Hi from Pacific Northwest

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

I see optimism in you with hesitation.... So I look at things from the positive side. That is what keeps me going.

I think about myself as a realist, but I definitely have some  kind of "optimistic aberration". So, as a optimistic realist I look at things from all possible sides but then deliberately stick to positive perspective that keeps me going :)

I agree with Adam's very good point that the confidence and calmness are the big factors in making the right decision, and coping with challenges. I do believe in that. But at the same time I am a little bit adventurous. So, it would be enough for me to be 95% comfortable to go bilateral to start moving in that direction. So far I have only about 92% :) Seriously, I am pretty close. But at the beginning I will fix my right ear to get a positive experience with the process.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

I never expected to go bilateral but after experiencing what my right CI gave my previously dead ear, I was counting the days until my left ear could join in the fun.

Right ear implanted Feb 2015 and activated on March 9th

Left ear implanted October 2015 and activated on November 16th

I will be celebrating my CI birthdays every year. I just love them.

• HearPeers Heroes

See, anither reason not to do both surgeries at once. Then you can celebrate to additional birthdays:) Now I got one more idea about the second CI attempt. I want to schedule my extra birthdays wisely during the year. Winter is scheduled already, Spring is reserved in the past, so only Summer or Fall are left :) Perhaps, it will happen in Fall. But I cannot promise yet :unsure:

• HearPeers Heroes

I like adventurous!!! You will know when it's time. Trust your instincts.

• HearPeers Heroes

I went bilateral sequential. My surgeries were some months apart. I wanted to go bilateral but my hospital won't do bot at same time. In hindsight, for me I'm glad it worked out that way

• HearPeers Heroes

Will follow my instincts and notify our community when I get ready right after making my mind

• HearPeers Heroes

It is a very personal decision and whichever one you make is the right one. We will be here to support you either way :D

• HearPeers Heroes

For sure!! All the way!! I really like your spunkiness. Your will be a great addition to our group!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So Cara when yourefeeling better, keep us posted on how your surgery went. Rest up and feel better soon!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Kara, that you remember about my big day. I do feel surprisingly great. Posted my story in pre-post surgery topic.

• HearPeers Heroes

My opoligies for not checking in with you. Had a pretty eventful week myself.

Congratulations and will be sure to check your post.

• HearPeers Heroes

Please, no apology, Adam. I know that you was very busy for all of us. Thank you for doing that and for your congratulations - I am really happy that I did that!

Going to read your reports right away.

Hello Cara Mia,

I knew you would need a few days to rest up.

Hope you are feeling better every day & looking forward to Activation Day.

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Elaine, I do feel good. Going to write a report about these my 7 days after my surgery. Two days left till my activation.

Hope I am ready to take anything possible happens during that day and after as I got a lot of info how different it can be.

No, I am ready for sure - so tired to be a "speechwriter" for everybody restoring in my mind what people telling me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

I'm smiling at your post and remembering well the feelings leading up to activation days. Just be prepared for anything. Some people hear speech, others don't. I heard static and beeps in my right ear that started changing to speech later that day. In my left ear (which had the much better hearing history) I only heard marimbas, then marimbas and whale songs for days. Doesn't matter though as long as you hear something. Today while wearing only my 3 month old CI, I heard hiccups from another room! I can speak on the phone with either one and hear just fine. So know that whatever you hear in two days time will only get better. I'm excited for you and can't wait to read all about it.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I hope everything went well during activation. Looking forward to the report.