Unilateral hearing loss

maoffive

• HearPeers Heroes

Looking forward to hearing from you. Glad you got the appointment

I just heard back from the ENT and he agrees that the CI would be too risky for my son. The thin bone is just at the first turn of the cochlear and apparently that particular place is the most common place if it were to perforate anyway.

We are a bit disappointed but trying to focus on the fact that the Bonebridge will still be better than the CROS aids he is currently using.

He is booked in for the BB on May 4.

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for your response - ok, now you can keep your peace. I have Bonebridge - this is an excellent device too from my point of view: if you will have further questions, please be free to ask whatever you're interested in. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope this gives you peace of mind. Good luck on May 4!! We look forward to hearing from you!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for letting us know. Granted not the news you hoped for but this path will definitely improve the little guys quality of life. It also must be a bit of a relief to at least have a plan now.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for letting us know. Best of luck to your son on his hearing journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much everyone. All went well. I got a little worried because they told me it would take about 90 minutes but it ended up taking 3 hours! Apart some pain which is to be expected the only other thing is that, 36 hours after surgery his balance is still bad. He cannot walk without holding on to something. I am assuming it will go back to normal after the swelling goes down but it's not something they warned me about. Did anyone else experience problems with balance afterwards?

So happy the surgery part is over and we are both looking forward to having the processor switched on.

Thanks again for your wonderful support and answers,

Vina

• HearPeers Heroes

So sorry to read about your son's balance problems. Please be sure to let his surgeon know. I hope it improves very soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I was unsteady for the first couple of days. Glad the surgery went well and we look forward to hearing from you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you so much everyone. All went well. I got a little worried because they told me it would take about 90 minutes but it ended up taking 3 hours! Apart some pain which is to be expected the only other thing is that, 36 hours after surgery his balance is still bad. He cannot walk without holding on to something. I am assuming it will go back to normal after the swelling goes down but it's not something they warned me about. Did anyone else experience problems with balance afterwards?

So happy the surgery part is over and we are both looking forward to having the processor switched on.

Thanks again for your wonderful support and answers,

Vina

:huh:   :huh:   :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

So happy the surgery went well.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give an update. He had his switch on a month ago. He was going to be the first to have the new Samba processor but when they went to get it going it turned out to be faulty so they have lent him one of the Amade processors while they wait for a new Samba to arrive.

The testing the Audi did showed a significant improvement in his hearing but in day to day living I have not noticed a great change. His speech recognition does not seem to have improved at all.

We are waiting for our next appointment so we can talk about it all but he is very happy not to have to wear the Cros Aid. He wears his processor very proudly and loves to explain to people how it works.

Vina

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad he likes his processor, even if it is a loaner processor while he waits for a replacement. I'm curious about no difference in hearing in his daily life. Please keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thought I'd give an update. He had his switch on a month ago. He was going to be the first to have the new Samba processor but when they went to get it going it turned out to be faulty so they have lent him one of the Amade processors while they wait for a new Samba to arrive.

The testing the Audi did showed a significant improvement in his hearing but in day to day living I have not noticed a great change. His speech recognition does not seem to have improved at all.

We are waiting for our next appointment so we can talk about it all but he is very happy not to have to wear the Cros Aid. He wears his processor very proudly and loves to explain to people how it works.

Vina

Hi :)

Specifically - what kind of significant improvement would you expect? It is important to evaluate what is and what is not possible. 

Everyday life is much different than booth testings and he will have to find his way to accomodate. It is a try&mistake approach - but more important is to try than do nothing...

Also: Samba is MUCH better processor than Amade - I can tell it from my own experience. Sound is much more smooth with broader sound spectre.

I guess I just expected he would not be saying 'what?' all the time still. He is still turning his head so the good ear faces the talker (maybe that is more a learned habit that he needs to practice??)

We see the audi at the end of this month so I will discuss it all with him

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess I just expected he would not be saying 'what?' all the time still. He is still turning his head so the good ear faces the talker (maybe that is more a learned habit that he needs to practice??)

We see the audi at the end of this month so I will discuss it all with him

Unfortunately, this is an issue I have been talking about - he is not truly bilateral: he does not use that cochlea and ear. Unfortunately, if you do not have 2 working cochleas you can not have - directionality.

You can, however get somewhat of richier sound and intensity. 

Sorry - but, please don`t be dissapointed: your son will pick your frustration....