How Good Can a Hearing Device Get?

Mr-LJ

• HearPeers Heroes

There are always lots of questions abound and one of the biggest questions I have is... "How good can a hearing device get"?

Can our processors get any better?...

Sadly at the moment it seems we may not ever get our perfect hearing back, and in all honesty, without appearing ungrateful, our electronic ears are a poor second place to natural hearing. I think the way forward now is for stem cell treatment and to 'grow back' proper hearing. How far these studies have got I have no idea or even if such studies are in progress.

Any thought on this by other forum members?

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow I would prefer this to nothing!! I love mr sonnet. I have had ha's for twenty years. So I am quite content with this. As to the topic at hand why second guess the gift you have received? To hear or not to hear. I think is really the question. Just think of it that at least there is an option for us. There are not many options for the blind or others disabilites. I think it's a mind frame. I tend to be content with what I have. Not what ifs or should have could have would haves. I don't wait for science to catch up with me. That's my thoughts Laurence.

• HearPeers Heroes

Everybody responds differently to CIs. That being said, I am pretty sure everyone you talk to will agree that they for sure made the right decision

• HearPeers Heroes

I would have to say the same thing. It was life changing for me

• HearPeers Heroes

I would guess that people's individual hearing history may have a lot to do with their opinion regarding the quality of sound with a CI also. I had progressive hearing loss from age 13-51 so I had adjusted to increasingly inferior sound quality over many years. When I received my first CI last February, I was amazed at how everything sounded after my auditory system settled in. It sounds so much better than my hearing aid did. My personal experience is that these CIs are amazing! I feel so thankful. They have been life-changing.

Some people become deaf suddenly and then get CIs. Although these people have a better prognosis for CI functioning many times, they are also comparing the CI sound to their recent experience with a fully functioning auditory system. The CI sound may always seem inferior to some of these people. These people may not have had the time to develop some listening skills that we have developed over years with progressive hearing loss, like auditory closure (the ability to fill in words that you did not hear clearly based on the info you did hear).

I believe CIs will continue to improve, especially in the area of music and speech in noise. The future probably has other treatments in store for deaf people living then. I am thankful that I am deaf now, with these advanced CIs available. I look forward to whatever plans MedEl has for my future hearing.

Just feeling incredibly grateful for my new hearing,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow that's right in the button Mary Beth. I never thought of that!

• HearPeers Heroes

I so agree how the ci is life changing.... Such a huge confidence booster. Without boasting, there have been a few times when I have been in a noisy environment... the pub! and have seen hearing people struggle to hear but I have somehow managed to grasp what was being said, possibly my deaf experience with lip reading, noticing body language etc has and still does help, it won't go away now I have a ci.

The feeling of having heard where a hearing person has not... is in total opposition to the way I used to feel when I have just not been able to get what was being said.

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence,

Isn't that great when it happens like that?!

Never feel like you are boasting on this forum by sharing success with your CI. We call them WOW moments and I love to read everybody's WOW moments!

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence,

Isn't that great when it happens like that?!

It really is Mary.... and there have been a few times when I could not help shedding a private tear of happiness after struggling soooo long. In my final days as a conventional hearing aid wearer, I just did not realise how bad I had got. It took my born deaf wife to say 'Go for it! its made for you'. She knew it would benefit me... and it has! Phew!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good you listened to your wife. Smile

It's refreshing to shed tears of happiness about our hearing instead of tears of sadness.

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence

I have had the same experience and loved every minute of it :D

The next time you're at the pub, lift a pint of whatever you prefer to drink, for you're new found freinds

• HearPeers Heroes

Good you listened to your wife. Smile

I don't always! ha ha ha!

(see you on the next thread! lol)

Edit for Adam....

What's your tipple Adam? and I'll drink to you. 

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth, you couldn't be more correct. There are many factors that go into Optimization of your CI

• HearPeers Heroes

Hm... I guess I did not understand your question as dissapointment with CI solely than just a reasonable thought of accepting facts but also embracing the faith. Ok - let's not complicate with religion just talk about your question - stem cells.

Your question is valid - as an ENT and medical practitioner I can say that I am familiar with fractions of present experimental science regarding the renewal of hearing cells. It's not so simple - there is no wonderous cure which will regenarate proper gearing cell at exact locus. Lot's of researches has been focused at separate morphology but also intercellular signaling. Still we have to be patient. Until then I guess it's ok to think lets improve aids and implants as much as we can. Perhaps, for me this is easier because I was born hard of hearing and although I have conductive hearing loss I will never be able to say - this is it. This is natural. Not just - this is as natural as it can be.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth - I agree also with you: the greatest stress is when you suddenly loose your hearing. A compensatory mechanisms didn't evolve... People find themselves lost...

• HearPeers Heroes

Boddingtons, anything from Sam Smith you can't go wrong with in your end of town. Love Guinness and really enjoy a good IPA. I guess my tastes are all over the map.

I also enjoy a number of different craft beers. German styles.....that a whole other post.

Cheers, mate!

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't always! ha ha ha!

(see you on the next thread! lol)

Edit for Adam....

What's your tipple Adam? and I'll drink to you. 

If I may give a suggestion - last time I was at the Heathrow airport in London (sorry, I don't know where are you from UK), I drank pretty good craft beer  which is originally from London. However, I can't remember its name sadly :( 

... but, perhaps St. Pieter's? :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

There is a St. Peter's brewery in the U.K. I think it is very young, only having been established in the early 1990's

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

There is a St. Peter's brewery in the U.K. I think it is very young, only having been established in the early 1990's

In general, to me - on top of list are German and Belgian beers.

St. Peter was as fast as I can remember of UK option. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I have to agree Ivana, you have good taste :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

Now I am thinking that 'St Peter' must have been a very keen wine drinker after his companion produced the finest wine from plain water at some wedding.  ^_^

Seriously though, I have not heard of a St Peters brewery, had to google them up though. http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/ 

• HearPeers Heroes

Now I am thinking that 'St Peter' must have been a very keen wine drinker after his companion produced the finest wine from plain water at some wedding.  ^_^

Seriously though, I have not heard of a St Peters brewery, had to google them up though. http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/ 

LOL!  :D  - I adore good English humor. In my country we were raised on hilarious humor of Monthy Phython, Black Adder and rest...:P

Yes - this one. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

;)  You should see Fawlty Towers, now that is a really good laugh. Love John Cleese.

• HearPeers Heroes

Monty Python that was a while ago. Forgot about them

St. Peter's is a very young brewery but get pretty high marks. I am going to see if I can find some here