Dementia and CI

Guest Paul Young

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Paul, that is a tough one to answer. I think the best thing to do is to consult all the doctors involved with the patient including a CI surgeon as well.

The persons doctors know them the best and have a detailed history of the patient so they would be able to make the best call for the patient in that matter.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Paul,

Your question is very interesting from the point of view that scientific community try to support even more within the population of older CI population.

It is hard to be razor sharped, but dementia should not judge against the implantation - event hard demented person has right to hear, although there comes valid question: how to conduct the rehabilitation process?

This is more ethical question than technical and it depends on the implantation team: the implantation is the most simplest question, the rehabilitation question is the real one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, you bring up an interesting point. Has there been anybody out there that has developed strategies for rehab in such cases that would make it quite challenging to get optimal results. That could almost be a separate specialty in the audio logical field.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually Adam - I am not certain how is in USA, but in my country speech therapists, psychologists/therapists are dealing with this matter.

• HearPeers Heroes

not being in the field, I am not sure what is being done about this. The next time I see my Audi I will ask. Interesting subject to think about as they deserve every right to hear just as the rest of us.