5 days post-op

Bmws1997

My name is Wendy. I have conductive hearing loss in my right ear as a result of multiple infections and Cholesteatoma. I have had over 8 surgeries to try to stop the infections, but nothing worked. Last year I underwent a major surgery where they sealed off my right ear using my scalp. I have been infection free ever since. I had my surgery to implant the Bonebridge last Tuesday. I did not expect recovery to be so uncomfortable, but am looking forward to Activation Day on September 3rd. Today I am just looking forward to having a shower for the first time in almost a week. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Wendy,

Welcome! Sure hope the discomfort improves quickly for you. I was implanted with a CI in February and love it.

Mary Beth

Hi MaryBeth

Glad to hear you are happy with your CI. Reading all the success stories on here is definitely helping me know I've made the right decision. I am a little anxious about activation day, though, as I don't know what to expect.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the Hearpeers - I am the group's geek ;) and Mary Beth is already here: we're waiting for our Robocop to enters in...:D

Let's get back - It's a perfectly normal to feel anxious, hard to explain that. I am implanted unilaterally with Bonebridge - it has passed 2 years last month: boy, it was crazy drive.

I have bilateraly conductive hearing loss and couldn't tolerate HA any more. I am a new person with just one device, I couldn't even imagine how it us with 2 or 2 ears. Something what waits me in my near future.

Where are you from? There is a girl on the Forum from GB who got bilateraly BB due to her persistent chronic middle ear infection. Sophie Aldred.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wendy, welcome to hearpeers!!! You and I have had some of the same procedures. I had a cholesteatoma in my left ear. We discussed closing it of but decided not to go that route as if anything happened, he wouldn't be able to get in there. I have a chronic problem with fluid buildup so he opted for putting a tube in instead. The cholesteatoma had pulled all the bones apart so he had some reconstruction to do. I already had a cochlear implant in that ear so there was a big concern that the electrodes would be affected. He made sure that the way he fixed it, that would not be an issue.

I have bilateral CI's and am so very glad that I derided to get them. Truly blessed

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... Adam but you didn't get a CI because of the cholesteatoma - in the mean tme, lots of things happened more and you developed different hearing loss type - a sensoneural, did you? :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess I'm the robocop Ivana?

By head and beard - like an old expression in my country says. ;)

When I saw you on your job - it just crossed my mind :D

Hi all,

Thanks for your quick responses. It really helps to know I am not alone and that there are people who understand the journey. I have developed some anxiety issues because of my ear and it is easy to feel like you are all alone. I believe this forum should help.

I am from Canada and have been blessed with a wonderful doctor who has a great team and I have a wonderful support system of family and friends.

• HearPeers Heroes

Having a good support system is very important. Another thing that is equally important is educating friends and family on what to expect after the surgery. Most of my co workers thought that I would have the surgery on Thursday and then I would show up on Monday and be able to hear perfectly.

A lot of educating needs to be done

• HearPeers Heroes

I forgot to answer your question Ivana. I started losing the hearing in my left ear in my early 20's due to a peri lymph Fistula. Five years and 5 surgeries later, it was down to profound levels.

My right ear started losing shortly after the fistula in my left ear. It leveled off at borderline severe until 2011 when over a period of a month, I lost the rest in my right.

My left ear has absolutely no residual hearing left due to a labrynthectomy I had done in that ear.

Yes, I'm starting to realize how complex the process is myself. I have the same problem. People think I'll have 100% hearing once I get the device. I try to help them understand that this is not the case.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes ma'am , it is a process and takes work to relearn how to hear. This is why education is so important. I sent everybody at my work, info on what a ci is, how it works and what to expect after the surgery and the months to follow

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Wendy,

There is a lot of information and comfort to be found on this board. Glad you joined it.

Since I have a CI, I can't really comment on what you should expect on your activation day. However the excitement and anxiety must be similar. It's an incredible journey and I found keeping a listening journal to be very helpful during the first months. Now I read back over my entries and just smile.

Best of luck at activation.

Mary Beth

Keep cool, it takes some time !

I'm bilateral BB and my right side was easier, but I had some secretions, on the left side I had some pressure on the facial nerve. After 15 days it will become better.

Thomas

• HearPeers Heroes

I forgot to answer your question Ivana. I started losing the hearing in my left ear in my early 20's due to a peri lymph Fistula. Five years and 5 surgeries later, it was down to profound levels.

My right ear started losing shortly after the fistula in my left ear. It leveled off at borderline severe until 2011 when over a period of a month, I lost the rest in my right.

My left ear has absolutely no residual hearing left due to a labrynthectomy I had done in that ear.

Adam, I know your story but I wished to signalize that Wendy shouldn't and that there could be possible misunderstanding between two of you: you have additional difficulties which led you to your present status and CI's. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you all. I think a journal might be a great idea and tool to use.

Excellent idea!

However, you won't hear chipmunks or Donald Duck on the helium but some things can be little bit different.

Most problem for start is to get enough amplification - audiologists are affraid but most usually this us the main aspect which has to be adressed.

For a bit of time you should adapt yourself to listen, and try to understand in whole what's been said. A whole word.

Can't say you how natural sound and voices are because I have bilateral hearing loss but it will definitely be little bit sift beside, perhaps, quiet.

I guess you'll get Samba - it's much natural voice than with Amade.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep cool, it takes some time !

I'm bilateral BB and my right side was easier, but I had some secretions, on the left side I had some pressure on the facial nerve. After 15 days it will become better.

Thomas

Hmmm... A pressure as a physical contact with facial nerve or - little bit overstimulation all the sudden which caused possible twitches?

Ivana-I am not sure which processor I will get: the Amade or Samba. My audiologist thought there may be a chance that Med-el would send the Samba, but she wasn't sure. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wendy,

If you can, insist on Samba - it really is worth of that.

I went for a follow up appointment today. The doctor said the incision is healing nicely and removed the stitches. I have a really sore spot on the top of my head (away from the incision). My doctor thinks it may still be from swelling. Anyone else experience that with the implant?

• HearPeers Heroes

Nope - I don't see how it could be possible because incision is behind the ear...?