Battery Life

tjwarney

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi everybody..

I've got a question concerning the zinc or other battery use for OPUS2:

Will different manufactures of battery , producing cheap or expensive  ones, harm the audio processor?  what are the best ones (recharge or not) which may extend life of audio processor, if any?

thnks

Hi - we have been discussing this topic many times. Although it is advisable to use implant batteries (designated as implant batteries), nothing will happen if you use the regular one except of their life-time.

Zinc-air batteries will not leak kind of acid or similar so a processor is secure. However, recently Zeni-power batteries were withdrawn because of possibility of explosion. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Is there any way to turn off bluetooth when you don't need it?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am not sure what you are referring to with our CIs and BlueTooth.  No CIs (none of the brands) use BlueTooth to stream audio to processors.  My understanding is that it takes up too much power.  

With Med-El at the present moment we can stream BlueTooth from device to a Bluetooth neckloop which then sends the audio signal to our processors via induction (telecoil).  By switching our processors from M to either MT or T we can access that sound or not.

I am not sure if I answered your question.  If I misunderstood, please let me know.

• HearPeers Heroes

I thougth to connect other other devices (cell phoes, TV...) you use Bluetooth technologie. For this reason was my last comment. One of the problem with processors actually is the battery life. For this reason I did the comment.

With my old earing aid, I use battery arround 10-12 days, but I understand with IC processors, you need more power.

Greetings

• HearPeers Heroes

Check out www.handsonhearing.com for how we connect to other sound sources.  It's a great website.

CI batteries do not last anywhere as long as HA batteries.  However, the Opus2 and the Sonnet both have rechargeable battery options.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Marybeth,.  It is a great website. Jeff also travels to different parts of the country putting on seminars

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

I attended the Hands On Hearing workshop presented by Jeff in Raleigh last May.  I loved it!

• HearPeers Heroes

Funnygirl, Adam. Could you share brand of batteries you use? You're two users I read more time perfomance of battery, apart from MED EL that comment Rondo have 5 days of battery life in their site.

I understand a huge of people (trying save cost), use normal 675 battery instead CI 675 battery. For this reason the life of battery is so short, I suppose and the different time from one and other one.

In my country I found both type of batteries arround 0.30€ beteen both. Or something is bad, this is an scam or I don't understand why people try to save these price difference in prejudice of CI perfomance and buy quickly new batteries.

I used this brand with my old hearing aid, and got good perfomance with it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 25/10/2016 at 9:13 AM, Valentin said:

Funnygirl, Adam. Could you share brand of batteries you use? You're two users I read more time perfomance of battery, apart from MED EL that comment Rondo have 5 days of battery life in their site.

I understand a huge of people (trying save cost), use normal 675 battery instead CI 675 battery. For this reason the life of battery is so short, I suppose and the different time from one and other one.

In my country I found both type of batteries arround 0.30€ beteen both. Or something is bad, this is an scam or I don't understand why people try to save these price difference in prejudice of CI perfomance and buy quickly new batteries.

I used this brand with my old hearing aid, and got good perfomance with it.

Hi again - Valentin,

You raised some pretty interesting questions here...;)

Well, it is hard to compare the longevity of the batteries between the users because different implantees have different hearing maps; working time depends on this a lot. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

And skin flap thickness.  It is best to test batteries for yourself and find out how long they last.  There are many different opinions and experiences when it comes to batteries.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't understand Mary Beth. Can you say me where you talk about it?

• HearPeers Heroes

Battery brands, implant power or regular power, Mercury free or not mercury free, etc are frequent conversations with CI users (and other implant users too) since we obviously rely on batteries and go through a lot of batteries.  CI users often compare the number of hours they get from disposable batteries.  There are many factors that effect the number of hours or days we get from disposable batteries.

-when reporting days of battery life that will vary depending on how many listening hours are in our days

-amount of time using telecoil or direct audio input

-there is a debate about whether the power of our programs effects battery life 

-there are conflicting reports about whether leaving the tab off for a specific number of minutes before using the battery, changes the battery life

-there is a debate about whether placing the disposable batteries in the dry kit (Med-El says we can) changes the battery life

And there are probably many more items I missed in the list.  However, one item that seems to be passed over often is the thickness of our skin flaps.  This is the skin tissue that is between the internal magnet and the external magnet.  The part that feels the pressure between the magnets.  

For me, a person who never gets the reported max hours of battery life, I just compare how batteries work for me and the way I use my CIs.  The Sonnet rechargeable standard size batteries are awesome for me.  My favorite disposable batteries are Power One implant Mercury free.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Cost is up to the manufacturer. Inexpensive or very expensive batteries have no affect on the processor. Everybody gets different results give or take a few hours. Which one is the best is more subjective. 

Another factor is how fresh the batteries are. Power ones brand new might last  4 full days. If they have been sitting on the shelf at the store for a year, they might only last 3 days. 

I would choose to buy my batteries where you know there is high traffic. If they have to restock the shelves often, you are more likely to get fresher batteries

• HearPeers Heroes

I have Updated my own experience. At this moment, I'm user since two moths. I'm user of Rondo (three Zinc Air batteries) each time.

I use the the processor in similar ambient and I haven't used the Telecoil connected to external devices yet.

Rayovac...... 3 days

Power One...4 days 

• HearPeers Heroes

I also find the best results with Power One implant batteries.  I wish Med-El USA did not stop offering those through our insurance.  Now they only offer ZeniPower implant batteries and I have not had good experiences with that brand at all.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth

this may sound funny but my wife orders my batteries through Amazon. They are VERY reasonable

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Adam.  Many people order through Amazon.  The only way my insurance covers the cost of the batteries though is to order from Med-El.  Med-El USA used to let us order Power One implant batteries through them but they have changed to only offering ZeniPower.  In another group, lots of people are unhappy because they are also experiencing problems with the ZeniPower batteries and their Sonnets and they also use their insurance to purchase batteries through Med-El.  It's just unfortunate.  I suspended my monthly battery orders through insurance with Med-El because I do not like the way  ZeniPower batteries work in my Sonnets.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry to hear that. It stinks that the insurance companies have to be so picky

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, but a lot of times they want to be more profitable instead offer a good service to their affiliates. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sadly Valentin, companies are in business to make money. They don't always pass a littles savings on to the consumer. 

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Updating my batteries life.

Rondo processor (three zinc-air batteries each time). All battery brands are special model for CI, mercury free. 1.45v and similar environment.

Rayovac Implant Pro..........675CMF... 3 days
Power One Implant Plus.......P675.......4 days 
Zeni Power Implant Power...A675P ....4 days