Rondo 3 and very ennoying wind noise

Arnaud

5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Put on a waterwear cover BUT do not use the adhesive seal.  Since the goal is wind block and we are not going to get the Rondo3 wet.  

Great suggestion, thank you. I'll give it a try asap.

@MarkRichardssounds like my situation is the same as yours.  I haven’t tried driving with the window open as it was super annoying when my left ear was with hearing aid taking the aid out didn’t help a lot as there was still different but annoying distorted noise.  I will have to try taking the Rondo off with window open. Besides Diesel truck with aggressive tires is nosy enough with the windows closed. Lol

@Mary Beth

Thanks for the tag and the mention of waterwear for wind blocking. My area gets frequent wind so I don’t notice it too much/block it out so I don’t have any special method for reducing the wind noises.  Thank you everyone for also the recommendation to not use/try wind block  I haven’t yet but now I know it’ll likely cause distortions  

More worried about my processors, mainly Rondo, go flying during the bad wind storms but there’s retention clips for that. 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

More worried about my processors, mainly Rondo, go flying during the bad wind storms but there’s retention clips for that. 🙂

and does it fly well ? 🙃

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

and does it fly well ? 🙃

Having accidentally yeeted a few times, yes it does fly and skitter across the floor very well. 

I have a sonnet2, it has 2 mics. Yes i get wind noise, but i had wind noise before implant lol. I drive a convertible in good weather and wear a thin scarf.  When the top is up i open windows. The wind sound kind of becomes background noise. I dont want to miss any sounds at all so i guess i am saying i dont want anything blocked, id rather my brain handle it. The mics are sensitive to the point where even short head hairs can make sound but its not bothersome.

I really really want to try a Rondo3 some time

I do experience a lot of wind noise with my Rondo3. I also experienced a lot of wind noise with every pair of hearing aids I ever had (other than Lyric. Loved those things while they worked for me). It’s one thing I have hated about any hearing device. As others have said, turning your head to shield from the wind helps. I also wear a ball cap if I am out for a walk or hanging out outside for a longer period of time. Thats seems to block some of the wind noise without compromising much hearing. 

My audiologist advised against turning the wind block setting up. She said it would distort or effect being able to hear words. Mine is set to mild now.

And anything that rubs against the processor is pretty loud. Shortly after activation I took my dog out and put my hood up because it was raining. I literally thought I was being attacked by a demon. It sounded like crazy voices. Thank goodness it was dark so no one could see my panicked reaction. You definitely get more used to it over time.

I rarely wear my sonnet2 but I feel I experience slightly less wind noise with it. Still annoying though.

Thanks Jason

I understand I'll get used to it over time, however in my case this hissing has nothing to see with the noise of the wind, it's just the noise of the friction on the Rondos' cover, not a natural sound at all, like a siren. It would be much more bearable over time if it was just a natural sound like the wind. 

Hi! I've been using Rondo3 on both sides for almost two years, before that Rondo1 (or Opus) on the left side. 

Outdoors I mostly use a "strong AI" setting that is omni directional and with max wind reduction. (I use that setting anywhere except in restaurants etc. where I only have the forward microphone turned on, or when listening to music or birds or similar, where I don't have any filtering at all).

My experience is that Rondo3 wind noice reduction is overall  better than Rondo1 (or my old hearing aids), but occasionally - probably depending on head direction - the wind noice is strong, also when riding bicycle or open car window. Still not as bad as without reduction. My guess has been that improvements only are possible to a certain limit. Also I find in several situations,  that the noice reduction suddenly stops for a while so I receive all surrounding noice, then again the reduction start to work (to much information for the processor to manage have been my guess). My overall impression is that there is a great improvement but not perfect. 

Funny enough,  on a few occasions I've been driving a convertible with the roof off, there the wind reduction is perfect, no problem to have a normal conversation (whereas the other person with normal hearing may have problems).

Tapping on the Rondo3 cover, or occasionally when my hair has grown long and I'm running, the friction give loud noices. Also the thing with leaning my head on a pillow,. So for physical contact with other objects I haven't found any solution.

For my Rondo1 I made covers in cloth to reduce wind noice, I found no use for them when switching to Rondo3,  but as  Mary Beth suggest, I find  using waterwear do help - although I've only used it on the beach until now. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 7:44 AM, Arnaud said:

Hello.

I was activated 2 weeks ago. The biggest problem with my rondo concerns the very sharp and very loud cracklings that I hear when rubbing on the top of the processor: pillow or the slightest breeze is enough to produce these very annoying sounds, which disappear if I protect with my hand. I tested and I get the same crackling if I intentionally rub the top of the processor with my finger. This is very painful for me and I no longer dare to go outside, nor open my windows at home, nor drive with the windows open. I hope there is a solution to this. 

Arnaud 

The same thing happened to me, I discussed it with the audiologist and in the next check-up, he introduced a new setting and the wind is no longer so annoying.

Normally if you rub it it also bothers a little but it is enough not to touch it intentionally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Juan Pablo said:

The same thing happened to me, I discussed it with the audiologist and in the next check-up, he introduced a new setting and the wind is no longer so annoying.

Normally if you rub it it also bothers a little but it is enough not to touch it intentionally.

Hello 

Could you tell us what is that new setting you are talking about? 

@Arnaud.I wear a Rondo 3 exclusively, (single processor system. I have almost never experienced a wind problem- Nor have I ever lost it because of wind. When I lose it, the problem is always either hat related, adding removing clothing or turning my head when on a head rest, (car or dentist for example). For those I use the clothes clip.

On the rare occasions where wind is an issue, a slight change of direction helps.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm just wondering how would it be if putting a mic cover or deadcat around Rondo 3. Does anyone want to give a try? 

I wish I could try myself but I'm not the one who is using Rondo 3 but my daughter. She is 2 years old and cannot talk right now so I cannot get her feedback.

I use a waterwear cover 100% of the time so far which works quite well. Less wind noise than my original Sonnet. Pretty unbearable without  a waterwear cover but I’ve yet to be back to the audiologist since getting the Rondo 3 to see what can be done about the whooshing.

I did try a cloth cover that helped but not as good as a waterwear.

When putting on a waterwear cover for others, make sure it is not put on upside down which then blocks the mics completely.  Gave me a huge scare one day 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just started using Rondo 3 a week ago and I haven't experienced any annoying wind noise. It's there when I go for a walk or when the wind flows too hard but seems like it isn't going past a threshold when it becomes annoying. 

Not sure if it's just because I just started and my mind isn't focusing on it. 😛

11 hours ago, Hicksy said:

I use a waterwear cover 100% of the time so far which works quite well. Less wind noise than my original Sonnet. Pretty unbearable without  a waterwear cover but I’ve yet to be back to the audiologist since getting the Rondo 3 to see what can be done about the whooshing.

I did try a cloth cover that helped but not as good as a waterwear.

When putting on a waterwear cover for others, make sure it is not put on upside down which then blocks the mics completely.  Gave me a huge scare one day 😀

How long can you use 1 waterwear in theses conditions? It costs about 10 USD/EUR 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jimit

Your Rondo3 may be set to wind block.  There are 3 wind block settings off, mild and strong.  I think the location of the magnet in our internal implant, which determines how the Rondos sit on our heads, can also impact wind sounds.

@Arnaud Some people use waterwear for windblock in certain situations.  If the processor is not going to get wet at all, there is no need to use the adhesive backing.  Using waterwear just for wind would allow many uses.

Many people report wind noise and many people do not report wind noise issues with Rondo3.  It really varies.  Some people wear the Rondo3 under their hair which may reduce wind noise.