Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About kwooddell

  • Rank
  • Birthday 02/08/1971

Profile Info

  • Search Profile
    Parent of a hearing implant user
  • Implanted
  • Implant Period
    Under 1 year
  • Implant Type
    Cochlear Implant
  • Hearing Loss Type
  • Cause of Hearing Loss
    Unknown / Prefer not to say
  • Pre/post lingual Hearing Loss
    Pre lingual Hearing Loss
  • Sudden/Progressive Hearing Loss
    Progressive Hearing Loss
  • Uni/bilateral Implant
    Unilateral implant
  • Country
    United States
  1. I guess I need to ask his audiologist more questions. He was activated a month and half ago and we worked through four programs within that first week. Since that time, he's recieved one additional program that only raised the volume. We see his audiologist once a week for speech therapy so it would not be a problem to schedule a mapping appointment as well. Thanks for the responses.
  2. My son's implant was activated on November 20th. We left that day with four programs on his fine tuner to work through. Since that time, he's received one additional program. How often will he be "mapped?" Just wondering what is typical.
  3. Thanks Sarah. I appreciate your replies and they are helpful. For some additional background, Luke passed a newborn hearing screening after birth. Well, he failed it twice in the hospital so we went back one month later and he passed. So, either the test was wrong or he could hear for some time after bith. We just don't know how long. I say this because there is a possibility he had some exposure to sound prior to getting a hearing aid and CI at 18/19 months. He is wearing a hearing aid on his left ear and has the CI on his right ear. The left ear has better hearing but there is a good chance he will get a CI on the left side next year. Our ENT strongly recommends AVT theraphy and that is what we are going with although I have read different arguments on both sides. I have read and heard different arguments on both sides. I am open to hearing your observations as a teacher or your thoughts on either side. As parents, we are totally (100%) committed to doing whatever is best for Luke and gives him the best possible outcome. That includes working with him at home, getting him additional therapy, pre-school, etc. However, we both work, and need to, to afford Luke's continued care so our time with Luke is somewhat limited. Luke is in a Kids Day Out program two days a week and stays with an individual the other three days. She also keeps one other child that is 3 years old. Our sitter is also committed to working with Luke. I found a local pre-school that has a 2 year old program. I'm currently trying to decide if we should put him in pre-school at 2 or wait until he is 3. I don't want to waste precious time but I don't want to push him to hard either. I plan to speak with his audiologist about her recommendation as well. Thanks for listening/reading.
  4. Thank you so much for your replies. We decided to go with Med El for several reasons but basically we felt the technology is further advanced than Cochlear with the exception of water-resistance. I believe our son will experience better sound quality with Med El. We like the smaller processor, the longer, more flexible electrode array and the fact that our son will not need to change the settings using a remote when he is in different hearing situations. I understood with Cochlear the remote is necessary to change the settings and I think the remote was more complex to figure out. We did seriously consider Cochlear because of its water-resistance/proofing but I kept reminding myself that Luke is 18 months old now but this is a life long decision. He will be with Med El when he is 8, 18 and 38. We felt this was the best decision long-term and I feel like we made the right decision for us. I have been assured that Med El is working on water-resistance/proofing but they want to offer a good solution when they do. It is coming though. Our son's surgery was on October 26th and it went very smoothly; he was out in under 2 hours. The doctor said it was one of the simplest surgeries he's had in some time. He was activated on Tuesday, November 20th and is doing great. He is turning his head to different sounds and is enjoying hearing new things. He is babbling more word like sounds although we haven't heard any true words. We are 100% committed to getting him the therapy he needs to do his very best and we are working with him at home. He is going to therapy once a week. Is that typical? Should it be more? He is in a Kids Day Out program two days a week with other kids his age. The other three days he stays with a neighbor and one other child. I'm beginning to wonder if it would be helpful for him to be in a pre-school program. Perhaps when he is 2 years old. Any thoughts?
  5. I am the Mom of an 18 month old son who will receive a cochlear implant on his right side next month. Right now, we are trying to decide between two brands...Cochlear and Med El. How did you decide? We've been told the good thing is they are both good and children have great success with both so we really can't make a bad decision. But, how to decide is difficult. I'm just reading everything I can get my hands on. It does help to read about others experience with the CI and that it takes time. My son received hearing aids a week ago and we know he can hear better, especially on his left side, but the progress is slow. He's not turning towards sounds or his name, we can't read a book to him yet. Interestingly, he is quieter. He used to yell/grunt and slam cabinet doors and doors all over the house. He's not doing that as much now. I see a difference in him but it is so subtle I can't explain it. I've always felt my words never got through to him, like there was a wall between us, but with the hearing aids I don't feel that way. I'm sure the CI will make it even better. Any advice you have about choosing a brand? Expectations? Anything is appreciated.
  • Create New...