simultaneous bilateral cochlear implants

sandrahaggard

hello all, i started exploring this adventure in march, and will be implanted july 7.  i am 71 and have been wearing hearing aids since i was 30, with progressive hearing loss.  i now barely function with one powerful aid.  i just joined this forum, but have been scouring all i could find on Facebook and the internet about these gadgets.  i am looking forward to getting to know you and my medel implants!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandrahaggard,

Welcome to hearpeers. Congratulations on the beginning to a new hearing journey. You mentioned going bilateral. Will they do both at the same time or are you going to do bilateral sequential. That is having one surgery then another at a later date for the second implant.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. Also feel free to share as much or as little as you would like about yourself.

I am 47 and have been bilateral for 4 years. Looking forward to getting to know you. Good luck on the 7th.

Your bionic buddy

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Sandra! I received my first CI in February. I love it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the Forum! :D

Please, ask as many question as you feel you need. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the forum Sandra. I've been implanted for 2 years and it was the best decision I've ever made. Ask any question and, I'm sure, one or all of us will reply.

well, they only did one.  just took off the big bandage, see the doc tomorrow.  will find out more, i hope.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Sandra, I'm sure the doctor will have lots to tell you tomorrow. Please keep us informed and let us know how we can help you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I second Sandys comment. I hope all goes well. Please let us know how it goes.

Adam

thanks, all.  i'm fighting serious GI upset, i think it is the antibiotic prescribed for me, cephalexin.  day 5 post surgery, still very nauseous, sick, taking pain meds only at night.  pain is getting better, g.i. uproar getting worse.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry to hear that Sandra. Maybe your doc can switch antibiotics

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... I am not tracking the story - why do you take the antibiotic?

I think it is standard practice these days to take antibiotics post-op to protect against infection. I continued to take for almost a week after my CI operation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, I had to take antibiotics after my surgery as well

• HearPeers Heroes

I was not prescribed antibiotics post surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

well it looks like it is based on what the doctor feels comfortable with. probably because of my other health concerns, he probably prescribed them just to be on the safe side.

• HearPeers Heroes

Most probably, but if you have good intraoperative procedure without contamination you should not be scared.

But, of course, in Croatia people usually stay in the hospital (after CI implantation) approximately 7 days although they can be discharged earlier.

But that's not what I had in my mind - I thought, was there any sign of infection so antibiotics are prescribed or just for safe (although this raise bacterial resistance)?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

Usually in the U.S. Most clinics, CI surgery is an outpatient procedure.

In my case, I was kept overnight.

i think antibiotics are standard operating procedure here in USA.  i am feeling better after stopping them sunday.  healing well.  no infections.  now i await activation!

• HearPeers Heroes

That is awesome Sandra!!! So happy for you. Now the challenngeing wait for activation. It will get here before you know it.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I know Adam - just describing the situation from other countries, and potential countereffect of the antibiotics.