Switch on

Paintergal

I was implanted on 4 August and yesterday, 21 August, I was switched on.   I have lost some hearing in the lower register and the hearing aid part of the device was not activated, much to my relief because I find the ear moulds very uncomfortable.   It is very odd, the squeaky Donald Duck sounds in one ear and my poor hearing in the other ear.   When watching tv last night I was hearing in one ear, being assaulted with squeaks in the other with sometimes a sentence or a word or two coming through the Sonnet.    I did hear my daughter's ipod in the car on the way home, very softly, but it is the first time I have ever heard this.   Day 2 coming up......

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Paintergal,

Interesting and exciting experience. Keep using Sonnet as much as you can.

When will the HA part be activated?

Please keep writing about your experience as much as you can - we don't have too much individual experience in this particular field on the forum.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Paintergal,

Hang in there. It gets better. Welcome.

Mary Beth

Oh Ivana, this is bliss.   I attached the cord to my earpiece and iPod, oh heaven, music is so good and even more blissful I was able to understand the speech in a TED lecture.   The scratchiness is still there, but the words were coming through over the top of the scratchiness.

I go back to see the audiologist on Tuesday.   I am in love with the comfort and the hearing at this limited level.

The only thing is the earhook hurts my ear after about 7 hours, had to take it off.

I hope I don't have the HA part activated, I have been having therapy as the earmould seems to stop me speaking, and if you can speak and you can't hear you are indeed isolated.   Maybe when the other ear is done enough of my hearing will be preserved for the HA bit.

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent Paintergal - glad to hear that you are satisfied even so early in the rehabilitation period.

It will only be better ;)

I had my second mapping appointment yesterday and predictably the volume was turned up.   My audiologist was surprised I am hearing speech so soon.  

I have downloaded Angel Sounds, an app for people with various hearing problems, and have played with it a bit.   There looks to be some great programmes for children, must look into them and release my inner child.   Have to do 15 minutes of this programme per day for 5 days a week.   Am finding it hard, because with the volume increase the scratchiness has also increased, but I guess the only way to get over that is to keep on using my Sonnet.

Maureen

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Paintgirl,

Just remember the 3Ps - Practice, Patience and Perseverance. I turned the volume up on my processor yesterday and it's hard at first but well worth the effort. I've been activated for two years now and there are still so many "WOW" moments. The more you put yourself out into hearing situations, the better it gets. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Paintergal

CONGRATULATIONS on your activation.

As the others have stated, don't worry it WILL get better. You just have to keep in mind those 3 p's. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Your BIONIC buddy

adam