Flying.

Marion

In a weeks time I will be flying to Las Vegas.  I am getting conflicting reports on the do's and don't`s of flying with an implant. 

One report says when taking off and landing the processor must be switched off during the flight it is alright to have in turned on.    Another report says you can leave your processor on all the time and that includes going through the metal detector and the only item you must turn off during flying is the remote control.

Hoping for some direction in this.

Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Marion,

No - you don't need to turn off your CI neither during the flight neither passing through the detector. I believe I have even seen the announcement on the Cochlear's website. ;)

Regards,

I'm traveling twice a time per year to Namibia. And I always have my "ears on". No problem, this is a medical device, so you don't need to power it off.

Thomas

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you very much.

You're welcome :D

• HearPeers Heroes

The card I was given by Medel says to turn it off during take off and landing. I also asked the flight attendant and they confirmed turning it off.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy - Marion has Cochlear's device and I've read on their website that their CI can be used all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Yes, you don't have to take off your processors at all. I flew to Arizona and back, from South Carolina. Never took them off. Nobody gave me a hard time wearing them. Wa

Led through the X-ray just fine.

Have fun on your trip

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with Adam. No problem flying or going through the scanners. Kept my CIon the whole time.

Adam & Mary. That is good to know. I'll be flying next week for the first time since I got my CI, and wasn't sure. I'll leave it on and see what happens.  ;)

In a weeks time I will be flying to Las Vegas.  I am getting conflicting reports on the do's and don't`s of flying with an implant. 

One report says when taking off and landing the processor must be switched off during the flight it is alright to have in turned on.    Another report says you can leave your processor on all the time and that includes going through the metal detector and the only item you must turn off during flying is the remote control.

Hoping for some direction in this.

Thank you.

I am EAS trial recipient. I had a long trip (12 hours one way) in June and July.  I had my processor on when passing the security checkpoint, but switched off the processor when plane was climbing and re-switched on until the landing.  I was nearly deaf in my implanted ear at the moment plane was landing, it might be caused by loud engine? I am not sure.  My case sounds rare among CI recipients.  The processor is working fine, no damage to both magnet and processor.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update everyone. I got back from my trip on Sunday morning. The only issue I had was when I accidentally left my spare batteries in my pocket and the metal detector picked those up, otherwise I had absolutely no trouble getting through in Australia or in Singapore. I also left my sonnet on the entire time I was on the plane (take-off and landing included) and was pleasantly surprised to find myself dozing off with the background airplane noise in both ears. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent Lenny! :)

Well, there is no particular reason why a CI device should be shut off. But, nice to hear a real experience. ;)