6 Week review of my SONNET processor upgrade from the OPUS 2

hadron

• HearPeers Heroes

I upgraded to the SONNET processor from the OPUS 2 about six weeks ago. I obtained a single processor SONNET upgrade kit from MED-EL which was shipped to my audiologist for the intial mapping.

1. The Initial mapping session

My audiologist mapped the SONNET with the four listening programs I had on the OPUS 2. The upgrade kit came with 10 boxes of Power One batteries and Powe One was used for the inital mapping. I was fitted with the SONNET and noticed the Coil seemed loosely attached to my head. I was told that only a couple of magnet strengths are currently available with the SONNET and both are fairly weak. During the mapping session I was hearing some background noise similiar to a rumbling sound. The audiologist told me it was due to the sensitivity of the new microphones. After a few unsuccessful attempts at removing the background noise, she called a MED-EL audiologist and was told that other SONNET upgrade receipients have mentioned a similiar rumbling background noise and that it should go away after a day or so. I slyly slipped on my OPUS 2 to see if I could hear the background noise and it was not present. The rumbling background noise did go away after a couple of days.

After the SONNET was mapped, my audiologist discussed the features and operation of the processor with me. I was pleasantly surprised by the sleek modular design. It's housing looks like a silhouette with the only seam being the battery cover which helps it to be water resistant to humdity, sweat and rain (the OPUS 2 has many seams). It also does not have any control switches or pins like the OPUS 2. It is powered on and off by connecting and disconnecting the battery cover (you need to apply a little force). The battery frame is connected/disconnected by using a release lever at the base (makes it modular). The SONNET comes with two microphones to provide advanced directional processing but he second microphone does not currently have software to turn itself on, thus Microphone Directionality (MD) is currently not available. There is a microphone cover to protect the two microphones from dust and moisture (told to replace every three months). There is a new reinforced transmitting cable which connects the processor to the Coil (the OPUS 2 transmitting cable was a recurring problerm for me). The shortest cable is currently 7.5 cm which is 1 cm shorter than my OPUS 2 cable. MED-EL is developing a 6.5 cm SONNET cable. Currently the SONNET comes with the D-Coil. There is a new coil (DL-Coil) which is now the standard Coil for the SONNET but it is not yet available in the United States (not FDA approved). The Fine Tuner has not changed but now comes in a sleek looking magnetic closing wallet.

The SONNET upgrade kit includes a Dry-Star UV cleaning system (nice sleek design). It cleans in 3 hours (my Dry & Store took 8 hours). The SONNET uses the same batteries as the OPUS 2. MED-EL is currently developing a rechargeable battery system for the SONNET. It will not be the DaCapo system. The coolest feature of the SONNET is the 2.8 GHz wireless interface. Unfortunately there are no current MED-EL wireless accessories. The SONNET uses the MAESTRO Automatic Sound Management (ASM) 2.0 which should include Microphone Directionality (MD), Wind Noise Reduction (WNR) and Automatic Volume Control (AVC).

During the inital mapping session AVC was turned on. Since my mapping session consisted of talking to my audiologist directly facing me, I was told that AVC being turned on will not have a significant effect. Thus my hearing ability with the SONNET should be very similiar to the OPUS 2 during this mapping session. My audiologist was right. No noticeable difference.

2. SONNET performance and battery life

a) Water Resistance

B) Automatic Sound Management (ASM) 2.0

c) Quattro 4.0 Adaptive BlueTooth System

d) Battery Life

e) Phone and TV

a) Water Resistance -

I used the SONNET while working outside in the hot and humid summer Florida sun and while exercising and building up a pretty good sweat and it performed without a problem. I also wore the SONNET during the summer thunderstorms (to give it a good drenching) and it performed without a problem.

With the OPUS2 it usually stops working when there is a lot of humdity, sweat and rain (sudden shocks, strange sounds, muffeled sound, hotness and burning smell are some symptoms).

B) Automatic Sound Management (ASM) 2.0 -

Wind Noise Reduction - NA. Software not available yet.

Automatic Volume Control - I usually hear loud speech the best, normal speech is not difficult but soft speech is challenging. The person traveling with me spoke to me loudly, normal and softly. Loud speech was easy to hear, normal speech was ok if the speaker did not talk directly opposite to me and soft speech was challenging.

With the OPUS 2 I did not notice any difference. I will discuss the settings for AVC with my audiologist.

Microphone Directionality - NA. As stated earlier the second microphone can not presently turn itself on. MED-EL hopes to have a software update available shortly.

So ASM 2.0 is really not available yet in the U.S.A. I do not know if SONNET has ASM 1.0? Unfortunately MED-EL literature tells you the SONNET has ASM 2.0. They should note that is not yet available in USA.

c) Quattro 4.0 Adaptive BlueTooth System -

The upgrade kit included a voucher for it. You mail the voucher back to MED-EL requesting it and they mail it to you. I used it for phone calls and listening to streaming music and it worked well. With the OPUS 2 it performed similiar.

d) Battery Life - The SONNET requires 2 batteries.

Power One Implant Plus - I have used 3 packages of Power one Batteries for 9 listening periods and the SONNET has averaged 58 hours of battery life before it dies. Battery life ranged from 56 to 61 hours.

ZeniPower Zinc Air - I have used 2 packages of ZeniPower Zinc Air Batteries for 6 listening periods and the SONNET has averaged 74 hours of battery life before it dies. Battery life ranged from 72 to 77 hours. I also noticed that the sound was louder and the sound quality was a little better than when I used the ZeniPower Zinc Air batteries.

Why the difference? I asked MED-EL customer service and they were as surprised as I was. They spoke with a MED-EL audiologist and she said that the ZeniPower batteries can in fact provide better sound quality due to being more powerful than the mercury-free Power one batteries. I also asked customer service why SONNET upgrade customers are getting 10 boxes of Power One batteries? Shouldn't they be getting ZeniPower batteries if they perform better? I was told that some states have banned mercury-laden batteries and to have a consistent way of shipping and avoiding shipping mistakes, it is best for MED-EL to ship the mercury-free batteries with the SONNET kit.

I have contacted some OPUS 2 users and they have not found these differences with the Power one and the ZeniPower Zinc Air Batteries.

e) Phone and TV. While using the phone or watching TV I have not noticed any differences in my hearing experience while using the SONNET or the OPUS 2.

3. Miscellaneous

a) Colors

The SONNET allows you to pick a color for each processor part including the control unit, coil, cable, microphone cover, and battery pack cover.

Go to: http://www.medel.com/sonnetand click on colors to configure your color combination whiuch is saved as a pdf file which you can email to your MED-EL customer service representative when ordering the SONNET.

B) Waivers

THE SONNET kit comes with waivers for the in development rechageable battery system and for the Quattro 4.0 Adaptive BlueTooth System.

There currently is no waiver in the U.S. for the DL-Coil (doesn't really exist in the US until it is FDA approved). If you are planning on purchasing a SONNET in the U.S. ask your customer seervice representative about a possible waiver for future release of DL-Coil.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you. I was under the impression that the wind noise reduction feature was not available yet in the U.S. either so it's good to know that the ASM 2.0 is here and only the MD and wireless features are dormant.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great information! Thank you.

Have you asked about a waiver for the DL coil? If so, what was the response?

How do you go about replacing the battery covers? Do you have to buy new ones every few months?

• HearPeers Heroes

I was under the impression that they were giving vouchers for all of the features not yet approved by the FDA. I realize it is just a matter of turning the 2nd mic on once they send the software, I was mainly referring to the d coil. Actually now that I think about it, that would be the only voucher you would need. Is this correct?

• HearPeers Heroes

Since right now the Sonnet is using the D-coil, don't we have the 4 magnet strengths as options for the D-coil when we use it with the Sonnet?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

The DL-Coil has a nice write-up in the MED-EL blog dated 7/1/2015. That info really is for countries whom have approved the DL-Coil for purchasing. Customer service said that once it is FDA approved perhaps a waiver will be available. Yet the in development rechargeable battery system is not available or FDA-approved but they give you a waiver for it. So looks like there is not consistency when it comes to waivers.

The battery cover does not require replacing every 3 months. I believe I did get a back up battery cover in my KIT.

You are probably talking about the microphone covers. You get 3 extra microphone covers in the kit. So you have 4 and should last you a year if replace every 3 months. A new microphone cover costs $15.00. I asked for green microphone covers and since they were out of stock I was given 3 black covers and told the 3 green ones will be sent to me when they are in stock. I guess it pays to know what is in stock.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth,

Magnets got a little confusing once the SYNCHRONY was introduced.

Yeah I agree you would think that the 4 magnets: soft, standard, strong and extra strong (also known as 1, 2, 3, and 4 for non-SYNCHRONY implants and known as 15, 25, 35 and 45 for SYNCHRONY implants) should be available since they are a part of the D Coil.

I looked at a SONNET Product catalog and it says only Magnets 2 and 3 or 25 and 35 are available.

The SONNET does use a different transmitting cable not sure if it makes a difference.

• HearPeers Heroes

Very interesting about the magnets. Thanks for explaining it to me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron

Thanks again. Yes you are correct, I was thinking mic cover but typed battery. This is very useful information. Thank you so much for taking the time.

I am sure the medel CI group on Facebook would appreciate this info. Do you mind me or you sharing it?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

Please feel free to share the info. I am not a big social media user.

Hi again, this is Vicki (started a thread about upgrade to Sonnet and was directed to this thread).  A big downside for me is it looks like the complete cost is mine to bear, so want to make this decision based on being totally worthwhile.  I've read all that's been shared on this thread, but am not getting a clear picture that additional quality/clarity or broader reception of voices and desirable sounds is improved with the Sonnet.  Anyone have something to share beyond wind noise reduction and a slight improvement in loud and normal voice volume?  Thanks for anything you can share.  Yes, eventually the longer lasting battery would be a huge help--I currently get only about 8 hour life before having to recharge which can be frustrating when having a very busy day.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Vicki,

What processor and software system are you currently using? I was using the OPUS 2 processor and the MAESTRO 6.0 software with the fs4 and fs4-p sound coding strategies.

Are you using the D-Coil? You get about 50% more battery life than the older coil.

The cost for a single SONNET is $9,600.00. There is a 25% discount available to customers using their own funds. You should qualify for this.

Once the microphone directionality software is available, you should be able to hear more clearly in noisy situations.

Once the wireless accessories become available hopefully you will hear clearer on the telephone, watching tv and listening to music and any other wireless activities.

Only gone through one mapping session with the SONNET and owned if for about 7 weeks.

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi there, 

Today, more than one year of this post. Are all the pending features running and goverments approved? I'm in Europe.

• HearPeers Heroes
9 minutes ago, valtf said:

Hi there, 

Today, more than one year of this post. Are all the pending features running and goverments approved? I'm in Europe.

Hi,

full set of Sonnet's specs are not approved for use only in the U.S. but in Europe, Sonnet is 100% operable according to its specs.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana is correct.  It is only in the US that we await FDA approval of the dual mics and windblock features.

The rechargeable batteries are available now.

The future wireless connectivity has been advertised in part of Europe but is not available yet to the best of my knowledge.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

In case Hadron you didn't know, the sonnet does have a 6.5cm cable. I have it. So does Mary Beth. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I am glad Med-El realized that we needed a shorter cable for the Sonnet and D-coil.  It became available in the US in June.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

The Opus 2 and the Rondo share the same platform and sound the same to me.  There are just the differences between one piece processors and behind the ear processors.

The Sonnet is based on a different platform and sounds different than the Opus 2/Rondo to me.

There are things I prefer in the Opus2/Rondo.  And there are things I prefer in the Sonnet.

All 3 are terrific processors.

The newest tech is in the Sonnet.

At this time, I am preferring my Rondos.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @jurbar,

It has been over two years since that post. The SONNET has performed well. There hasn't been any upgrades to the FSP sound coding strategies but Automatic Sound Management (ASM) 2.0 firmware was finally approved in the USA. ASM 2.0 is a great upgrade from ASM 1.0. It gives you a much better ability to hear in noise when you use the natural (<=30%) or adaptive (<=70%) settings (from MED-EL funded studies). The third setting, OMNI, is similar to the one microphone capability in ASM 1.0. Which setting(s) are best for you? There isn't a clear answer. Some users prefer the adaptive setting as their everyday setting and change to the other settings in certain situations. Others prefer natural or omni. Strongly recommend that you schedule hearing in quiet and hearing in noise booth testing with the different settings. Hopefully one stands out for you.

As part of ASM 2.0 Wind Reduction firmware has also been released. I really don't notice a difference in sound quality. Perhaps others experience it differently.

The biggest disappointment is the 2.4 GHz true wireless accessories have not been released by MED-EL. Recall the SONNET has a built-in 2.4 GHz wireless receiver. In light of this situation MED-EL in conjunction with Phonak has developed the Roger 21 integrated receiver made for the SONNET which streams audio directly to the SONNET. You simply replace the battery pack with the Roger 21 receiver and pair the SONNET with a Roger device such as a Roger Pen.

The RONDO 2.0 announcement with the wireless charging capability was a surprise. Most people thought RONDO 2.0 would be a repackaged SONNET but it is not. It does not have dual microphones and ASM 2.0 firmware. It also does not have a 2.4 GHz wireless receiver.

What to make of this? Clearly MED-EL has gone in a different direction with RONDO 2. They made the RONDO 2 as simple as possible. You put it on and turn it on and go about your day. After 18 hours you wireless recharge it while you are sleeping. No need to insert or replace batteries or put it in the dryer. No fiddling with the microphone directionality settings. No need to change microphone covers. Obviously they feel this will appeal to a lot of people. Sounds great for children, older adults and anyone with physical limitations which limits their ability to operate or perform maintenance on their processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am also in the group of people who hope that Med El releases the AudioLink wireless streaming device for the Sonnet’s built-in receiver soon.  Med-El users in Europe who received a voucher for the AudioLink posted that they are still waiting too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@hadron

I noticed recently that the trademark process for AudioLink has just received its third extension.  Just FYI in case you haven’t seen it yet.

Thank you Hadron for your update. I am considering now an upgrade of my Opus 2 to Sonnet.  Are you sure that it is worthwhile?