Who is successfully using the AudioLink cabled to a TV and streaming to Rondo 3

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

A member is experiencing problems with AudioLink streaming to Rondo 3 when cabled to the TV.  Sometimes the AudioLink cuts out and sometimes it stops streaming while actively watching a show on TV.

Is it the cable to TV connection?

AudioLink malfunctioning?

AudioLink to Rondo 3 connection?

Interference from other nearby BT devices?

Any suggestions to help?

All that I can comment on this is that my Audiolink never worked with my TV because - according to Medel costumer service - my TV is too old to connect with it (I do not know how old it is).

But maybe consider that as a possibility?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Good luck fixing the issue!

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10 That is interesting because AudioLink uses an old audio connection.  Most people have the opposite experience.  Their newer TVs no longer have the old style connection that AudioLink uses and they need to buy an adapter.

@Mary Beth,

That's just what I was told

When I first got my audiolink, I tried to put it in. And even with the help of my much more tech-savvy father, neither of us were able to make it work. 

When we contacted Medel customer support, they told us that it was too old a tv.

It isn't ancient; it's a flat screen; but it's not a smart TV or anything. So I thought that that is what I needed. I have yet to buy one though (...I have to buy me a new Audiolink first 😒)

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

does your TV have white and red RCA audio out jacks?

@Mary Beth

Yes, 1 white, 1 red, 1 yellow (for those 3 main ones)

Then some more red, white, green, and blue in the back

I had tried them all

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

If you know the brand and model of your TV I will see what I can find out if you want.

@Mary Beth thank you. 

There’s seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. it started out with sporadically “blinking” (disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly). Sometimes it would be more than a few seconds. Rarely would it disconnect/shut off and not re-connect right away. I thought I solved it by moving it as far away from my WiFi router as possible. 

Yesterday while streaming and less than 5 minutes from the end of a movie it disconnected/shut down and as it was late and I’d been streaming all day I just went to bed. AL was in its base and connected to power, Rondo 3 never shut off nor did I get a low battery warning. Today after getting home from work it shut down within 30 minutes after starting The Martian. I got up and picked the AL out of the base and clicked it back in and watched the entire movie with no further issues. 

Really just hoping to figure out what’s going on with this. To the best of my knowledge, nothing is different on days when

1) there’s no issues

2) AL/Rondo 3 disconnect frequently/few times 

3) AL “shuts off” once (or more)

Time spent streaming: can happen within the first hour, after 12+ hours, or anywhere in between. 

The setup: Vizio 55” smart TV purchased in 2015, AL hooked into the headphone jack behind TV, while streaming AL is in base connected to power, TV is muted so  sound isn’t coming from speakers plus streaming. I’m by now means an expert but have eyeballed the wires and see nothing wrong and have also unplugged and re-plugged both in. Could be the AL, could be something I’m not seeing about the wire, could be the TV… not sure. 

19 hours ago, tmscarlett10 said:

All that I can comment on this is that my Audiolink never worked with my TV because - according to Medel costumer service - my TV is too old to connect with it (I do not know how old it is).

But maybe consider that as a possibility?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Good luck fixing the issue!

Hi, lauren pointed out a plug in on the back of older tv. Its one single plug. I plugged in AL cable to base. Al sits in base. My sonnet connects automatically. I sit more than 10 feet away.  I have some issues but im convinced its our cable tv as sound changes a bit due to multiple tvs on our country dish. I do have disconnects (not regularly maybe three times a week) best fix is pulling AL out of base, count to 10, replace. Its disruptive but i cant 100 percent blame the AL. I can walk to the bathroom, go down stairs, hear that tv all over the house!!!

I do not have a rondo, this is sonnet 2 connected to audio link.

I have noticed when i use the audio link cabled to my phone i have crackling sound with movement,  could be cable or audio link, i just not sure enough to call service. I bt with both audio link and audio stream for music with success.

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@tmscarlett10

If you know the brand and model of your TV I will see what I can find out if you want.

Hi tiffany, look at the back of your tv away from the side that has colored jacks. I received a couple cables in kit, but they would not work in those, so lauren had success and pointed out the analog jack!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

If your AudioLink is under warranty, I would email my CSR at Med-El and request a replacement.  You have done all the troubleshooting already.  

Thanks all!

I'll give it another shot when I get my replacement

Just sent an email on this. If I don’t hear back in a few days I’ll try calling. Perfect timing as so far it’s shut down on me three times today. It’s not happened this many times before. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

Keep us posted.  Something is not right.

Hopefully the replacement will resolve it. Glad to know it’s not just me. 

70128301-853B-48BB-B67F-F8C0553D3196.jpeg

Nice! I guess i should do this also before it quits completely...i know there are issues with where the cable plugs in once i take it out of the base i get crackles with movement

Welp… got the AudioLink today and quickly packed up the defective one for return. As luck would have it…

I’m now without an AudioLink at all. 

When I received my AudioLink at my clinic it was all one piece and the box I got said AudioLink main unit. There was no charging station so I just grabbed the defective unit, packed it up, and took it to the nearest FedEx secure drop box. I didn’t open up the AudioLink box until I returned home. 

Apparently you’re supposed to take it apart. And keep the back part. The instructions which I did read thoroughly before doing what I did said only to return equipment. And as it had been all one piece when I received it I’d assumed there was a whole unit. I know now that is not the case. 

Emailed my rep to see what to do now, but I’m going to have to find something else to do as I can’t use the Rondo for streaming until I have a whole unit again. Kicking myself right now.

@MED-EL Moderator wondering if equipment return instructions could be more clear? 

AudioLink.pdf

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Lauren! I think the return instructions sometimes may vary case by case: I've been trying different assembled AudioLinks, without the accessories, but the front and back part were already put together. Once I received the two pieces in two separate boxes brand new, but it was still a complete unit after assembly. 🤔

@Lauren, sorry about that. I know it stinks not having the tech we need to do daily tasks.

Hopefully it will be get sorted out soon. 

What helps for me when talking on the phone, is putting it on speaker. 

Yikes! So that kinda sucks lauren, you are being nice about it..im dependent on mine. So you just got like new guts? Im kinda shocked because that means we do assembly and what if we are not mechanics?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren and @Dianna

Whenever we process a warranty exchange, we only receive the “broken” part.  So if a Sonnet processor is malfunctioning we receive just the control unit and move our coil, cable, battery pack and battery cover.

I hope Med-El sorts it out quickly for you Lauren.  Bummer.

I can dig that, im getting better at device mechanic. The mic cover is a scary one...the other day i was being so gentle, old one popped off and disappeared! Found it later in bed!

11 hours ago, Dianna said:

Yikes! So that kinda sucks lauren, you are being nice about it..im dependent on mine. So you just got like new guts? Im kinda shocked because that means we do assembly and what if we are not mechanics?

Yeah, picture of what I received. It was in the same type Med-El packaging that everything else was in. I didn’t open it or question it. Just got home from work, opened the box, grabbed the defective unit and the return mailer, then off to run errands (to include depositing the mailer). Only after returning home later did I open it… 

Still kicking myself, and will be for a while! Lol. 

Wonder what Med-El will think of the “so funny story but guess what…” email come Monday. 

17C686FA-6BC2-4143-BF8B-F5B40395F9E2.jpeg