Hi, new here

Dylan S.

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations, Dylan. I like the security of the hair clip too.

I don't have it but I agree - it's a big help! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

You have just taken a big step in your hearing journey. Try to me patient as they fine tune your hearing. Let us know how things are going

I've been having some problems regarding my Samba device. A lot of the time when people are talking or I hear a sound I get an uncomfortable distorted noise that can almost be painful at times. I also feel as if sounds are too hollow or lack certain frequencies. I feel a little let down and I'm wondering could there be a problem with the device itself? I had a better experience with my previous in ear hearing aid... I'm wondering what can be done. I've emailed my audiologist about this issue but I will continue to use it

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course there is a solution.

A month ago, I had hyperacoustic episodes where higher frequencies were too loud and made screechy noises. After that we raised a little bit lower frequencies and this effect has gone. My favourite test during tuning session is clapping, crushing a piece of paper and - music of course. There you can find right balance.

You are not really missing some frequencies than they are not equally adjusted so part of the spectre is not raised enough so your brain means they are not present.

Right now, my middle frequencies are little bit to weak so when I clap with my hands I feel something is missing; but if they were not presented at all, you couldn't understand certain parts of words. You can also play with some player with equaliser like VOX for instance and you'll find what is missing.

When I do my tunings I usually ask 2 sessions for 2 separate days: today we work at the present tuning map, tomorrow I get back to improve what I have reminded during the day which I use to accommodate to the new setting at one time and also understand what should be changed.

So - Dylan, you should play a little bit more with your Samba: on that way solution will come out.

Welcome Dylan!

I am a new CI implantee.

You've come to the right sight for information.

Good luck and keep us posted

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Dylan

Make sure you keep a detailed list of issues you have to bring to your audiologist. This will really help fine tune things. Congratulations again.

Keep us posted. Try not to get discouraged. You just started this journey. Try to look forward to what you have in store.

• 2 months later...

Had my follow up yesterday, it was a better experience. My audiologist did her best to try and eliminate the unwanted distorted rattling noises I was getting, and it appears it has subsided but hasn't entirely been resolved. Is it expected that this could happen? I'm hearing better than before but I still can't really hear myself clearly when I plug my good ear. Am I not supposed to hear my own voice much differently? I'm afraid of turning it up any louder and increasing the distorted noise! I'm curious of anyone who has the Bonebridge, are you hearing yourself much better with it on? (question not directed to those who are SSD). I'm going back in a week to see if I can do anything else with it, other than that it most certainly has been better.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Dylan,

thank you for coming back to inform us how are you going with your BB.

I am not sure what to say to you because I hear myself same with or without my Samba. If I am not mistaken, you (in Canada) have the newest model of BB - Samba which is much better than the previous outer unit Amade.

Beside your audiologist have you ever had present a Med-El representative during your tuning sessions? Because, there is a chance that you feel changes because during the adaptation to a BB, but you should not hear any distortions. At least, I do not hear any. Are you sure that all frequences are tuned equally well?

Thanks for the reply Ivana. No, I did not have any Representative during tuning. My audiologist thought the lower frequencies could be causing reverb which would be the reason for the distortion. So the low frequencies were lowered and the overall gain was increased. I don't feel like the gain is too loud so volume shouldn't be the issue.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, I had since December 2 tunings where I have found few things:

a) if my higher frequencies were too high, I felt hyperacoustic phenomena when all voices were so loud and certain voices were significantly harder to understand,

B) then we lowered little bit higher and raised lower frequencies and I gain more balanced volume in order I didn't have that hyperacoustic episodes, my rate of speech intelligibility increased significantly - before I had a feeling that certain parts of words I just guessed not really heard,

c) than lastly we did not touch lower but increased middle frequencies and I got further balance of speech intelligibility but also clearness of sound.

Summary: I guess you need to play with your audiologist with balance - I was also so intrigued that such a subtle change of certain frequency changes our sound perception so fundamentally. Almost incredible :)

I would highly advise you that you ask for a presence of Med-EL representative during your tunings: they see much more the Bonebridge implantees than any audiologist and knows much more about device.

I recommend that you do not just listen words during tunings than also ask your audiologist if he or she can reproduce you certain songs where you can hear separately more tones and you can better clarify what is wrong. Or clap with your hands - this is the best test for describing what is wrong.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the reply Ivana. No, I did not have any Representative during tuning. My audiologist thought the lower frequencies could be causing reverb which would be the reason for the distortion. So the low frequencies were lowered and the overall gain was increased. I don't feel like the gain is too loud so volume shouldn't be the issue.

And - what is the effect when you lower them? Did your reverberation lowered or stayed same?

• HearPeers Heroes

Perhaps this is a good direction to work with your audiologist further but not to endanger your intelligibility.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Ivana

Take baby steps

Had another appointment yesterday. My audiologist decided to lower the gain significantly and increase some of the low to mid frequencies. Distortion of sound is minimal. It's not entirely gone which can be a bit unnerving but it's much better than it was. In terms of quality of sound, it's a bit quieter than I'd like but at least it's not screeching. I guess loudness must be sacrificed to decrease the chance of distortion, or at least for now ? Overall, it's ok. Not sure if ossiculoplasty would have had a better outcome for me or not... Probably go to the audiologist again in a few months, unfortunately I have to travel by air to get there :o (Expensive!!)

• HearPeers Heroes

Dylan

Give it a little time. Your brain has to get used to the new input it is receiving. Relentless Forward Motion!! Keep plugging away. Sounds like you have a good audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

Had another appointment yesterday. My audiologist decided to lower the gain significantly and increase some of the low to mid frequencies. Distortion of sound is minimal. It's not entirely gone which can be a bit unnerving but it's much better than it was. In terms of quality of sound, it's a bit quieter than I'd like but at least it's not screeching. I guess loudness must be sacrificed to decrease the chance of distortion, or at least for now ? Overall, it's ok. Not sure if ossiculoplasty would have had a better outcome for me or not... Probably go to the audiologist again in a few months, unfortunately I have to travel by air to get there :o (Expensive!!)

Thx for the replies and your guys help :)

Anytime Dylan ;)

Regarding your observation - this is very good that she succeeded to minimize distortions. I would recommend a staged approach - this means elevating your volume step by step. You need some time so your brain can process the new input, and then you can increase further your volume. How many times I meant - ok, this is loud enough... Oh, no... it's not... - 

The Bonebridge is using your bone conduction path so I don't see a point for that ossiculoplasty if it really does not built you a functional hearing path; this means ossicular chain in any shape connected to some kind of ear-drum and the round window. The other possible solution is the Soundbridge put directly on the round window. It could give you perhaps more focused input to the inner ear.