Nice meeting you, CI upcoming soon!

Hila

Hi Cara and everyone, first day was pretty good. I was super tired at night. Today is slow. Altogether, much better. Concentrating on healing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds good. Time is flying by too!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Altogether, much better. Concentrating on healing.

Glad to hear that you are fine and concentrating on healing (not on your work) :)

Hey can anybody say if the local pain and discomfort laying down actually goes away at some point? Or you always feel the implant and just getting used to it? Thanks....

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki,

It goes away completely in time. How are you feeling?

Last night was rough. I couldn't get comfortable in bed and couldn't sleep well. I woke up tired, cranky and with a headache. Maybe it's just because I had a long week at work, yesterday in particular was rough. TGIF I'm planning to do nothing but sleep tomorrow. Altogether I'm pretty much back to normal,still not 100%, but close. I didn't know if forever I would feel the implant in my head. I know it's a stupid question because obviously have an implant in my head but it didn't occur to me beforehand that I'd actually feel it and won't be comfortable resting my head on it...

• HearPeers Heroes

From time to time I felt the implant under my skin for a couple of weeks after surgery. Several times I woke up because I was on my implant side and it felt as something not right (not pain actually, but noticeable discomfort).

Now it is like the regular spot on my head - I can touch it, comb over it - nothing special compare to other areas.  You will be good and even better soon, especially after a day of hibernating :Waving smiley

• HearPeers Heroes

Some tips for sleeping while the implant area is tender....

-Use a very soft pillow

-Bend your arm to create an open V-shaped space, put your arm in that position under the soft pillow and position your implant area over the open V area

-sleep on the other side

-use a travel pillow, position your implant area over the opening

You're so practical, Mary Beth. Love it. Really said to myself last night that it would be nice to get a new, soft pillow. Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

LOL. I've just been through it twice. Experience is a great teacher.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well to be honest I still can't sleep on my implanted side. Now I think it's just because it's been so long since I haven't I don't. I have tried four times or so and it just doesn't feel right. So I guess it will still take more time for it to feel normal. It's different for everyone.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great tips Mary Beth!!

Kara Graf I was going to suggest, try that v shaped arm position.. sounds promising :-) :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

My arm would go numb!! I have a special neck pillow which keeps me from having neck pain. I have fallen asleep on the implanted side but woke up feeling well not pain but just not right. Like it still pushes on the incision. Which I have had. Great deal of nerve pains month after surgery till about two and a half months after. It is still subsiding. I only notice it if I apply pressure to the site. More so than the d- coil. It's almost gone. But very sudtle.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great advice Mary Beth. I have a pillow that's in the shape of a candy cane. Supposed to be good for my neck and back, but works good with the implant too.

• HearPeers Heroes

I used a donut type pillow. Not sure what they are called. They are round and have a hole in the middle. I would lay my head on it with the incision and implant in the center so there is no pressure. It helped. I don't know how people do it who go bilateral.

• HearPeers Heroes

NIkki I hope all is going well. Keep us updated

Hey Adam, thanks, I'll keep you posted. But what about now, can you sleep on that side?

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki

Once it healed I was fine. I also have a flat top haircut so I get the sides and back of my head shaved. They go right over the implant and I am totally fine. It was tender for a while but try to take comfort in the fact that it will get better

Kara thanks for your reply as well... I have a lot of catching up to do... Taking it a day at a time... We get through this together, right???

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly right Nikki, who better to go through something with, than a person who has already walked in those shoes, so to speak

Nikki

Once it healed I was fine. I also have a flat top haircut so I get the sides and back of my head shaved. They go right over the implant and I am totally fine. It was tender for a while but try to take comfort in the fact that it will get better

:-) long hair is pulling it :-) but I think I'll keep it :-) :-) hopefully it would heal well. At this moment I feel a sore, raised area and I sure don't want to stress about it. Stress is healing biggest enemy imo. Glad I have couple wks before activation just to let it heal and chill. I'm doing pretty much the same with my one side aided ear. in fact, I actually feel as if I hear better than before... Don't know exactly why less is more (???) :-) going through this process is a game changer for sure, psychologically, just the anticipation and that spark of hope that something can be significantly different, for the better. Looking forward to that!