Your device and moisture

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Can you get your device wet? Do you need water wear for it? Do they even make something like that?

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course - what can't get wet? 

No - we do not special water apparel  :(  I use cover from Rondo - not for swimming, because it is to expensive to try; I use it for running because sweat could also be problem. I already have to change the outer unit because of that reason... It started to squeal, no running session can help it.... :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

Do you have 2 units to change out when one has had too much moisture? What do you use running to help with moisture issues?

• HearPeers Heroes

If you feel comfortable sharing, I would love to have you post A picture of yours on. I assume you have the Samba. I have not seen it on anybody.

• HearPeers Heroes

No Adam - we in Croatia didn't benefit of program like you had: 2 proc for 1.

I think bigger countries did have similar programs. So, if something happen to my device - this is it, i should get to my headband solution

• HearPeers Heroes

So you get one device? If any future upgrades in technology come along, you are not allowed to get it?

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, my health insurance does not recognise bone conduction or middle ear implant as hearing devices they should support. All devices in Croatia are private donation or individual investment.

We don't have charity foundations who would be willing to support us. Upgrades... Wishful dreams which never come in true...:(

On the other hand, cochlear implants are recognized and luckily - supported now 15 years. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't understand the reasons behind that. If they recognize CI's, I am sure you have data and people to demonstrate that your devices help with hearing.

• HearPeers Heroes

There is a neat song by ABBA which says (band who does not exist couple of decades): "Money, money, money... must be funny... in the rich man's world...."  :P

Nope it just does not help - explaining them cost/effectiveness is without effect.... :angry:

It's a very complex situation.  :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I am very familiar with ABBA

It can be tough dealing with a government agency as they seem to take bottom line of cost over the benefit to so many.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, and private insurances does not see benefit in covering these products because cochlear implantation is done in state-financed hospitals. 

On the other side, in Austria and Germany - patients get 2 devices without any serious cost for them. This is how state should be properly run on.

• HearPeers Heroes

Can you go to Germany to get what you need?

I have heard of people going to Canada to get upgrades instead of waiting for FDA

That being said, I would not recommend that in U.S. As I imagine it would void any warranty.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

No, because (although Croatia is part of EU) this community still does not function as one big economic space like possibly USA regarding citizen's right. :huh:  With obligations there is completely another story :P  Can someone who lives in New York go to Los Angeles for the implantation?  :blink:

So, my insurance cover only cost of the operation if it is not possible to do in my country - major reason for that are unequal prices all over EU: working hour is not same for surgeon here like it is in Germany or Great Britain. On the other hand, implant has to work no matter of the aforementioned fact  :unsure:

The implant should be bought by the patients by him/herself. Fortunately, Med-EL has same price for all countries - Cochlear has another approach.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually Ivana a number of people have to travel to another state to have the procedure done as they might not have a clinic or big enough hospital in theirs.

You can get your implant with your own money, your own money + insurance, a local or federal assistance program. Each state is a little different as well as insurance companies. Hospitals are the same in that they negotiate with the implant companies as far as what they will pay the implant company for the device. That will affect what the consumer pays. This also can be different from hospital to hospital.

To say the least it can be very confusing and complicated. Glad i have both of mine and so happy to be here to help those getting ready to go through the process. It can be a scary thing to think about no matter what country you live in.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, here in Canada, adults are only allowed one implant. Children get both. There is lobbying going on to try to change this but nothing yet.

Regarding the water wear, I have it but it is a pain to use. You need to remove the clip to hold the rondo on. You also need the headband. If buying, I would suggest the headband in a size larger than what the measurements say. The one I bought was too small and it's not refundable. I decided I'd rather swim without it at this point as the purpose for me swimming is to strengthen my legs.

• HearPeers Heroes

That is great advice Sandy. I think I will stick with the BTE's

• HearPeers Heroes
:D :D Sandy - perfect point!

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Nope - we don't have anything of that. We have one state helth insurance which covers cichlear implantation mostly for one university center but we have 2 more hospitals which occasionaly do the implantations. And, that's it - we don't get any other way to cover the implants.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow Ivana. Sounds like it would be very hard in your country to get a CI

• HearPeers Heroes

On the contrary, CI you can easily get if professional propose it to the insurance company - state decided the amount of money they can spend on CI's - and that's it.

Middle ear and bone conduction implants are totally different story - not supported by the state.

• HearPeers Heroes

That does not make much sense to me but I guess politics never will

• HearPeers Heroes

Now you got it - it's a politic...:(

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, and we've been taught that is understandable reason but we should resolve it in an alternative way depending on the GPS coordinates where stork brought you in....