Bonebridge implant tomorrow ......scared!

Alexmeek

Hey lovelies I have managed to get back on here and wanted to let you know that I have finally finished having all the testings, CT scans etc and I have my implant tomorrow!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well definitely good luck with your surgery. Getting a BB is a walk in the park people say. Ivana is our BB expert. She has a BB and is an ENT. She will have the most information. Yes there are sorts band you can wear with your Samba as for how long you will be out of the gym is an individual thing it may be a day or two or none at all. Or it could be a week. Just rest up and follow your instincts and your surgeons advice. Given they know your medical history and can best determine what is the best course of action. Keep us posted!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sending positive vibes your way. Good luck with your surgery. Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Alexmeek!

Sending you also good vibes - everything will be just fine. :) Relax! ;)

The surgery is a pretty routine... A simple cortical mastoidectomy - if there are no some anatomical natural modifications, stays a simple procedure.

So - you actually have a single sided deafness due to the stapedectomy complications. This is pretty rare situation - only 1% patients have to face with this result. Moreover, otosclerosis is usually bilateral but progress between patients and also between 2 ears of same patients are different. In your case, stapedotomy for second ear is absolutely contraindicated. 

However... Postoperative difficulties? I have none - actually I have rode a bike for 30km just 4 days after the surgery and it was a really good relaxation. I have regain strength much earlier than I stayed at home. Shaving? I had none - possibly just a short stripe, anything more is not necessary at all. I had a bandage until 3rd day, then just a small gauze over a wound, my surgical stitches were removed on the 7th day after my cut was examined so surgeon could be sure that wound had healed. Then I could washed my hair. Postoperatively, shampoo does not harm but washing your hair is not good because it can destroy vulnerable wound edges. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Ehhhh... Regarding helmet... I still haven't found good solution - BB lies definitely on your head but it should not have a firm contact with the interior of the helmet. It should definitely be a modified helmet. 

Regarding the accessories equipment - you can buy a Sport Headband, before that I take WaterWear for Rondo because if you sweat a lot like I do, just a Sportsband will not be the best solution. On the other side, there is no WaterWear for BB/VSB so don't go swimming with it.  It's not covered if anything happen but it is very useful against sweat although it's little bit too big. 

There is a Siemens miniTek which should enable you possibility to listen music over Bluetooth but it is still not efficient as I would like it is to recommend it. But I am still testing it so this is not a definitive check. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Ugh... keep forgetting everything what I want to say - for a mobile phone you don't need anything special because even direct using of mobile phone to the BB is very good.

I have been reading different satisfaction remarks, and if BB doesn't work good for you - there is always cochlear implantation which has its advantages, for instance you can rehabilitate your ear to function again although it's a quite big process. On this way you can regain the hololocation ability again - simply because you have 2 ears. So, whatever happens - it's not tragedy or the end of the world, there is still at least one solution. ;) 

Good luck and if you have any questions - we're here! ;)

I didn't know otosclerosis surgery could lead to single sided deafness... Anyway, I had the bonebridge implanted a couple weeks ago and will be getting my Samba on the 25th. My recovery time was excellent, I was a little sick a couple hours after surgery but after a few days I was back to normal. You may have some leakage from your ear for up to a couple weeks post op. Hope all goes well...

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Dylan - it can because if the footplate of the stapes is compromised at the entrance into the cochlea, this is a cause of deaf ear. 

Thanks everyone, just landed at hospital, thanks for ur updates hey r really useful especially Ivana as always! Will try and update later after surgery

• Like 1

Hey all, just home after a very long day! Surgery has gone well! Pressure bandage on until tomorrow and have a bit of discomfort like I have laid on my ear funny and it throbs! Painkillers should do the trick but very excited to see how this all turns out! Relieved it's over and now on my path to bionic xx

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Alexmeek,

Great! So everything went smoothly - for now, just rest as much as you can so healing process doesn't stop. ;)

It's ok - throbing will go away for 7-10 days, it's the consequence of the surgery.

Now - real work starts! ;) keep posting here about you whatever you wish to write or ask :)

Thanks Ivana! Just very tired and ended up having some morphine for pain! Didn't expect as much pain but No pain no gain! Everyday is a healer and it's been a looooonnnnng day! I am overwhelmed and happy I'm on the road to recovery xx

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear your on the mend. Good luck the few days and rest up!! Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great! Thanks for letting us know. Now rest easy.

Hey all, just home after a very long day! Surgery has gone well! Pressure bandage on until tomorrow and have a bit of discomfort like I have laid on my ear funny and it throbs! Painkillers should do the trick but very excited to see how this all turns out! Relieved it's over and now on my path to bionic xx

I'm curious, can you hear a metallic sound when you flick your teeth or bite down? I can after having been implanted. Good to hear you're doing well...

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Keep posting us on your incredible journey!

I'm curious, can you hear a metallic sound when you flick your teeth or bite down? I can after having been implanted. Good to hear you're doing well...

Hey Dylan no all feels very secure just throbs like I have laid on it the wrong way at the mo! Bandage of tomorrow which I'm hoping will help! Aches when I eat and talk but told this will start I calm down! Not very comfortable for sleeping at the moment! Hope that helps! Any more Q's please ask!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana! Just very tired and ended up having some morphine for pain! Didn't expect as much pain but No pain no gain! Everyday is a healer and it's been a looooonnnnng day! I am overwhelmed and happy I'm on the road to recovery xx

Well... No matter what it is still a mastoidectomy: a temporal bone drilling, it is supposed to pain at least a bit.

Yes - new challenges on the horizon...:);)

• HearPeers Heroes

You still hear that sound, Dylan?  :huh:

Pressure bandage now off and feel more human yay! No I can get some sleep! Xx

• Like 1

Pressure bandage now off and that horrible throbbing has dispersed! Still a little painful but a lot more manageable! Feeling more human and on the path to recovery!