Anyone had the soundbrige implant

Alexmeek

Waiting to discuss with my consultant the option of a Bonebridge implant or BAHA! anybody here had it done and can share info with me etc?

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Alex,

Welcome to hearpeers!! I have two cochlear il ants so I can't really give much advice. I mainly wanted to welcome you. This is a great group of folks. I am sure ivana will be chiming in soon as she can answer any questions you might have. We are looking forward to getting to know you.

Adam

Hi, I'm new to this and I am looking for advise/help with regards to having a bone conduction hearing aid implanted. I am 32 and at the age of 26 had a stapedectomy on my left ear. Unfortunately 2 weeks post surgery I developed an infection which killed my hearing in this side. 
Since then I have used general hearing aids but have recently been given the option of bone conduction which appears to help me massively!
I am due back to audiology in 3 weeks to discuss my options for surgery etc.
I have the option of a bone anchored hearing aid or the Bonebridge implant and was wondering if anybody on here had experience of these!
This is what I am thinking:

BAHA = Advantages LESS INVASIVE, MORE SECURE AND CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO IMPLANT, MORE RESEARCH/HISTORY ETC. 
Disadvantages PERMANENT PROTUSION, CATCHING ON THINGS? WASHING HAIR ETC HAIR LOSS AROUND IT, SKIN GROWING OVER, INFECTION.

BONEBRIDGE IMPLANT = Advantages HIDDEN, NEW TECHNOLOGY????
Disadvantages = MORE INVASIVE SURGERY, NEW DEVICE LESS RESEARCH KNOWN??? MAGNECTIC CONNECTION, STRONG ENOUGH?? STAY IN PLACE? HEADACHES

If anyone could help with their experience/knowledge I would be really grateful!

Thanks heaps x

Thanks Adam for your welcoming. Its a bit of a new world for me and wants to understand more before i commit to surgery etc.

Take care

Alex

• HearPeers Heroes

Alex, you are taking the right approach in trying to learn as much as you can. I am surprised at how many people don't do to much research for themselves. I will add a link from the medel website that might help you out below

http://www.medel.com/us/vibrant-soundbridge

• Like 1

Hi Adam, sorry to be a pain it's the Bonebridge implant lol x

• HearPeers Heroes

Oops, I guess my ears work better than my eyes . My apologies

cheers

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Alex,

At first, welcome to the Hearpeers Forum - I have Bonebridge now almost 2 years (in July).

Secondly, Bonebridge is not Soundbridge although it is constructed at same platform. 

And - at the end: I am ENT resident in the final year with special interest within the field of audiology and otology so - ask whatever you wish to ask :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi, I'm new to this and I am looking for advise/help with regards to having a bone conduction hearing aid implanted. I am 32 and at the age of 26 had a stapedectomy on my left ear. Unfortunately 2 weeks post surgery I developed an infection which killed my hearing in this side. 

Since then I have used general hearing aids but have recently been given the option of bone conduction which appears to help me massively!

I am due back to audiology in 3 weeks to discuss my options for surgery etc.

I have the option of a bone anchored hearing aid or the Bonebridge implant and was wondering if anybody on here had experience of these!

This is what I am thinking:

BAHA = Advantages LESS INVASIVE, MORE SECURE AND CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO IMPLANT, MORE RESEARCH/HISTORY ETC. 

Disadvantages PERMANENT PROTUSION, CATCHING ON THINGS? WASHING HAIR ETC HAIR LOSS AROUND IT, SKIN GROWING OVER, INFECTION.

BONEBRIDGE IMPLANT = Advantages HIDDEN, NEW TECHNOLOGY????

Disadvantages = MORE INVASIVE SURGERY, NEW DEVICE LESS RESEARCH KNOWN??? MAGNECTIC CONNECTION, STRONG ENOUGH?? STAY IN PLACE? HEADACHES

If anyone could help with their experience/knowledge I would be really grateful!

Thanks heaps x

Hi Alex, 

so - your diagnosis is single sided deafness? You don't hear at all?

at first, you should know which BAHA you plan to implant. BAHA with the abutment is now pretty old device (many years on the market). You have seen that you should have a special way of treatment the abutment. Constantly. Also, the aid sticks out of the head so it is prone to possible sport wound. 

There are also modern type of BAHA, but the operative procedure is more invasive.

From the audiological point of view there is big difference- BB is active implant, BAHA is passive. Look at the link: http://www.medel.com/int/show/index/id/1495/title/Active-vs--Passive/

Regarding the BB: it is pretty new device but lots of people had been implanted since 2012 so results are very good. Invasive if you mean that bone behind the ear should be drilled but this does not hurt - no headaches because of the device. Magnetic coupler is very neat and you do not even feel it is on your head. Magnet should be strong proportionally the thickness of your skin.

Looking forward for your next questions! :)

Hi and thanks soooo much! Getting a little overwhelmed by it all lol! I had a stapedectomy 6 years ago but unfortunately I developed an infection and as a result lost my hearing in my left side. I also have otosclerosis in my right ear but this is mild and I still have hearing! I had extensive hearing test last week and have been fitted with otlcon spirit zest after having a phonaks for 3 years! I have come home with the bone conductive headband to try it and I must admit I am amazed with the result. This has concluded the option of a bone conductive device either BAHA or Bonebridge! The audiologist was very pro BAHA as she didn't know a lot on the Bonebridge. Apart from the obvious that the Bonebridge is under the skin I am trying to compare the options.

My main questions on the Bonebridge are below;

Complications with surgery and recovery

Any hair loss/how much is shaved etc

How well does the processor stay in place with the magnets as I have a very active lifestyle with sports etc.

Headaches from the connection

Best to go NHS or Private (I have healthcare insurance with my job), thinking about future upgrades/maintenance also

Irritation to the skin from the connection

Issues with heat is sunbathing/hot climate

Advantages above the BAHA

YOUR A STAR THANKYOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT XX

• HearPeers Heroes

Alex

My CI is held to my head using a magnet as well. For me there are 4 different magnet strengths as you want just enough to hold the unit to your scalp but not too much pressure as it can damage the skin. If you have the correct strength magnet, you won't even realize it is there. With CI s you an wear the coil over your hair and just use a sstronger magnet. This. Ugh be different for what you are getting. I am an avid runner and crossfit enthusiast and wear my processors with no fears of the magnet coming off.

Not sure where you live but here in SC .U.S. CI's are covered. I would assume the same but be sure to check with your insurance company.

I live down south and being out in the sun has never been an issue. I even ran a 24 hour ultra marathon when it was 17 degrees F and the magnet was fine.

ivana can answer more specific questions to your device.

Don't feel bad, I think every one of us was totally overwhelmed with all the information we were receiving when first going through the process. That is why we are here. To help support and encourage plus educate each other. Who better to learn from than somebody that has already been through it. Have a great night.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Alex,

I asked you about your hearing loss because there could be 2 options: you heave sensorineural hearing loss aka deafness because the infection got into your inner ear, or you have profound conductive hearing loss because prosthetic coupler does not sit well.

Taking from your words, you have scenario Nr. 1 - bad luck :(

So let's go with BB explanations:

1. The operation is simple mastoidectomy, surgeon does not go into the middle ear cleft so complications are minimal: possible wound dehiscence, bacterial biofilm which could  be carried in with any typ of the operation - even with BAHA. Third day after the operation, I made 30 km with my bike without any problem :)

2. There is no hair loss at all because the cut should not be in your scalp - I am woman, so believe me: it's important to me :)  Nothing was shaved. 

3. Excellent - my speech processor (outer unit) has never fallen off. You have additional pincer (if this is good term) to secure your outer unit. You just need to put it into the waterproof bag like one for Rondo.

4. There is no headaches at all from the connection - someone could sense a bit but then you put little bit weaker magnet and this is resolved. On this way you take care even skin irritations. Weaker magnet and everything resolved - you do not brush anything or put any ointment. Nothing.

5. As I am not from UK, please contact Sophie Aldred who is here on the Forum - she is from UK and could answer to your question regarding the healthcare insurance.

6. Any implant could have some issues because of too much humidity. Sunbath - not at all, just do not forget and enter with the device into water. ;)

I was offered BAHA long time ago, but I've declined because of the nature of the abutment. When I was offered the BB implant there was only BAHA with the abutment - for me: easy decision. On the other hand, when we entered the community we made the decision that we will just describe our devices not writing what we do not know for sure. But, here we have our colleague Thomas Tuchan who had previously BAHA and decided after many years gathering with it to change for BB. He is also very approachable. 

We are here for other people - we are the HearPeers Brothers in Arms :)