Rondo vs Opus II

janavandyke

Ok, Everyone,

I am interested to hear your feedback on these 2 units......I have both the Rondo and the Opus II and have tried each one.  I know everyone has said the sound processors are exactly the same on each.  Even so, have any of you noticed a difference in sound?  I most definitely have and I am curious if anyone else feels like these "identical" processors are not equal in some ways. 

I wish I worked a different shift so I could participate in the chat's more often, but my swing shift keeps me up late at night and I am away from the computer for the most part in the afternoon and evening hours.

I am very anxious to hear input on this question.......thanks, all :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Jana,

you will probably get a number of different answers. i have talked to people that say it sounds exactly the same and have talked to others that say they can tell a difference.

I believe all of the smarty pants engineers will tell you there is no difference. maybe some of it is a "perception is reality" kind of thing

I thought that since the mic is in a different place than you are used to that that might have something to do with it. i asked about it and that idea was shot down so i really don't know. ask as many rondo users as you can.

Jana,

The microphone placement between the RONDO and OPUS2 does make for some interesting comparisons. Here's why I prefer the RONDO: the microphone is not as affected by wind noise, traffic, etc. When you wear the OPUS2, and there is a head wind comprehension suffers in direct proportion to the wind strength. The OPUS microphone cover seems to create a venture effect so when you are cycling, running walking or something similar the environmental noises can be quite strong. the programming does help reduce that ambient noise but still. If I am at a hockey game, for example, I can not only hear the announcer but on occasion can CLEARLY understand the conversation behind me, (I learned way too much one night about the mother/daughter dynamic).

Adam did make an astute comment, to whit: "perception is reality" . I think I hear better with the RONDO but additional booth testing will need to be done to determine.  the first session with bilateral RONDOs indicated that the OPUS2 gave me better discrimination but I had only been bilateral RONDO for less than 8 hours, RONDO user for 2 months.

I am thinking that your brain is still grappling with the concept of electric stimulation, not air pressure so in its confused, learning state it gives you, possibly, false impressions.  the beauty of your situation is that you can choose your device to match your mood. either way you will be hearing.

does this help you? we all understand that posting is something that can be out of our control but please don't stop posting when you can. to paraphrase, there are no bad posts, only .......

• HearPeers Heroes

Another thought i had, again shot down but only asked one person. Does head shadow effect make a difference since the processor sits further back on the head?

I am now alternating with wearing both and honestly haven't noticed a difference (though if FORCED to pick I'd say I 'think' I may possibly hear a teeny bit better with the Rondo).

Because my hair hangs over both equally I have no problem with wind sound with either, at least so far I haven't.

I haven't tried my Rondo yet (tomorrow, I hope), but my audiologist told me that she's getting a bout a 50/50 response from her Rondo wearers.  Only about half prefer them, the other prefer the Opus2. Not sure whether this is specifically hearing or comfort or whatever, but after reading so much positive word about the Rondo, I was surprised.  Looking forward to trying mine!

• HearPeers Heroes

Another thought i had, again shot down but only asked one person. Does head shadow effect make a difference since the processor sits further back on the head?

Head shaddow on ipsi- or contralateral side? This is significant - it was calculated that by average human head is 17cm in diameter if you look at from the air (I don't know how to say this better) and there is loss around 10-15 dB and it is not same in all frequencies.

• HearPeers Heroes

ivana

now that i think about it, my guess is this (headshadow) would not have anything to do with sound quality. With head shadow there would be a VERY slight delay in information getting to one side but this i believe does not affect the quality of sound. Any quality distortion would come as a result of the loss of hearing. does this sound about right

• HearPeers Heroes

ivana

now that i think about it, my guess is this (headshadow) would not have anything to do with sound quality. With head shadow there would be a VERY slight delay in information getting to one side but this i believe does not affect the quality of sound. Any quality distortion would come as a result of the loss of hearing. does this sound about right

Adam, but we are not discussing the quality of sound - we started to discuss about differences between the sound in these 2 models.

What is quality of sound here? How you can define it? John wrote about real objective problem which can interfere the input of sound into outer unit if it is (somehow) disturbed. Wind can do that because of mic location. For instance, lot of people say that BAHA is great device but I have a lot of problem because of winf and other kinds of noises which disturbed the sound.

Not just that - because the longer way some frequencies are heard worse especially if you have hearing loss. If you have perfect hearing than it helps to identify the direction.

Wikipedia:

The shadowed ear, the ear further from the sound source, receives sound slightly later (up to approximately 0.7 ms later) than the unshadowed ear, and the timbre, or frequency spectrum, of the shadowed sound wave is different because of the obstruction of the head.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes ivana you are correct. I asked if people thought that there might be a difference. I thought maybe headshadow would contribute to a percieved difference between the two units due to mic location. After pondering a little more, i think your right. We are on tge same page :0)

You guys are so great!  Many ideas and thoughts on these 2 units.  I have been told that perception becomes reality to each individual human being, so my perception probably seems more distinct as far as noticing a difference.  Also, John said in a post he wrote about feeling like he heard better with one particular unit only to find out he didn't test as well on that one.....am I misquoting you, John?

So, I am still getting a feel for each of these.  I give pros and cons to both, but the bottom line is I am hearing things I haven't heard in years and I am feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of getting back into the life I let go 6 years ago.  Maybe not musically speaking, but definitely socially speaking.  And that brings a huge smile to my face...

Last thought:  I was thinking last night about pacemakers and how they are internally implanted.  One of the things I dislike about the implant is having to remove it every night and returning to my deaf world.  I wonder about things like smoke alarms, emergency sounds, etc. that I am unable to hear.  Is there anyone working on an internal implant that could be worn 24/7?  Now THAT would be my perfect bionic world :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Jana, I get where you are coming from regarding smoke alarms, etc. when I renovated my house I had a smoke alarm installed that flashed red and is visible to all rooms on the main floor. The basement is an area that must be looked at. It also makes a loud noise which I can no longer hear without my processor.

Regarding being overwhelmed at getting back the life you had, it becomes easier as the days go on. Now I look forward to meeting friends and going out. It does have some drawbacks in situations with large crowds but the practice is good. All I can say is: you go girl, it's a whole new world waiting to be discovered!

I am now alternating with wearing both and honestly haven't noticed a difference (though if FORCED to pick I'd say I 'think' I may possibly hear a teeny bit better with the Rondo).

Because my hair hangs over both equally I have no problem with wind sound with either, at least so far I haven't.

Lisa, here's your hearing test: go to Tuckerman's Ravine and ski down twice, once with RONDI and once with OPI. The sole question is which scream was louder to you.

thanks for your participation!

Hello Jana,  You are now on the air.

Yes, you did quote me correctly about my perception on hearing better with my RONDOs. My thought on the booth vs real life hearing is that even though the audi can add environmental (masking) sounds, they are only a rough approximation of reality.

You should check with your local fire department about getting a retrofit flashing smoke detector for your bedroom.  The City of Dallas FD installed a system that not only flashes but has a bed shaker. It was free! The strobe is truly bright and the bed shaker works well.

it is good to see your back and posting.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes ivana you are correct. I asked if people thought that there might be a difference. I thought maybe headshadow would contribute to a percieved difference between the two units due to mic location. After pondering a little more, i think your right. We are on tge same page :0)

Yes of course, I was counting just one unit when I made my presumptions.

2 units, I doubt seriously - only technical reason like John explained.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, i am jeffrey -filipino and is currently residing in UAE . I just had my surgery in american hospital last thursday 22-May-2014,luckily the operation went successful. I was told by my audiologist before my operation that i can possibly have the rondo and opus at the same time. How true is it ?. And when will that usually be activated?

Jeffrey,

If you can get both the Opus2 and the Rondo, go for it!  They have pro/con's and it's great to have them both. If forced to choose just one of them, I'd go with the Opus2 but hopefully you are able to get one of each.

Most people are 'activated' 2-6 weeks after surgery. My hospital does it at 5 weeks; I guess they really like the bulk of the swelling/healing to be over before stimulating the nerve.

Good luck to you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi everyone, i am jeffrey -filipino and is currently residing in UAE . I just had my surgery in american hospital last thursday 22-May-2014,luckily the operation went successful. I was told by my audiologist before my operation that i can possibly have the rondo and opus at the same time. How true is it ?. And when will that usually be activated?

Hi Jeffrey,

it depends on your ENT/audiologist so you should ask them: there are many policies in the world, like Liza said 15-45 days. We have discussed at one topic pro/cons it.

• 3 years later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I wonder what differences between Rondo and Rondo2 . Anyone? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525, Check out the Rondo 2 topic here if you haven’t seen it yet.  It has lots of info.

• 2 months later...