Why chose medel

Penelopesmom

• HearPeers Heroes

HearPeers is mentioned in the red binder I received when implanted. The private Med-El Cochlear Implant Duscussion Group on FaceBook is in no way connected with Med-El. It was started by users and they wanted a place to gather that was independent.

• HearPeers Heroes

in Canada we don't get a red binder. We are totally in the dark up here. As I said I was told to look at the AB site.

• HearPeers Heroes

HearPeers is mentioned in the red binder I received when implanted. The private Med-El Cochlear Implant Duscussion Group on FaceBook is in no way connected with Med-El. It was started by users and they wanted a place to gather that was independent.

I am familiar with the status of FB Med-EL group - as Kara, I have found this group totally unexpectedly. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I learnt about this forum from the beautiful Med El brochure I got in my CI center during my pre-surgery appointment. Then I got that red folder with my Med El kit after surgery that contained info about our forum. And also, my audiologist gave me a print out with rehab resources with all manufacturer forums mentioned on it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow Cara you really got loads of info.

• HearPeers Heroes

I learnt about this forum from the beautiful Med El brochure I got in my CI center during my pre-surgery appointment. Then I got that red folder with my Med El kit after surgery that contained info about our forum. And also, my audiologist gave me a print out with rehab resources with all manufacturer forums mentioned on it.

So USA give information about the existence of this forum. Unfortunately, other countries do not: why - I do not know.... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

After another two-week absence from the site, some updates on my prior topic comments.  Ivana, following 2 of your 3 P's ( patience & perseverance) I was finally rewarded.  Mary Beth, though I won't be in Raleigh NC at your conference later today and so will miss having coffee in person with you, I was contacted by UCSF staff (audiologist) providing me names of two Med-El CI users in north-central California.  I hope your conference is productive for all attendees, you especially.  Adam, I had largely gotten past the numbers issue and was persisting in finding a way to meet with Med-El CI users.  Doyle, welcome to the topic!  Appreciate your enthusiasm. Cara, My confidence in my choice will be will be higher having met two users in real life.  Both seem enthusiastic about meeting with me.  Just need the coordinate schedules now and do some driving.  Sandy, as a CI candidate I was encouraged by UCSF at my first visit to contact the three manufacturers and use their sites to find user forums.  I would really have felt lost had it not been for my access to the sites (especially this one!) and chance to look through the topics being discussed.  I spent a fair amount of time just looking at the topic exchanges before starting to participate.  I remain so grateful to all of you for your candor and help.  Kara, strange to me that you were referred to AB site (only).  It was surprising to me that I did not find the names UCSF has just provided me on this forum's member list.  I'll ask each of them what their experiences were (did they know of it?; did they use it?) when I meet with them & pass my findings on.

• HearPeers Heroes

Chris - your research sounds great. It is extremely interesting to follow your quest for a (pirate) treasure. I really appreciate when people do whatever they can to choose their implant with peace in their mind. 3P concept always work - hard work always pay off all efforts.

Please, keep us informed whatever your choice will be. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Chris,

You would've loved this workshop. A gentleman who is being implanted on Tuesday attended as well as many Med-El CI users , both unilateral and bilateral and people who are awaiting their bilateral surgery dates. It was so enjoyable to meet so many Med-El users and listen to their stories. It was also great to meet so many Med-El staff members and Patient Support Team volunteers. I hope you do get to meet up with real live Med-El users and have that cup of coffee.

• HearPeers Heroes

And Chris, if possible, please, share with us what you know from that two people you are going to meet. Something that helps you to make a decision to go with Med El or not.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ultimately, you will hear with all 3 brands. What it will boil down to is what you want to get out of the processor and what your lifestyle is like.

I usually tell people to make a list of things that are important to them and things that aren't. This will help narrow the field a bit

• 2 weeks later...

After yet another two-week absence from the site (that I'm confident won't become SOP) good news.  Adam, my brand choice now is firmly Med-El.  Cara, Mary Beth and Ivana, on Friday 20 May I met with "my" two Med-El users identified by UCSF together!  One is Donn who is bilateral (Dec. 2009 & Mar. 2013) after sudden hearing loss, the other Julia who is unilateral (Dec. 2005) after spinal meningitis at 16 months of age.  The meeting really confirmed my earlier "leaning".  A very relaxed but really productive 3-hour dialog with both at the same table.  You can find Donn's video (outside with aircraft) on the Med-El site.  Both praise Med-El's technology and customer (patient) service (support).  Each provided candid answers to my questionnaire (also taken to AB meeting in Mar.)  Both had their surgeries at UCSF. Both identified and recommended support strategies and local sources for CI users (and spouses).  Both asked me to maintain communication with them as my CI journey progresses.  While I missed Mary Beth's workshop, I did have that cup of coffee with Med-El users!  Kara, Sandy, and JDOYLE, all this to/for you as well and thanks again for your enthusiastic support for Med-El.  Donn told me that he used Facebook for almost all his fellow user contacts (rather than this site/forum) and Julia is waiting for the next technology advance before going bilateral; she no longer wears a hearing aid in her non-CI ear. Says HA can't begin to compare with CI.  Donn said that he waited too long to go bilateral, should have done it at least a year earlier.  Both prefer their Rondos.  I'll try to move to other forum topics (and other CI user issues) since I've answered the question "Why Med-El" to my satisfaction. Thanks for your patience. 

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great Chris. You will find lots of dialogue on the Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group FaceBook site as well. The conversations tend to differ between here on HearPeers and in that FaceBook group so there is benefit in participating in both.

Welcome to the Med-El club.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great! A well balanced decision is pretty important for a patient as well for the other participants in the process. This is a starting point where you can return if somewhere in the process you accidentally lose yourself - like a lifeguard jacket.... 

Although I haven't choice, at certain moment I firmly decided that my Bonebridge is what I've been waiting for long time - so when I had issues during changing my processor (tuning and etc.) I always returned to that point... It was almost as my safety zone - ok... now we'll try.... (...). ;)