Phoneme Scores

One1side

I have been wondering since my last mapping if there is a practice set I can work on that helps with phoneme recognition. As many of you probably know a phoneme is the most basic unit of distinction in speech. This seems like it would be applicable to the current program I am working with where you listen to a word and try to type it in. If there is a program that works on telling the difference with more of these subtle changes in speech, I believe it can help prevent cases where I type in words that rhyme or come close in spelling, but are still at least one letter off. Any suggestions out there?

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe medel has a few exercises on their website. If I remember correctly, you can choose male or female voice as well as the speed at which the words are spoken. I can't check right now but wanted to respond. Hope this helps

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Angel Sounds on a laptop or iAngel Sounds on an iPad will present 6 choices with minimal pair differences to help at the phoneme level. iAngel Sounds has a settings button on the lower right. Hit that. Then select level 3, 6 word choices, etc and go. Clix app also has minimal pairs with 4 choices at the upper levels.

Most of the time I do very well in matching, but I am trying to improve scores with the program where you type in the word you hear. Some of the letters that are very close sounds can be mixed up quickly or I will type in a word that ryhmes with what it being said. Is there a program where you can work on sorting through a specific set of letters that are commonly mixed up such as n and m? (I have worked with the scene play through angel sound for similar words, but I am looking for something a little bit beyond that.) I have had some success with the listen and type program, but want to find ways to move forward in that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Winden,

are you familiar with the term "speech banana"?

This might be an answer to your question - why similar phonemes is hardest to learn:

http://www.listeningandspokenlanguage.org/SpeechBanana/

Scroll down the site untill you cross paragraph SPEECH BANANA.

The Speech Bannana thing is cool in a way, but how do you address it in practicing with a CI?

• HearPeers Heroes

Winden,

If you have someone who will practice with you, look up the IOWA test. That focuses on discrimination at the phoneme level.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just practically - it explains why m and n is not so easy to differ in any circumstances. I have bilateral conductive hearing loss and although I function well there are situation why I do not recognize the differences solely than during the conversation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth,

is there any online link so I can read about that test? I googled it but I got pretty weird results so I do not know what I am looking for.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana,

Here you go

http://successforkidswithhearingloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Iowa-Medial-Consonant-Test.jpg

I have been training with this and it does pinpoint which phonemes are in need of training. Interestingly enough, the ah test and the ee test score differently for me right now. Just have someone give it to you without visual cues in a random order.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

You're welcome. Have fun.

Are there any computer programs that simulate the IOWA test, with one normal ear it would be more practical for me to have something that I can use my personal audio cable with.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wonder

I do not know. You will have to do some searching. You can also contact you Medel rep for ideas as well