Sinus congestion and implant

Joemar10

I am usually pretty healthy and get a bad cold/sinus problem maybe every couple of years at most. Well I am now in the middle of my second bad sinus congestion/cold since late Nov. I was implanted on Sept. 1st and activated on Oct. 2nd. Everything has been going better than I had expected up until about 15 minutes ago. I blew my nose really hard and I thought I had knocked my processor off. The sound stopped immediately. I took it off and put it back on and can hear a slight sound when it seats. After that, nothing. I have tried every program and volume. My tester shows that the device is working. 

I didn't mean to post the above yet.

I am in a panic. Has anyone else had this problem? Have I damaged the device or the implant site? I have Emailed my audiologist, but will not get a reply until tomorrow. Please any words of advice or experience in this problem will be welcome.

• HearPeers Heroes

Please Joe calm down. I understand your panic. It is what it is. Try to relax the stress is worse than anything. Use a saline for your sinuses that will definitely help with that. It could be nothing so there is really nothing to do tonight. It could be that here is swelling in the ear caused by the cold so your surgeon will know best what to do. Take the processor and put it away for the night. I haven't heard of this being a problem. I am sure the more experienced CI-Borgs will be able to pitch in. Please keep us posted as to what the issue is. If it fixes it self or anything else.

• HearPeers Heroes

Josemar10

Be sure to call your audiologist as soon as you can and give details of what happened. If it is after hours, you can always call the Medel audiologist. If you are feeling any pain, I would go to your doc for a checkup.

The implants are "seated" in a recess created in the skull by the surgeon to prevent any type of movement of the implant and to help protect it if it is involved in some type of blunt force trauma.

Be sure to check the connections of the coil and to the processor. If the wire was knocked loose somehow ( not likely) you won't hear anything.

Also you can take your processor tester to see if it is working correctly. This was provided in your kit when activated. Please let us know how you are doing

• HearPeers Heroes

I understand your fear. I would call the MedEl audiologists at the 24 hour MedEl number. Have them walk you through testing your processor. If that doesn't resolve the problem, contact your audiologist first thing in the morning. If by any chance you have a back up processor, try that first.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. I just put my processor back on and it seems to be working fine.  I am going to talk to my Dr./Audiologist hopefully tomorrow, to try to determine what the problem could have been. I think it must be related to my cold, but can't imagine why.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have had a few unexplained hiccups with my processors over time but seemed to resolve themselves pretty quickly. My guess on my end was operator error in some way. Let us know how things go

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm so relieved to read that things seem better. Phew! I'd still call your audiologist in the morning. That must've been quite scary.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. I just put my processor back on and it seems to be working fine.  I am going to talk to my Dr./Audiologist hopefully tomorrow, to try to determine what the problem could have been. I think it must be related to my cold, but can't imagine why.

Excellent - now when everything is well, please - do not blow your nose so hard. It is not because your implant, it is secured by 2 mechanisms: after the electrode is inserted it is fixed by fibrin glue but also internal unit sits close in drilled temporal bone.

On the other side, blowing your nose with congested sinuses will not resolve your initial problem; mucosa of sinuses is inflamed and you can never throw out everything out of your sinuses. You actually even do not have to do that - you are blowing your nose because of stuff feeling. This means that your sinus passages are actually stuffed so the fluid from your sinuses can not get out. You should visit your otorhinolaryngologist (ENT); but until that you can help yourself by saline water and decongestant drops OTC. Your ENT could prescribe to you additional nasal drops like corticosteroid spray to relieve your infection. If you have additional conditions like allergies, you should tell this to your ENT.

Additionally, if your Eustachian tube is stuffed because nasal lining continues from nose to your tubes into the middle ear cavity, it can add certain hearing phenomena. By blowing your nose you actually force your tube to open but it is not easy when it is glued. Nasal drops will help here also as well as using saline irrigation regularly. Try - and you/ll see. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so happy that it's working for you again. Feel better!!

• 6 years later...
On 2/16/2016 at 2:49 AM, Kara of Canada said:

Please Joe calm down. I understand your panic. It is what it is. Try to relax the stress is worse than anything. Use a saline for your sinuses that will definitely help with that. It could be nothing so there is really nothing to do tonight. It could be that here is swelling in the ear caused by the cold so your surgeon will know best what to do. Take the processor and put it away for the night. I haven't heard of this being a problem. I am sure the more experienced CI-Borgs will be able to pitch in. Please keep us posted as to what the issue is. If it fixes it self or anything else.

Hello. I also have sinusitis and recently had a problem with ear congestion. Do you think this is due to sinusitis or cold, thank you.

3 hours ago, Hakanx said:

Hello. I also have sinusitis and recently had a problem with ear congestion. Do you think this is due to sinusitis or cold, thank you.

Yikes! Hi there, i hope you feel better soon, have you checked in with your doctor? I would give them a call first. I had no issues with my ears during a bad case of cold/flu last month, and ive had the reccomended meningitis shot. Oh and 10 months post surgery.