Where do you think CI processors are headed in the future?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Years ago CI processors were body worn devices with a long cable.  A lot has changed over the decades.  Now we have BTE processors and one piece processors.  We have ways to use them in the water and many ways to vary the designs.  We have connectivity options that stream audio.  These things were unheard of decades ago.

Fast forward a couple of decades.  Where do you think CI processors will be in 2040??

I think it will be only an internal part,, no need for battery ,,, it sounds impossible but I hope so😅 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Abdulaziz

I have read articles about totally implantable CI processors and various ways of charging them.  I always wonder how the microphone is going to be able to not be lessened by being internal?  Maybe they will design a small microphone that we wear in our ear canal so it benefits from the sound wave capturing features of our physical ear?

Advancements will probably be size, durability vs weight more technology adds weight, so they have to meet demands for demands, but also stay small for the large community of hearing disabled folks.

I believe that the surgeries them selves need more accuracy. Accuracy of the implant is so imperative.  It will most likely be computerized, tons of analysis historically so that the implant itself does not have user issues.

The first CI model was the WSP carried on the belt.  Then came the MSP carried in the pocket.  Now we are using advanced technology BTEs.  I have used all three models.  While using WSP, BTE was a dream for us like going to the Moon;  but it came true.  We understand that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if people will need hearing aids or cochlear implants in the future?  I have read articles about the success science is having re-growing the tiny hairs in the cochlea of mice.  In one article the prediction was that with the next 10 to 15 years, people could go in for one-day procedures, like laser surgery for eyes, and have hearing loss reversed.  I love the idea that nothing is impossible! 

• Like 3

Here is that article regarding a breakthrough @Darlene Macis talking about I guess.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/05/220504110413.htm

I have tried to contact the scientist to know more about it but couldn't hear back from him. 😛

• Like 3