Anyone using a Phonak hearing aid with a Med-El CI?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna is interested in hearing your experiences using a Phonak hearing aid with a Med-El CI.

I am on my 4th Phonak HA model (first single unit). 

What I most like: it uses the same size disposable batteries so if I’m using them I only need to purchase the Implant version as opposed to two separate sizes (or Implant and non-Implant). My previous Phonaks all used 13s. Battery size wasn’t on my list of considerations so this was just a lucky happenstance. My AuD was chuckling that I was most happy about this, of all things.

It still has T-Coil so if I want to I can stream bilaterally. I’m ok using just my CI so as time has passed I’m not relying as much on the HA anymore and mostly prefer the CI now anyways. 

Are there any specific questions @Dianna?

Lauren you are my heroHi 💘 thankyou in advance, ive heard the naida and one other have BT and work with non-apple

Ok, so

What is the name? I too love the battery part.

Does it sync with the ci? Im told my phone will sync the two.

Is the ha as large as sonnet2 processor?

I feel as though i need more bass sounds, something is missing, im hoping ha will fill in. When you use the two together do you like the sound?

One last question, do you feel like you dont need an ha on non ci side?

I am hesitant to check out second ci since i have about 50 percent hearing on that side

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

check out the topic on dual audio streaming.  Streaming from a phone to AudioStream and a hearing aid at the same time is very limited to just a few phone models and just a few hearing aid models at this time.

29 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

check out the topic on dual audio streaming.  Streaming from a phone to AudioStream and a hearing aid at the same time is very limited to just a few phone models and just a few hearing aid models at this time.

Hi mb, i have every thing, proper phone, etc. I will let the clinic help with ha selection. One of my lab techs said "oh dont go to costco, go to our hearing clinic" so im working on that. Ive concluded the otarlyngology audi i have doesnt recommend the hearing clinic for some reason.

@Dianna

I have the Phonak Naida Paradise P90-UP. It uses the same size batteries as the Sonnet. I have less than 50% hearing in my right ear but it works. It helps keep me balanced. I’m only wearing my HA for work and important appointments. Otherwise I’m fine with either Sonnet/Rondo alone. I’ve been taking phone calls using only my CI for the past ~6 months. Sometimes I realize I’m not noticing the CI so will lift the coil off my head to check and I’m still being blown away with how I’m adjusting to the CI. HA alone sounds very limiting to me. 

It doesn’t sync with my CI electronically. What my AuD has been doing with my CI is slowing it down in mapping appointments to match the HA. @Mary Beth will know the correct terminology (😊) but when the CI and HA have been out of sync for me is when I get an echo because the CI is much much faster than a HA.

Dual Streaming: Only certain Android phones and a limited number of HAs can stream bilaterally directly via Bluetooth. The Phonak i have does have BT and can connect to my phone (I’ve not bothered trying this yet), and also has T-coil which is my only option right now for bilateral streaming. 

The only situation where I prefer my HA over my CI is when listening to music. My AuD and I are still working out some kinks in my mapping to get me fully up and running. 

See picture for size comparison. Hope the rest helps.

AE2F4299-6F1E-4109-BB7B-14C5B2A0D847.jpeg

On 6/6/2022 at 8:36 AM, Dianna said:

Hi mb, i have every thing, proper phone, etc. I will let the clinic help with ha selection. One of my lab techs said "oh dont go to costco, go to our hearing clinic" so im working on that. Ive concluded the otarlyngology audi i have doesnt recommend the hearing clinic for some reason.

Hi, i have discovered my ci center at univ of iowa is separate from hearing center. I believe since i was a self referral bypassing all of the referrals from any center or ENT., i guess. Now im working on hearing aid center. I guess i jumped lots of limbo poles in being a go getter!