Phonak Roger

iHM24

Dear colleagues any idea which one better Roger pen or roger inspiro for Rondoa & Opus 2?

If there is any CI user tried both please share your information with us.

Best regards,

Hameed

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Hameed,

I have worked with both theRoger Inspiro and the Roger Pen. What kind of situations are you planning on using them?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Hameed,

Do you have a device that hangs around your neck and connects to BlueTooth devices, like a Quattro 4 from Clear Sounds? There are other brands that do the same. They are T-coil or neckloop devices.

They will help with using your phone and can also help with hearing the TV if you purchase another device for the TV that communicates with them. However, make sure the TV set up allows the sound to arrive paired with the voices and not delayed. Otherwise the lip reading will drive you nuts as the mouths and sounds do not match perfectly.

In a classroom, the Roger Inspiro works great. You will need to purchase the Roger receiver for your CI. Are you using the Opus 2, Rondo or Sonnet? The teacher wears the transmitter. You will hear the teacher fine but it will not help you hear classmates.

The Roger Pen would require you to aim it at the speaker. The teacher could wear it but then you could not aim it at classmates when they speak.

Possibly you could contact Phonak and ask for a trial with both before deciding.

Good luck,

Mary Beth

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of purchasing the Roger Pen for use in meetings and in restaurants where the background noise is very loud.  Has anyone had experience using the pen in these environments?

I am understanding that the Pen can be used to better hear cell phone conversations w/o any additional technology.  Is that correct?  What is the name of TV device/product that would be necessary to communicate with the Pen?

What is the Inspario?

I have heard that Phontak refers all customer support back to the user's audiologist.  Is that true?

Does anyone know if Phontak has trial demos available?  My audiologist quoted a price of $2500 for the purchase of the Roger Pen.  Is that a reliable "ballpark" figure?

THANKS!

Pam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Pam,

Phoank has a website where you can see pictures of their devices and read about various accessories.

The Inspiro is just one of the Phonak transmitters. The Roger pen is another transmitter.

Some neckloops, like the Quattro4 from Clear Sounds, have a removable remote microphone that you can use in meetings and restaurants. Then you place your CI in MT setting and you hear from your mic and you pick up the remote mic sounds too.

To use the Phonak system, in addition to having a transmitter (like the Roger pen), you will also need a receiver that will attach to your CI. So you need to price both parts.

Ask Phonak directly about their return policy. I know they have a return window for schools.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Pam,

Also check out Hands On Hearing website. It's full of help with assistive devices.

Thanks, Mary Beth.

One more question--do you know the difference between the Roger Pen and the Roger Easy Pen. The Phontak website is a myriad of confusion.

I downloaded the User Manuals for each transmitter but without studying it intensly, I am not sure of the differences.

Thanks,

pam

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mary,

I purchase Roger pen I love it but unfortunately it's can't be to hearing music via Bluetooth just for calling when I connected to my iPhone.

However, I don't feel there is difference when I connect Roger pen to TV via audio wires or just leave it near TV speakers.

So maybe I will order Quattro 4.0 for tv and listening to music wirelessly.

• HearPeers Heroes

Pam- Sorry, I am not familiar with the Roger Easy Pen.

Hameed- I would be curious if you notice a sound delay when using the Quattro4 with the TV. Another member reported that she placed the remote mic near the TV speaker and did not notice a sound delay. I am sensitive to times when the audio does not match the speech reading. I notice a sound delay using the Bluetooth Quattro4 neck loop even when watching video clips on my iPad. When I plug the red jack DAI (direct audio cable) into my iPad there is no sound delay.

I do not use any device to help me with the TV. I have the captions on but am relying on them less and less.

By chance if you are watching TV alone and have the Roku streamer, you could always use your DAI and plug into the Roku remote. I believe then you would be the only person hearing the TV.

Mary Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dear Mary,

Still I don't have Quattro I will order it online soon because it's not available in my country (Bahrain), I have Roger pen and am use it for watching TV there is no sound delay.

However, I'm not feel also there are differences when I connect Roger pen by cable to TV and keep it near TV speaker I got same result.

When I got Quattro I will tell you.

Keep in touch

Best regards,

Hameed

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth

That is funny, I never even thought to check out PHONAKS website. DUH!!

• 11 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I have used the Quattro4 well before i became implanted.

My hearing aids form Oticon had a streamer that I used exclusively, but once I got the CI I switched to the Q4, because I can use it with both my CI (right side) and HA (left side).  I use it to hear calls on my iPhone or videos on the mac or iPad. 

I have used the removable mic of the Q4 in a restaurant, and am not a real proponent.

I am wondering if anyone has compared the quality of sound between the Q4 microphone and the Phonak Roger Pen?

• HearPeers Heroes

The Quattro4 removable mic is far inferior to FM types is sounds in my opinion. Check out the Lola app that uses cell phones as FM systems. Cheap way to get access as long as you have wifi. I like the sound quality of Comfort Audio's Digisystem.

• HearPeers Heroes

The Quattro4 removable mic is far inferior to FM types is sounds in my opinion. Check out the Lola app that uses cell phones as FM systems. Cheap way to get access as long as you have wifi. I like the sound quality of Comfort Audio's Digisystem.

Mary Beth,

how do you optimize the Jacoti Lola software? They advised to enter data from our audiograms but - it should be an audiogram which we achieve with our implants?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmm the Lola app did not ask me for anything like that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

is is this the app you downloaded?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. - Perhaps I read the instructions too fast and spoke theoretically :rolleyes: without entering into the application. :wacko:

I have downloaded that and other programs from Jacoti to try them.

• HearPeers Heroes

One thing about Phonak I don't understand is that they will not sell to the general public. If you want to purchase anything, you need to order through your Audi 

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Just thought of this, I have also found that  fm systems,at least for me, are much better in sound quality versus say the telecoil. I use the telecoil on the phone as well as an FM and prefer the FM

• HearPeers Heroes

I understand them Adam, though - they want to control the quality of their service delivered to their customer. This attitude is often - priceless...

• HearPeers Heroes

I like the sound of Comfort Audio DigiSystem FM but I am waiting for Med-El's wireless connectivity device for the Sonnet because I think it will be even better.

• HearPeers Heroes

It will be interesting to see Marybeth. Looking forward to seeing and hearing what they come up with. 

• HearPeers Heroes

ugh... the Bonebridge brigade join to the club...B)