

Dave

I'm feeling great @Mary Beth! Almost no pain, no dizziness or other discomfort. I posted a more detailed accounting on the Spring/Summer Activations forum.

Thanks for asking!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome, @Emily C.!  Do you have a surgery date?

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Emily C. this is the best place to begin your journey. I started here as well as soon as I found out I was getting MED EL. implant. Here we don’t pick. The surgical team does. 

Hey guys!  Thanks!

Ughh... I know!  I think picking out of the three was the 'worst' part, since by this point in time my surgeon said the tech was all pretty comparable (Med-El's unique features aside), and he didn't want to influence me, and everyone had an opinion (but, er, hey... at least we have a choice? ;D).  Oh, sure, I had a hard 'moment' facing the decline in my hearing since after losing most of it as a kid, it had stayed fairly stable since.  But no... once I got over that and started getting on board and swimming in information and everyone around me supportive and curious, that was the part I just stalled and angsted so much over! ;P  ;P  Bah.   Just a few lingering 'what ifs' about Med-El, but generally I'm so glad I relaxed the decision is done with, and happy with it.

Instrumental in helping me get there was the Med-El informative user-support meeting, and reaching out to their user-outreach rep, who was SO dang chatty and friendly with me and explained the tech!  So now I just play the waiting game with hearing about insurance acceptance and a date, and hanging out here (but not much to chat about until it happens!).  I'm lucky I don't live too far from a very good university medical hospital with a surgeon who's been doing it a long time and teaches, as well.  We'll see!

And @DaveD....  Ha!!  Oh my gosh, you were at that same Cinci info meet-up?  That was a bit after the time we were still delving into this and being checked out by my surgeon and he insisted I go... thankfully we found out about it in time for me to get off work and go!  I was the young-ish girl there with her mom (ha... I noticed the youngest one there! ;) ).  They were so great.  I didn't get to chat with any other users though (except for the one sitting next to me who was SO excited over Med-El, which intrigued me) because not too many wanted to linger too long afterwards, and all my time was spent with the really nice rep who came over since he noticed the two of us newbies and wanted to see if he could help with anything.  And then the University rep came over too, to make sure we knew what to expect!  Nice people... I just hope the next part doesn't take too long... want to have the summer to work on it!

• Like 2