Sonnet Microphones

tjwarney

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe I have the FS4, can't remember off the top of my head. there were differences for sure so we tweaked it a bit but nothing drastic

I got the information, for the sonnet I am using FSP.  I attached a picture of the both maps for the sonnet and opus2.

SONNET

OPUS2.JPG

OPUS2

Sonnet2.JPG

Just got notified on FB that they have received FDA approval for ASM 2.0 and should be available to US CI customers in the spring :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Percy,

Your Mapping programs look fine to me.

I think the SONNET processor may need to be replaced.

If your audiologist has a spare SONNET processor perhaps they can load your map on it and you can check if the problem still occurs.

I recently replaced my SONNET processor because of this low frequency problem and it is not an issue anymore.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron,

Are you saying that your new Sonnet with exactly the same MAP did not squelch sounds when loud bass frequency sounds were present but your previous Sonnet did squelch?

• HearPeers Heroes

I think I would strongly suggest working with your Audi to get things figured out. You do have the option to possibly bring in a MEDEL rep to help figure things out as well. 

Your audi knows the ins and outs of your hearing history and previous mappings. Take detailed notes of what you hear and when. I'm sure they will be able to get to the bottom of this. 

Please keep us updated as it might help somebody going through the same challenge

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth,

My audiologist tried a fix but I was still getting sound cutting out and speech understanding was compromised. 

I suppose the audiologist could of kept at it a while longer but if there is a problem with the processor, her fix would just be masking the problem.

Since I got the new control unit there have been no problems.

Hi Percy,

Ask MED-EL for a new SONNET control unit. Hopefully it works and your audiologist can also load ASM 2.0 so you can use the dual mics.

Adam,

We have tried with a Med-el rep and still getting the same issues, the rep was even present at a few of my mappings.

Hadron,

I did get a new processor because my old one had to be replaced for an issue in which the microphone cover would no longer stay on, it would not 'latch' or 'stay down' at the side nearest to the battery.  With a new processor the sound was still the same.

With the new FDA approval of ASM 2.0 then maybe we can get this figured out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Percy,

My Opus2 and Sonnet do not sound the same.  They are based on different platforms.  There was an adjustment period.  While we were trying to figure out the squelch effect when presented with loud bass sounds, I thought about just returning to my Opus2.  Then I decided that I needed to embrace the new tech and figure out a MAP that worked for me.  I am glad I did because after that bass causing sounds to drop out problem was fixed, the Sonnet does sound better than my Opus2.  Since you located the frequencies that trigger this in your Sonnets, you may benefit from lowering your MCLs on those bass electrodes a bit more..  (E1 & 2).  Just a thought.  I hope you figure something out.

Med-El has regional CAMs which it seems you have already met.  They also have in house audiologists.  You or your audiologist can contact the in house audiology team for help trouble shooting as well.

I hope this gets straightened out, especially now that the dual mics have been FDA approved.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Percy,

Interesting that a new SONNET processor had no effect and MED-EL CAM was unable to make it better.

As Mary Beth said did they try lowering the MCLs? One problem with lowering MCLs is if set too low, speech understanding can be affected. Same with MCLs set too high.

Did the CAM offer to investigate this further? The CAM can escalate the problem to in-house audiology, whom can evaluate this further in consultation with the research group.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron brings up a good point. If the CAM has hit a roadblock, you can contact the MEDEL in house audiology team. I have contacted them before and they were very quick to respond.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@David

David,

Have you heard any timeline on when we can have our clinical audiologists activate the Sonnet's dual mics?  Med-El FB page says SPRING.

• HearPeers Heroes

Earliest I have heard has Been beginning to mid April.

• HearPeers Heroes

Earliest I have heard has Been beginning to mid April.

Mary Beth & Adam,

The last estimate I received was also beginning to mid-April in the United States, where I am located, and Med-El probably has everything ready for delivering updated, FDA compliant, documentation and labeling.

In all fairness to Med-El, I believe the microphone activation and ASM 2.0 software implementation updates are now contingent upon properly training the clinical audiologists and speech pathologists in each geographic area.

I am also very interested in the timeline, as my second Synchrony implant surgery will be on April 3rd. Assuming all goes as well as my first implant in 2015, activation is scheduled for April 26th and I am looking forward to having the second microphone activated on my current and new Sonnet processors.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess it will depend on how quickly the audis pick it it

awesome to hear you are going stereo. Can't wait to hear your impressions

• 2 weeks later...

Adam & Mary Beth,

Update:

It appears the ASM 2.0 update is not available yet to the US clinics. I guess it will be in May, or possibly June.

My second implant procedure went perfectly without any issues. Activation is scheduled for late April, with subsequent weekly programming sessions in May, and I am really looking forward to bilateral implementation.

I have decided to complete the first four or five sessions using the current features, even if ASM 2.0 becomes available in the interim. This eliminates having to adjust to new directional hearing considerations while training my newly implanted ear to hear again, and it will provide some time for my audiology team to gain experience with the new features.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like a plan, great to hear David!!

I just received word that the med-el rep will be giving training to my audi on June 5 for the new features on the Sonnet, my audi made my appt for that day to get my 'new' features activated.  Yay!  Hope this works.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

That is awesome Percy 

great timimg. Let us know your thoughts after activation

• HearPeers Heroes

Med El CAM I met yesterday told that ASM2.0 can be rolled out at any day. Nothing specific, but her expression was that it is almost here. My rechargeable batteries for the first processor should be delivered tomorrow. So, soon we have only one thrilling suspense - release of AudioLink