Lisa in Virginia

Lisa

I just got activated with my sonnet on July 2nd. So I am definitely a newbie. My next visit is July 20th. All I have "heard" so far is Whoo Whoo Whoo, like owls from EVERYTHING, or ping, ping, ping, like pinball machines. I try to keep my other hearing aid turned off to "help" the brain to distinguish new sounds but so far haven't learned anything. Except that I am not as good at lip reading as I thought I was. Even the tapping of the keyboard here at my computer sounds like pinball pings. I hope eventually things start to sound different..

Congratulations @Lisa on your new implant and activation. these sounds you are describing are normal and it will get better, Keep us posted!!

Congratulations @Lisa on your new implant and activation. these sounds you are describing are normal and it will get better, Keep us posted!!

• HearPeers Heroes

My left side started off as marimba and whale song.  Hang in there.

If you have an iPad, you can play with level 1 on CLIX.  You listen just for the number of syllables.  It doesn’t matter if it sounds like pings or speech.

Congratulations on being activated!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lisa. Welcome!

Congrats on your activation! Apparently everyone's journey is different. Remember the 3Ps....Patience, Practice and Perseverance. 

Continue wearing you CI and do lots of aural rehab and it should pay off. 

Please keep us posted. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lisa. Welcome!

Congrats on your activation! Apparently everyone's journey is different. Remember the 3Ps....Patience, Practice and Perseverance. 

Please keep us posted. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lisa. Welcome!

Please keep us posted. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lisa. Welcome!

Please keep us posted. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lisa !  What you're experiencing is normal.  I had loads of beepy things for several weeks.  I'm not 8 weeks post activation and am starting to be really happy with the sound.

I find that a nice way to do rehab is to watch TV with the captions and the sound on.  I watch videos while I walk on the treadmill and it's starting to sound pretty normal!  I like audiobooks for that too, I read along with the actual book.

Good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lisa !  What you're experiencing is normal.  I had loads of beepy things for several weeks.  I'm not 8 weeks post activation and am starting to be really happy with the sound.

I find that a nice way to do rehab is to watch TV with the captions and the sound on.  I watch videos while I walk on the treadmill and it's starting to sound pretty normal!  I like audiobooks for that too, I read along with the actual book.

Good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisa

Sorry I can't delete your name. 

@Mary Featherston

Are you listening to the TV with just the CI or are you using something additional? 

Hi @Jewel, I'm not @Mary Featherston but I also watch TV with captions and sound. It is very good, I can understand what is being said most of the time with captions on at the moment of course. I don't use anything additional, just my  processor and the TV speakers.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Me too.  I actually only use other tech when I want to hear something alone.....and then I use headphones or the Artone neckloop.  Other than that, it is just my processors.

You must be counting down in weeks now!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Me too.  I actually only use other tech when I want to hear something alone.....and then I use headphones or the Artone neckloop.  Other than that, it is just my processors.

You must be counting down in weeks now!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Lol! Yes I am! Time is really flying. I can start doing my tests for the preop next weekend! 

I had a meeting with 8 persons yesterday and was struggling. Our next meeting will be in October after I have had two mappings following activation. I'm curious to see if I fare better at the October meeting! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

What is your surgery date?  I want to be sure to put that on my calendar.  You have been waiting so long.  I can’t wait for your journey to begin.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

August 21. I can't wait for my journey to begin either! Hopefully my result will be as good as my fellow HPs ?. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes
21 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Hi @Jewel, I'm not @Mary Featherston but I also watch TV with captions and sound. It is very good, I can understand what is being said most of the time with captions on at the moment of course. I don't use anything additional, just my  processor and the TV speakers.

What Daniel said, CI only.  In fact my hearing aid has been in the backpack that I take to work for a month now, I'm using the CI only.

This is kind of huge, come to think of it.  B)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

That is so cool!  Do you know when you will have your other side done?  I recall you are hoping to fall in the Plus Rondo 2 promo again, right?

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

That is so cool!  Do you know when you will have your other side done?  I recall you are hoping to fall in the Plus Rondo 2 promo again, right?

Hoping to, yes, @Mary Beth - I have a remapping on Monday and then another in early August.  We are working on getting me another meeting with the surgeon on the same day as the August one.  Depending on her schedule I should be able to have the surgery in late August or early fall.  And I want the audiologist to order the kit right away to get another PlusRondo!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

In fact my hearing aid has been in the backpack that I take to work for a month now, I'm using the CI only.

This is kind of huge, come to think of it.  B)

Same here!!! It is brilliant isn't it? I can't say that I'm hearing better but at least at the same level as to when I had both HAs. And to think there is still heaps to improve!! With HAs I was at the end of my hearing.

• HearPeers Heroes
4 minutes ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Same here!!! It is brilliant isn't it? I can't say that I'm hearing better but at least at the same level as to when I had both HAs. And to think there is still heaps to improve!! With HAs I was at the end of my hearing.

I'm hearing better now, but it's been a ride since activation.  But yes, it's really something to experience!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

What activities do you think have helped you the most on your journey so far?

Hm, @Mary Beth, I'm not sure.  I'm like Kara, though, I lost interest in Angel Sounds (partly because of the inane applause in between each word pair on the PC version, I'm not five years old).  I have been listening to audiobooks, listening to music, watching videos with both the sound and the captions on.  I think the main thing it to listen intently, this is not background noise.  I try to sort the sounds out, consciously, give my brain something to hang on to.  The music in particular, if you know what a piece sounds like, you can pick the tones out of the noise if you try.

And work.  I talk to people all day.  Sometimes it's not easy, but this is why I haven't been using my hearing aid.  I want my hearing to come from the CI.

I would like to add that I really like the Roger Pen and Roger 21 to listen to TV. Often put the Surround sound on mute and just use the Roger Pen and base connected to the tv for audio. Also great for gaming so not to annoy the spouse ?

• Like 2