Question for members with one CI

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Who has hearing loss in both ears and one CI

AND that CI was implanted in their better hearing ear?

How did you decide to implant your better hearing ear?

How are things going with your CI?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

This reminds me of you.  You implanted your better hearing ear right?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Mary Beth

You're right. I did my better ear. Originally I was gonna do the worse ear but at my pre-op appointment one week before surgery, my surgeon changed his mind because I told him I can only afford to do one ear in this life and he felt that I had a better chance of success doing my better ear. 

Seems to have been the right decision because now I can use the phone and do virtual meetings over the computer - things I could never do when I used a HA. I'm also enjoying music while I'm driving. 

I'm very happy with my one implant. Doesn't seem like I'm hearing from one side although I really am. I'm sure having two implants is super but I have no complaints even though my last mapping was about 2.5 years ago. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

no I decided to wait a bit longer.  I like how I hear so I’m hesitant to change at the moment.

Any idea when you will get MAPped next?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

With monkeypox in S. Florida now I don't feel to fly for a mapping. So maybe next year I will go. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I am glad you are doing well @Jewelwith your stable MAPs.

Hiya!

I have left ear implanted. I had 50 percent hearing in both ears and chose left. I chose left because left ear had the most trouble with ha for 5 yrs. 

I have no ha yet onthe right (next month)

I also had haircut style with left side shaved so it all works well for me! I like to decorate.

So i rehabbed alot and hear so much more even though just one sided most of the time.  Nearly all of my rehab has been bluetooth and at 9 months converse well and removed all closed captions tvs in the house.

Yes i still need to turn my head at times to get it all, but im sure ha will bring it all together.

Bestcwishes and good luck!

• 7 months later...

Hello 👋 

I had 49% hearing in both ears a year or so ago, i am 66 yrs old with gradual hearing loss. 

Implanted left, after surgery had some residual hearing. After training ci a year received an oticon hearing aid.

After 3 months i hear well. I do prefer the ci side as far as the sound quality.  Modern hearing aids are better than their predecessors but still just amplify sounds and have feedback, etc. As soon as the opportunity arizes, i will implant the other side!!!