Jump to content

Don


donniemc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello to all. Just found this forum and appreciate all the input. I have had 8 years of implant experience and the main issue I’ve had is perspiration leaking into the battery compartment. I’ve had the Rondo 1, the Opus 2 and the Sonnet 2. Due to the problems, I am switching to the Rondo 3 and I am glad to hear the battery life is a good bit longer than my previous experiences. The Opis was a good 12 hours but the sonnets were only 7 hours. Not good for my type of work. One thing that I believe needs attention with MedEl is having to have a separate device hanging around your neck for Bluetooth. Even the cell companies have technology that goes from the phone directly to a hearing aid. Any thoughts on this? Looking forward to receiving my Rondo 3s soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@donniemc

Welcome to HearPeers!

I love the AudioStream BTLE receiver for direct streaming of phone and tablet audio to Sonnet and Sonnet2.  Have you tried that with your Sonnet2 yet?  Sounds amazing.  No extra devices needed. And for bilateral Sonnet/Sonnet2 users it is true stereo for instrumentals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@donniemcI'm starting to sound like an old drum, but Rondo 3 for all its qualities has the same fundamental weakness of Med-El's streaming concept. What @MaryBeth mentions regarding Sonnet and Sonnet 2 doesn't work with Rondo: you will be stuck with an Audiolink around your neck if you want to use a telephone directly into your ear. We live in hope that Med-El catches up.

I'm averaging 17 -18 hours of battery life on a Rondo 3  but it does drop if you have Audiolink and AudioEar connected all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Mary Beth

Are you now using the AudioStream receiver instead of Artone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@David

For my Sonnets, I like both the AudioStream and Artone.

For audio quality and for music, I prefer the AudioStream.

For truly hands free phone calls, the ability to listen to streamed audio only (100/0 mix) and the ability to connect to a wider range of BT devices, I prefer the Artone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, donniemc said:

I’ll be glad to get 10 hours out of the batteries. 

I do get over 10 hours with my Sonnet 2s, but that wasn't until the 2.0 revision of the batteries. The 1.0 ones lasted barely 9h brand new and somehow started degrading quickly for me. You can figure out which ones you have by reading the tiny letters on the battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just noticed I have the 1.0 and these were my upgrades from the opus to the sonnet in February of last year. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

When did you receive the Sonnet rechargeable batteries version 2?

 

I checked my rechargeable batteries and they are all version 1.  Started off at 10.5 hours of use but quickly decreased.  So I switched to Power One Implant disposable batteries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Enegra

When did you receive the Sonnet rechargeable batteries version 2?

September 2021, then I got a couple more in May this year as a replacement for the original 1.0 batteries from 2020.

The batteries from 2021 still last about 10 hours for me. With the 1.0 it dropped to 7 hours rather disappointingly quickly. Even the local rep commented that it shouldn't have decayed that much. My map seems rather average. With a brand new battery I got 11 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

I am glad version 2 batteries are lasting longer for you.  They have not yet released in the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Enegra

I am glad version 2 batteries are lasting longer for you.  They have not yet released in the US.

There was no official announcement or anything at all. The description of the batteries on the official website also didn't change (they never listed the capacity). I only noticed the batteries being different because as a CS engineer I have an eye for small details in electronics. Then later on a FB group for Med-El I read someone else's post saying that newest batteries seem to last longer for them. So not just my experience. Alas I don't remember where they were from.

Maybe @MED-EL Moderator can tell if the revised batteries are sold in the US?

E: I just remembered, with my replacements I got a strip with the tags and the item name was something like "RCB Rev. 2.0". I have trashed it since, so can't check anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

I checked with Med-El US and version 2 is not available here yet.  Hopefully soon.

Thanks for letting us know.

I wish when Med-El made improvements and released new & better versions of items, there were announcements.  Same thing happened when people were struggling with the too long DL cable when it released and then Med-El released a shorter DL cable to help us BUT no announcement.  Users had to stumble across that information from other users.

 

It would be very helpful if Med-El announced these improvements.  Especially because it shows they are listening to our difficulties and responding to help us.  @MED-EL Moderator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Enegra

I checked with Med-El US and version 2 is not available here yet.  Hopefully soon.

Thanks for letting us know.

I wish when Med-El made improvements and released new & better versions of items, there were announcements.  Same thing happened when people were struggling with the too long DL cable when it released and then Med-El released a shorter DL cable to help us BUT no announcement.  Users had to stumble across that information from other users.

 

It would be very helpful if Med-El announced these improvements.  Especially because it shows they are listening to our difficulties and responding to help us.  @MED-EL Moderator

Oh, that's a real shame. A bit weird too, Finland generally isn't getting the new stuff right away. Perhaps it's some issue with the regulations in the US? But I hope they would roll out there soon then.

I am happy to help. I've found the huge discrepancy in the life of my ears weird, as the clinic claimed the maps were comparable on them. Then I switched the sides of the batteries (I've kept them separate)... And uh oh. Soon after that I started inquiring about getting the batteries replaced since the 7h life wasn't making me happy when the other batteries kept chugging at 10h. In my country it's actually the hospital owning the processor and its stuff, so it's a bit complicated, but they agreed to swap out two out of the tree old batteries at least.

I think the improvement of the batteries, as well as introduction of the shorter cable are missed PR opportunities.

"We've been listening to community feedback. We aim to provide the best experience possible, so we reworked our rechargeable batteries to improve their longevity" and such marketing stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We’ll it’s been a week with my new Rondo replacements. I’m really impressed that there are no issues with sweat, the batteries charge very quick and they last all day. The looks aren’t that impressive but at almost 70 years old, I think I’ve overcome that obstacle. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@donniemc

I am glad you are enjoying your Rondo3 processors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 7:34 AM, donniemc said:

Hello to all. Just found this forum and appreciate all the input. I have had 8 years of implant experience and the main issue I’ve had is perspiration leaking into the battery compartment. I’ve had the Rondo 1, the Opus 2 and the Sonnet 2. Due to the problems, I am switching to the Rondo 3 and I am glad to hear the battery life is a good bit longer than my previous experiences. The Opis was a good 12 hours but the sonnets were only 7 hours. Not good for my type of work. One thing that I believe needs attention with MedEl is having to have a separate device hanging around your neck for Bluetooth. Even the cell companies have technology that goes from the phone directly to a hearing aid. Any thoughts on this? Looking forward to receiving my Rondo 3s soon. 

Hi donnie, i have sonnet2, i wear the audiostream cover nearly all day now. I stream phone calls, messages (marcopolo) every day. I do stream music also. 

Just my bte sonnet2 and the audiostream cover, it slides on like the battery cover.

I dont have a rondo so cannot advise.

I have an audio link i cable to tv, can "stream)  upstairs, downstairs, 15 ft away wireless. You can use it in a room, dinner table, card table etc. It doesnt have to hang around your neck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 4:25 PM, Enegra said:

I do get over 10 hours with my Sonnet 2s, but that wasn't until the 2.0 revision of the batteries. The 1.0 ones lasted barely 9h brand new and somehow started degrading quickly for me. You can figure out which ones you have by reading the tiny letters on the battery.

We’ll they never let me know about the sonnebatteries but either way, sweat would Drench the batteries to no avail  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, donniemc said:

We’ll they never let me know about the sonnebatteries but either way, sweat would Drench the batteries to no avail  

 

These people are NOT up to snuff when it come to technology. When hearing aid companies don’t need seperate devices to hear on the phone and such. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, donniemc said:

I’ll be using the Rondo 3 exclusively. 

Do you always have to use a separate gadget to listen to your phone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...