Nice meeting you, CI upcoming soon!

Nikki

hi Nikki,

Welcome to Hear Peers.

I got implanted 12/22/15. I needed a week to feel normal.

The first week after surgery can be a little rough, so rest up. Glad the surgery went well for you. Activation day will be here soon!

Elaine

hi Nikki,

Welcome to Hear Peers.

I got implanted 12/22/15. I needed a week to feel normal.

The first week after surgery can be a little rough, so rest up. Glad the surgery went well for you. Activation day will be here soon!

Elaine

Oh thanks for your comment I thought I was the only one.. Yeah it's been rough so far. Some days are better than others. nights still with pain meds. Pressure build up on the ear. Been reading horror stories of ppl actually having symptoms for months. I think when they put my bandage they really went overboard with tightness and they got my hair stuck and pulled.. and I had bad reaction coming out of surgery with vomiting and that's when those metallic buzzes were strong and overwhelming. I didn't expect any of that, I just wanted to sit there graceful and collected like Cara but that wasn't the case. Sorry if TMI, just need to process all that happened. I took another day off to concentrate on recovery.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki, yes stress will trigger pain as well. Concentrate on resting and enjoy the time off. Your journey is just beginning.

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't want to say anything but my recovery was very hard. I was on strict bed rest because there were two CS fluid leaks during my surgery. They had to take fat from my stomach to patch one of the leaks so I got another incision in the lower abdomen. I had pain for 21 days. I took all the pain meds that they gave me which I had enough for 14 days then I took a combo of Tylenol and ibuprofen. So you have had a good recovery. It is common for people to feel ill after general anesthesia. So rest up and like. sandy says streets will aggravate the symptoms.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hang in there Nikki. As for a plan regarding music, you'll get a feeling of how and when to proceed after you are activated and know how things progress for you. I tried playing keyboard to help with pitches at first but it was not helpful at that time. I had to wait a bit for that. It's a bit of trial and error. It's worth trying any and everything. However it's important that we meet with success so sometimes plans have to be altered.

Thanks girls. Kara, your perseverance and triumph are inspiring... I'm so happy it all worked out and improving. Mary Beth, I guess speech understanding would be my main goal, at least in the beginning, and for a while. Hope my brain cooperates along the way and things will make sense.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki, it all works out in the end! Just keep remembering the 3Ps!

• HearPeers Heroes

I would agree with Mary Beth. I couldn't listen to music at all till about month three. Then I could start to have some perception. Now it's getting much better. I can't interpret new songs yet. But it's coming along.

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't expect any of that, I just wanted to sit there graceful and collected like Cara but that wasn't the case.

I am so sorry for you, Nikki, that you got all that things happened to you. I would like everybody has the same experience with the surgery like me.... but unfortunately, I have no power over it. Feel like I cheated with that :)

Want to believe that you feel much better now. Do you think you are ready to go back to work on Monday?

I'm so much better Cara thanks! Yes I'll go back to work tomorrow, it's been such a rough week. I forgot to put the smiley face after I said you appear so graceful sitting up after surgery. Definitely didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. Everyone is different and I'm very happy for you that you didn't have to suffer. It's unbelievable, but I'm actually feeling fine. No worries. I'm lucky too.

Hi Niki,

Glad you are feeling better! Yes, every one's experiences are different.

I had my 2nd mapping and there are days I go 5 steps ahead and 1 back. But there are other days I do well.

You will too, but I does take work. So get ready for your second job - listening training

Activation Day will be coming up

Elaine

Nikki,

I wanted to add, that my tinnitus (not as annoying as yours) has quieted down since I received my sound processor. I wear it 14 + hours a day. Now I don't hear it anymore. Hoping you get the same results.

Elaine

Hi Elaine, thanks for the comments. I'm just going to wait patiently for activation day in few weeks. Hoping I can get through with one hearing aid for this time being, I did let everyone at work know it would get worse before getting better. One week down, three more to go, but time tends to fly right by. Did you get a CI or a bone bridge? Hope you continue improving. Best of luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, that's my game plan in order to train my brain on musical notes. I hope the strategy works. Just like listening to the same words over and over and finally getting it. How is your speech understanding going? Is this a lot of work? I hope you're having great experience so far.

Still not close to the time when I can rest on the laurels. I do can understand some words, but most of the time it requires a lot of concentration. It is so fascinating when I just hear something without even trying to pay attention which is rather exception than a result. I spend several hours per day practicing with speech recognition. But it looks that my brain needs some more time and I do need more medium and low frequencies to be added and the high frequencies to be lowered (at least to be more balanced with medium and low ones). Plugging my good ear helps a lot in training my implanted ear, but I have not so much moments when I can function that way. Since Friday I spend almost all the time with the plug in my good ear despite the protests. I see that it is what I need. That has given me more motivation and confidence do it despite some inconvenience for others (sorry guys :) )

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! The journey isn't for them it's for us. They will benefit after all the hard work is done.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm so much better Cara thanks! Yes I'll go back to work tomorrow, it's been such a rough week. I forgot to put the smiley face after I said you appear so graceful sitting up after surgery. Definitely didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. Everyone is different and I'm very happy for you that you didn't have to suffer. It's unbelievable, but I'm actually feeling fine. No worries. I'm lucky too.

Good to know that you are better. Please, don't worry, I am good to feel like I cheated with my surgery (I am just sorry that not all of us had the same experience). I'd even say I would like to cheat one more time with speech recognition :rolleyes: 

And we all lucky to get the opportunities our implants give us. I am so grateful to that little thing and that big company which invented it for us. 

If to talk about speech recognition I will tell you that I am ready for more results. But what I have now (less that two month after my activation) is amazing considering that I had absolutely nothing before in that my ear for 10 years. I do enjoy the multiple sounds I have now. I had no idea about existence of many of them. And I can recognize some speech, and I know that more will come sooner or later. Interesting, I absolutely don't worry about music. I am sure that it will be here soon. It is different with speech - this is understandable as it is most important for me. Have a good day at work tomorrow!

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! The journey isn't for them it's for us. They will benefit after all the hard work is done.

Kara, you are right. I think is a very interesting topic how our kin are affected by our journey and how our journey is affected by them :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

One option to train only your CI ear is to use the Quattro4 neckloop with a Bluetooth connection to your sound source and out your CI in T setting. Then ONLY the CI will get the signal.

• HearPeers Heroes

I do it too, Mary Beth. But I also need to train my brain to take not only electronic sounds (I noticed, this is different for me), so the old fashioned ear plugs are my good friends now along with Quattro and the direct cable.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it is important to listen through the processor mics as much as possible.

Nikki,

I received a CI. At this writing, I received 2 mappings (early stages). I train every day and I have seen improvement, but I will get to a certain level that I cannot pass, so I must practice at another level or train with another application. This group recommended AB Clix software which was easier than the higher levels of Angel Sound. Later on, I went back to Angel Sounds and passed the harder level. I think this is where the 3P's come in!

Elaine

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great news Elaine!

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely three P's. Sounds great Elaine.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki, how was your first day at work?