Nice meeting you, CI upcoming soon!

Hila

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great that you can stay home longer.

Interesting, how could you see the redness around you incision :)

Perhaps, I know - I asked to take a pic to see what's going there.

You are lucky to have tinnitus gone. And I hope the itching is a sign of healing, nothing else.

I don't like to take meds, but sometimes it is more beneficial for our body and spirit to take it, especially if it is something plain like Tylenol.

My best to you and your cats! Hope to see (hear) you here soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Taking time for yourself is very important. Keep us informed!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Very glad to hear things are settling down. Relax and enjoy. Activation will get here before you know it

Thanks buddies, I know time tends to fly by. I know it'd be tons of work and I really am not sure of the condition of the nerve and all in my implanted side. Just hoping for the better and having dreams about it

• HearPeers Heroes

It does feel like a long wait before activation. I went into activation hoping to hear clear beeps, that sounded different from each other. It gave me something to focus my energy on while I was waiting. Just remember, what you hear or do not hear at activation does not indicate how you will perform with your CI. It's just the starting line.

I had a dream I could actually hear when they activated it. Wouldn't it be fantastic? Now after surgery I'm not thinking of the activation consciously. I'm thankful I can still communicate with my hearing aid on the left side. Everything is good. If I do get some extra hearing from the implant, it'd be great. The audiologist didn't want to promise me anything that's why I'm not expecting anything. It was my fault I moved really fast with the decision to have the implant just because I was frustrated trying to keep up with group meetings and large scale training events. I thought I could get all that plus ability to play instruments again or enjoy music again but I'm not sure this can be achieved with CI. I still would gain tremendous improvements just by being able to socialize more easily again. So this is a goal. I'm aware it's an individual journey but I'm glad you are all here to bring up pointers, listen and support!

• HearPeers Heroes

We are definitely here!! Well do have hope. That's the best advice I can give.

We are definitely here!! Well do have hope. That's the best advice I can give.

<3 it

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, Nikki, do have hope. Remember the 3Ps though - Patience, Practice and Perseverance. They've helped me through this whole journey and it's something I repeat to myself when I get frustrated.

• HearPeers Heroes

trying to keep up with group meetings and large scale training events. I thought I could get all that plus ability to play instruments again or enjoy music again but I'm not sure this can be achieved with CI. I still would gain tremendous improvements just by being able to socialize more easily again. So this is a goal. I'm aware it's an individual journey but I'm glad you are all here to bring up pointers, listen and support!

What instruments can you play? You know we are not so bad. Just allow me remind you that Beethoven continued to compose the real pieces of art being almost completely deaf with only one available option  an ear horn (that time version of CI).  So far I gained not much hearing in my bionic ear to rely on it independently. But the group meetings are not an issue for me anymore - still not perfect, but a big advancement. So, sorry for repeating our peers - Nikki, do have hope!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hope hope hope!! Lol. The three P's

Ha! Yeah I never forgot Beethoven for a moment, to this very day I hear in my mind different parts of symphonies that there is no possibility I can in fact hear. I started with flute when I was young and then studied keyboard in Yamaha House excellent school of music and performed in different events with my group. I had a terrific musical ear although I bet the loss started at some point due to recurring ear infections, it was just not diagnosed and not noticeable. In my teens I learned how to play the guitar. My dad played guitar while I was growing up and music was a big part of my life always. I do believe I can pull playing flute or even keyboard again HOPEFULLY, I know strings would be next to impossible because it takes constant tuning. It would be great if I can enjoy music again at any level tho. I would be grateful.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am loving music again. It's possible. Just don't expect it to happen overnight.

I am loving music again. It's possible. Just don't expect it to happen overnight.

At what point did it happen for you, Mary Beth? Which processor is your favorite when you're listening to music?

• HearPeers Heroes

I had a dream I could actually hear when they activated it. Wouldn't it be fantastic? Now after surgery I'm not thinking of the activation consciously. I'm thankful I can still communicate with my hearing aid on the left side. Everything is good. If I do get some extra hearing from the implant, it'd be great. The audiologist didn't want to promise me anything that's why I'm not expecting anything. It was my fault I moved really fast with the decision to have the implant just because I was frustrated trying to keep up with group meetings and large scale training events. I thought I could get all that plus ability to play instruments again or enjoy music again but I'm not sure this can be achieved with CI. I still would gain tremendous improvements just by being able to socialize more easily again. So this is a goal. I'm aware it's an individual journey but I'm glad you are all here to bring up pointers, listen and support!

Allow yourself to be more open to the possibility that there is a real chance that you will succeed on your path... Do not put your expectations too low - if you do not push your limits, you do not know where are they: except selling guns, the role of wars are pretty same - where are the limits? ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Music in my right CI started to sound okay at 3-4 months and then improved from there with continued listening.

Music in my left CI started to sound great at 1 month. My left CI loves music.

Opus2, Rondo and Sonnet processors - all good.

Sonnet is best for music for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

I started with flute when I was young and then studied keyboard in Yamaha House. In my teens I learned how to play the guitar.  I do believe I can pull playing flute or even keyboard again HOPEFULLY, I know strings would be next to impossible because it takes constant tuning.

Wow, Nikki, you are a polyglot in music! Sorry, don't know if there is a special word for being multi-skilled with instruments, but considering that music is a special kind of language, it sounds correct to me. I believe it is possible to be good at tuning with CI. So, let's dream about you playing the guitar in the nearest future. Then, you could get familiar with a violin :)

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable" - it is hard not to agree with Superman (Christopher Reeve)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Well Cara that's been my journey from impossible to inevitable!! Good post!!

Aww that's so sweet Cara.... I was thinking about getting guitar teacher and some classes, just going through particular song and mastering it. Wouldn't that be terrific??? Yes I can dream!

• HearPeers Heroes

Come on.... only one particular song.... Ok, but just for beginning and then you will be unstoppable. That will be terrific, no doubts

Come on.... only one particular song.... Ok, but just for beginning and then you will be unstoppable. That will be terrific, no doubts

Yeah, that's my game plan in order to train my brain on musical notes. I hope the strategy works. Just like listening to the same words over and over and finally getting it. How is your speech understanding going? Is this a lot of work? I hope you're having great experience so far.

To be honest, I don't know what to expect.  On my first meeting with the audiologist she said no guarantees at all. she cannot promise it will work for me.  Right now I focus on recovery.  I had such a rough week with pain and trying to restore some balance... It can only work if I don't worry at all.  With this being said, a little reminder about the gain and the purpose, is very encouraging. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It will be awesome!! Don't worry. Yes it's hard work. But focus on recovery for now. You were late deafened so it works better in people that are late deafened. Just a thought.

Happy all went well, Nikki. I had tinnitus after my surgery but once I was activated, it only happened if I was stressed or drank too much coffee. Please keep us posted and good luck with your activation.

Sandy, this is such a true observation.  For me, stress triggers pain as well.

It will be awesome!! Don't worry. Yes it's hard work. But focus on recovery for now. You were late deafened so it works better in people that are late deafened. Just a thought.

Thanks Kara! I can only hope, because I am not even sure what was the situation of my right ear exactly -I was never diagnosed when I was young, but I can tell you, looking back, my mom was in denial. I had no clue what I was missing but I think other people could see something is not 100% right.  Maybe I heard better only on my left ear? (now both ears are pretty equal).  I brought these questions up to my audiologist and surgeon and they both think I have similar chances on either ear but my left ear is just teeny-tiny bit better so they operated in the right.  I just read Mary Beth's experiences and other people's stories and it start sinking that maybe, just MAYBE it would be a game changer for me.  I want to allow myself to get excited,  So happy to have you here, it means a lot!