Nice meeting you, CI upcoming soon!

Hila

• HearPeers Heroes

Great way to look at it Nikki

One of the reasons audiologist a wait a few weeks is to let the swelling go down. They made me wait 6 weeks for activation for my first implant. Activation seemed like it was never going to get here.

I went in with low expectations, but high hopes. Just remember, each day after activation gets a little better. I think all of us would say it was life changing

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, it was life changing. You have a very positive attitude Nikki. I too had low expectations and high hopes. Just remember, dreams do come true.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donna and everyone else that commented. Thanks for checking on me. I'm doing pretty well. I'm pretty much back to normal just a little swelling on the implant site and tiny bit numbness on the ear. Yesterday was my activation (honestly it seem like so long ago...), it went pretty well except I could not hear the high ranges at all. I think I could feel some, not sure, but all the rest was fun to listen to. I left the audiologist office with four progressive maps to work through in the next two weeks. I have one HA that I currently rely on for speech understanding and I'm trying to do without it. Baby steps... Whatever comes, I am ready to embrace. Currently I'm practicing words by topics and it's very challenging but I feel like a total winner when I get one correct! That's fun :-) eventually,I hope, everything will fall into place.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki,

First step is not actually hearing and understanding the word, just recognizing how many parts it has.

Pick a topic like:

Fruit: grape (1), apple (2), banana (3)- listen to someone say grape, then apple, then banana. Then without watching them speak, have them say one of those three agreed upon words. If you hear 1 part say grape, 2 parts say apple, 3 parts say banana. It doesn't matter what the words actually sound like. Focus on number of parts.

Colors: red, yellow, magenta

Animals: cat, hippo, elephant

People's names, etc.

When you are consistently getting these correct, then you are ready for level 2.

Thank you, Mary Beth! That's an excellent tip. Yeah I asked my partners to narrow it down so there will only be very few possibilities. Numbers: one, five or seven. because I can't distinguish between three and four, for example. Narrowing it down really helps! Thanks for the list! You're very kind!

• HearPeers Heroes

Wear the Rondo with the mic at the 12:00 position.

Since you may have swelling, a sportsband may be helpful. MedEl sells one with pockets built in for the Rondo- made out of material that allows sound to go through just fine.

Ok thanks! I definitely need it and I put an eye on it bc I can't bend or run without something to keep it in place. My audiologist also thinks I might need a stronger magnet. Current is number 3.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki I started my rehab training with ab clix. Also wearing the processor (your rondo) for two hours alone. No ha. Gives the implanted ear some time to learn. Remember baby steps.

• HearPeers Heroes

Did you receive a number 4 in your kit? Did you choose 2 Rondos?

I only got number 3 but she said she'd order me 4.

I have one sonnet and one rondo and currently (without the upgrades) I was told they're the same. So after wearing the sonnet all day, my ear felt like a sore shelf so I gave it a break and wore the Rondo for couple of hours.

Nikki I started my rehab training with ab clix. Also wearing the processor (your rondo) for two hours alone. No ha. Gives the implanted ear some time to learn. Remember baby steps.

Thanks Kara! I'll get myself an iPad bc abclix is not available for android. I'll try two hours without HA tomorrow. I think I had about an hour without HA today.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had that problem too. I wore an earmold for a little while with my sonnet it helped. But my ear canal didn't like it so I stopped.anytime. Nikki!! Good luck on day two!! I purchased an iPad as well. I love it!!

I had that problem too. I wore an earmold for a little while with my sonnet it helped. But my ear canal didn't like it so I stopped.anytime. Nikki!! Good luck on day two!! I purchased an iPad as well. I love it!!

Thank you! If it's not too much trouble, can you kindly DM or email exactly which iPad you got if you're really happy with it? Thanks in advance.