Ivana Marinac

Guide for a music rehabilitation: step by step.

I was slated to go to a school for the performing arts before I chose to go to law school. I was offered a full scholarship as a violin forte. But, after receiving a full scholarship to St Johns Law School in NY, I decided to go there, get my law degree and continue my true passion of music after that. Well, three days after becoming a lawyer, I was forced to undergo the first of what would turn out to be 13 brain surgeries for a brain tumor.  I was still able to hear well immediately after, but had to learn all my body skills again...walking, talking, seeing, dexterity, cognitive, and everything else. And by the time I did, the hearing problems started...never to resume my passion for music, never picking up my violin again. 

My violin sits on display in my living room as you walk into it. I see it every day, but never thought I’d someday be able to play it again. I had played it in concerts, my church folk group, theatrical venues in both acting on stage while playing it, and it the orchestra pit, and most importantly, for a one person audience, ME! Reading these articles about music put tears in my eyes, as does writing this. To thing, I’m going to soon be able to hear it sing again on my shoulder...thank you so much for sharing all this. 

@Hearing Again

I understand completely although your musical skills far exceed my own.  Check out Beats of Cochlea on YouTube.  For the past several years Med-El has run a contest for a paid trip to participate in it.  My friend @VeroNika participated a couple of years ago.  She is an amazing pianist who composes her own music!

@MED-EL Moderator

Will you move this to our music topic please?  Thanks 

WOW MUSIC MOMENT!  Haven’t been able to pick up my violin since December 7, 1994. My personal Pearl Harbor day. That was the date of my first of what would turn into thirteen brain tumor surgeries, causing my hearing problems. The day since I have never been able to play my violin again.  CI implanted in September of this year, activated in October. Reading all this great stuff about music, I can dream of someday soon when I can again pick my violin up and make her cry and sing like she used to. 

@Hearing Again

I hope that day comes soon!

Five weeks behind me. 

I called the high frequency sounds over speech a second layer. 

I only figured it out on my third mapping it is all the sibilance from the c, t, and s. 

It will gradually join together. 

After my activation I got home played my guitar, not so good. On to the PC and through some of my favourite classical stuff. Drums great, piano not bad. 

Now drums, piano, tuba, trombone, cello, violin, flute all sounding pretty good. 

Big orchestral bars a wonderful squelchy sound. 

Joan Sutherland and Kathleen battle sound good. 

Normal pop, Sinatra, mel tormey, Susan Boyle all squelchy. 

I'm going to listen to Susan Boyle every day until it comes right. 

I think trying to separate 2 semitones is not necessary. If I play a scale I hear every note. If I play f then e on the top string the e sounds higher. 

If I play a on the top string I hear two separate notes. 

Two fantastic cli programs. 

www.morefrommusic.org.

And 

angelsound.tigerspeech.com

They work on xp and win 7

I could go on but I don't want to bore all of you. 

Happy listening. 

Peter

Sounds good Peter!  Glad things are going well.

@pdk

Five weeks down the road I went to a live concert. 

Wagner the flying Dutchman,, shotakovich piano no 2, and Berlioz symphony fantastic. 

The whole was amazing. My favourite Berlioz the last part which I know blew me away , almost like before I had hearing aids.  I had removed my left ear aid before the concert. that ear hears about a quarter of the cli. 

Yes there were a lot of squelches but they somehow got buried. 

The piano which with recorded music sounds better. At the concert  I could hear the hammer hit the wires on high and low notes. Slow passages distort, plumby. 

I listened to the same concert broadcast this evening not nearly as good. The loud parts much more squelchy. 

When I got home I got out my acoustic guitar, it sounded absolutely terrible. 

So what can I say? Nothing is predictable. I do think good headphones bring out the worst in music but they are better than Bluetooth on the cli alone. 

.Next Week I'm going to an organ recital .what can I loose. We can go to the rehearsal in Capetown city hall for a good price. 

Did anyone say life is boring? 

Happy listening 

Peter 

I bought a piano keyboard and am re-learning to play. The last time I played piano was when I was 10, but still, that was with my profound hearing loss. On the keyboard, I don't hear the high keys, they sound more like "clacks" as it bottoms out. I went with this idea that if I play the piano, I would be able to connect the notes to the keys played, to the sound I perceive. It'd be a way for me to mentally relearn hearing sound frequencies and matching it to what would be expected to be natural sounds. I know it'll be an uphill battle at first, so I plan to focus on the simpler tunes with one or two note combos initially instead of diving right into the 3-note chords right away.

This would be supplemental/secondary activity for the speech perception activities that I would do to relearn hearing.

Given your experiences, would this be useful for me?

@Watersail

Yes and also check out Auralia Pitch Perception app.  It helped me a lot.

You have no choice. I think the piano will be good and I definitely think you should play. I'm going to continue with scales on my guitar, but have moved to my mandolin for songs. I must add that I am a lousy guitar player but I enjoy it. 

Peter 

I'd like to add some thoughts. 

Each one of us will have started from a different set of circumstances and after switch on will experience a unique result. 

So I enjoy hearing how each person relates how their hearing improves, I definitely helps to know things will improve. 

There's no going back. I'm going to spend as much time as I can with all the resources I have to attain the best results from my new device. My thinking and incidentally my audiologist agrees,  the more I practice the more things will improve. 

What I must do, is decide on a few activities and measure my improvement. 

I do keep notes of new things I hear and experiment with. 

My conclusion... If you want to try something, do it and keep on doing it until it gets better. 

I must stop now and play scales 😀 

Peter