Hello, I'm new to all this

Lilly2

Hello,

I am  50 and very new to all this. I  went suddenly and profoundly deaf in my left ear about four months ago and experienced rather dramatic vertigo at the same time, for which I was hospitalized. Happily I am back on two feet and the world is stable again! I am also back doing the job I love and I am grateful to have great support from my audiologist. I feel positive and open to anything that will help and  am currently trialing a cross system hearing aid, which has helped, but I work in an environment with a lot of talking and hearing voices against background noise remains a challenge, not insurmountable, but a challenge none the less. My ENT has said that I would be able to have a cochlea implant and I am excited that this is an option. I would therefore like to know more about the procedure, costs and the benefits from people who have experienced this first hand. I understand that I will get between 40 and 50  percent of my hearing back, but I wondered about the quality, efficacy and longevity of a cochlea implant, and if this procedure is worth it. I understand too that everybody's experience is unique, but I would appreciate any positive but realistic sharing of advice and any things that I should look out for.  
Lilly

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Lily,

Welcome to the Hearpeers :)

At the present, we do not have any member which has experienced unilateral sudden sensorineural deafness but there were few members who come and go. Last it was Wynden Royalty (maybe I mispelled her name for a letter or two - pardon me, I am rewriting this from my memory).

However, there are 2 ways for helping people with your condition: a) a cochlear implant, B) bone conduction implant. A means that all the game is in rehabilitation of the affected cochlea, B means that all sound are conduct into the second ear.

Like you said, it is individual road but I would advise you not to set you preliminary numbers of rehabilitated hearing threshold: if people who have been deaf for a long time can reach up to 100% of their speech recognition score - why wouldn't you? :)

It has been proved that human brain can adapt "artificial" signal as good as natural, so - at the end, much of the final result is up to how much do you invest into practice, patience and perseverance to pursue your rehabilitation which needs time. 

Unilateral cochlear implantation and music appreciation are, at the moment, hot topics within clinical hearing science.

So, ask whatever it crosses your mind - maybe we can help. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Lily,

How is your situation now? Has the vertigo eased up any? Have you made a decision on which way to go for your hearing?