Guide for a music rehabilitation: step by step.

Ivana Marinac

Someone in our group described the 2nd layer as budgies, pretty descriptive. Yes, try  hear under that layer , the sibilants, you soon begin to pick them up and they slowly join the real speech.

My last mapping (5th) at around 10 weeks is brilliant, I can now sing to myself again (could do that on 3rd mapping) and wild horses by susan boyle is definitely coming together. For me percussion and piano are best. Piano played fast is almost perfect , but the slower notes "boing". Most voice is still a lot of hissing  and this hollowed out sound, similar to the slow piano. I can hear the words of most of a song. It's going to take longer than the budgies.

You never know what you will pick up, try it all you will be surprised at what comes out , a perfect passage now and again especially with music you were familiar with. There is masses of Chopin Mozart and Bach piano , hours of great listening. My favorite, Beethoven 5th piano concerto with those delicate piano solos.

I also think that music will speed the speech comprehension.

Maybe the more we rave about our progress , it will serve as a wake up call for others, and there is definitely progress (if only it was faster (joke))

O Yes Live is Best!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

Music definitely takes its own journey with our CIs and it is a journey I am so happy that I took!  I love music and spend hours enjoying music everyday.

For those who can please, on the piano or a guitar play the A above middle c ,loudly. What do you hear? 

• HearPeers Heroes

It sounds fine. What do you hear?

Another good piece. 

When I play the A on piano and guitar I get 2 notes, the A followed by a lower note. at A it is the most apparent, but it happens almost from middle C for the whole octave. I really would like to find out why. If it could be fixed it would make a big difference. It has not varied from my activation. My audi had no ideas. The louder the note the more the second note happens. However if I keep playing it, the affect gradually disappears. Take a break and it happens again. 

There is a musician near me, will check him out, had to cancel a visit, have a lousy cold. 

scarfedigitalsandbox.teach.educ.ubc.ca/a-young-persons-guide-to-the-orchestra-game-and-music-piece/

Also looks good. 

My brain isn’t hearing all levels of tones.  I tried mapping for it.  Plus, when I hear a song with multiple instruments, my brain can’t sort them out.  It sounds like just noise, even if the sing is an old favorite.  I inly hear the lyrics with background noise.  If the song is unfamiliar, again just noise.  There is one song on YouTube that I seem to hear perfectly.  Stars & Stripes Forever. I heard it a lot when I was in the Air Force.  Maybe my brain is playing the song back from memory as I watch the video.  

I need to know how to train my brain for music.  I am not a musician.  I just want to enjoy music again and hear the music I play for my yoga students.  

31 minutes ago, pdk said:

Another good piece. 

When I play the A on piano and guitar I get 2 notes, the A followed by a lower note. at A it is the most apparent, but it happens almost from middle C for the whole octave. I really would like to find out why. If it could be fixed it would make a big difference. It has not varied from my activation. My audi had no ideas. The louder the note the more the second note happens. However if I keep playing it, the affect gradually disappears. Take a break and it happens again. 

There is a musician near me, will check him out, had to cancel a visit, have a lousy cold. 

I tried listening to this song you posted, but it’s unfamiliar to me, so it’s noise.  Maybe after I get my second implant it will make a difference.  Do you think listening, even if it’s unpleasant, our brains start to eventually sort it out?  Maybe if I could hear each individual instrument separately than all together, that would help.  The song Stars & Stripes Forever is actually written like this.  They feature instruments then integrate them.  I love the piccolo part.  But again, it’s totally familiar to me.  I know my memory is accompanying the sound I’m hearing.  I can play that song back in my memory without sound.  I heard it at every military parade in the Air Force, on 4th of July, and before that, our High School band played it at pep rallies.  I think the song has  became part of my DNA.  

Thanks for the post.

I just keep trying with complex music, some times passages come through. 

I Listen to Susan Boyle  singing wild horses every day. Improvement is very slow. 

So find a piece of music that works and enjoy that. For me percussion and piano are best.  So Oscar Peterson, Jacques lousier. Dave Brubeck.

If you can get IMAP from Southampton university that could be good for you 

A better more useful version.

Edited by pdk
Update url . Better version

Someone in our group described the 2nd layer as budgies, pretty descriptive. Yes, try  hear under that layer , the sibilants, you soon begin to pick them up and they slowly join the real speech.

My last mapping (5th) at around 10 weeks is brilliant, I can now sing to myself again (could do that on 3rd mapping) and wild horses by susan boyle is definitely coming together. For me percussion and piano are best. Piano played fast is almost perfect , but the slower notes "boing". Most voice is still a lot of hissing  and this hollowed out sound, similar to the slow piano. I can hear the words of most of a song. It's going to take longer than the budgies.

You never know what you will pick up, try it all you will be surprised at what comes out , a perfect passage now and again especially with music you were familiar with. There is masses of Chopin Mozart and Bach piano , hours of great listening. My favorite, Beethoven 5th piano concerto with those delicate piano solos.

I also think that music will speed the speech comprehension.

Maybe the more we rave about our progress , it will serve as a wake up call for others, and there is definitely progress (if only it was faster (joke))

O Yes Live is Best!!!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rita

Med-El created a Spotify list of songs that may be easier for CI users who are on their journey with music.  Have you tried that list yet?

Yes tried spotify but did not find any particular easylistening, I have quite a lot of the cds.

Just been listening to http://listeningadventures.carnegiehall.org/login.aspx

And it's good . Allows you to play each instrument in the orchestra. Still lots more to listen to.

Although its for kids, I think it's great.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2019 at 10:36 AM, pdk said:

I just keep trying with complex music, some times passages come through. 

I Listen to Susan Boyle  singing wild horses every day. Improvement is very slow. 

So find a piece of music that works and enjoy that. For me percussion and piano are best.  So Oscar Peterson, Jacques lousier. Dave Brubeck.

If you can get IMAP from Southampton university that could be good for you 

A better more useful version.

IMAP?  Is that an App?

On 5/29/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Rita

Med-El created a Spotify list of songs that may be easier for CI users who are on their journey with music.  Have you tried that list yet?

I don’t have Spotify.  I’ve heard of it but I’m not familiar with it.

Yes. Written for Windows . I'm still running xp, but there is a good chance it will work in windows 10  there is an option for old o/s

The program is not large. Needs Java and quick  time. You load each module separately. 

Edited by pdk
Spelling quick time

• 4 weeks later...

Been listening to Lionel Hampton. If you like jazz, the xylophone sounds great for me. Some tracks on spotify, Lionel Hampton and the all stars. There's some good squelchy trumpet as well. However there is definitely progress. 

Thanks Mary Beth.

Listening to the radio last night , they had some opera exerpts and the voices sounded good from the speakers.

Went for a walk sunday and came close to a flock of birds. Was listening to all the different chirps. Took off my coil to see what my hearing aid made of it all. A few high pitched chirps. The CI is really working.

Had and idea which I'm sure you will read. What if we all started a comment with our christian name and a code. The code would be something like... petercocmonomar2019

Peter has a cochlear CI in one ear and was activated in march 2019.  

Peter

Just listening to Frank Sinatra in Songs for Swinging Lovers. It's an old recording and his voice comes out really well. It's amazing how different recordings come out so differently.

• HearPeers Heroes

I like the old swing classics too.

I make life very simple for myself in HearPeers.  My user name is my real first name and I listed my processors and dates in my profile.