AudioStream with iPhones tips

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

The first two days with AudioStreams presented a lot of disconnections with my iPhone 12 mini using iOS 15.5 and 15.6.

Then it seems the AudioStreams hit a sweet spot and for hours last night and again today they are performing very well.

What was the magic fix?  I wish I knew!

Here is what seems to have worked. It takes trial and error and time.  I hope it helps.  Let us know.

It reminds me of @Lynda’s comment months ago.  Repeating the same steps over and over and for some unknown reason one time it just works and the AudioStreams perform much better.

Tips that seem to help

* If the AudioStreams are disconnecting too often, forget devices under accessibility/hearing devices then go back to AudioKey2 and reconfigure.  If the problems persist, do this again and again until you hit some sweet spot and the AudioStreams perform well.  This is frustrating and takes a lot of time and trial and error but many users are reporting the same thing.  One time it just worked and the AudioStreams perform much better. 

* In the morning have the phone turned on and open accessibility/hearing devices.  Then turn on one AudioStream near the phone and wait for it to show as connected.  It will display R+L connected even though one is not yet powered on.  Go the the next screen which displays battery levels.  Then turn on the second AudioStream.  Make sure both AudioStreams display battery levels.  If one does not, restart it.  If both AudioStreams display battery levels, they are connected.

@SKOM

@KittKatz

@karenRS

@Jullannie

@Ralph34

@John F

@Viola DeVinney

5A857584-5544-4C80-A1F6-44EA6ACEC48E.jpeg

E38D6C25-5F23-4B67-8CFB-247C61422A0C.jpeg

314F33C2-20C0-42C1-9E19-541222A78CB6.jpeg

Repetition of steps did work for me also.  My AudioStreams work well now after taking these steps a few times.  

• HearPeers Heroes

More tips

• After walking away from iPhone and exceeding the range of AudioStream, clicks are heard as the AudioStream disconnects.  Upon returning to iPhone, check that battery levels display for both AudioStreams.  If they do, they automatically reconnected.  If not, restart AudioStream.
  • Sometimes when resuming streaming it requires more than one click on play.  The phone reverts to pause.  At times it requires three clicks on play to resume streaming.

• HearPeers Heroes

Another tip

• Streaming to bilateral AudioStreams inside works well in front pants pocket but when outside AudioStream loses connection on the side opposite the pants pocket.  Using a shirt pocket or a phone lanyard case improves bilateral AudioStream connection while outside and active.

• HearPeers Heroes

Another tip

• When beginning streaming with bilateral AudioStreams and only one AudioStream connects and streams, waiting several seconds (a bit longer than you would expect) sometimes results in the second AudioStream connecting and joining in streaming.  If not, check battery display under accessibility/hearing devices.  If no battery level is displayed, restart that AudioStream.

• HearPeers Heroes

Reporting in since these two AudioStreams hit the sweet spot of configuring/connecting with my iPhone 12 mini the other day after several times of repeating the forget this device in accessibility/hearing devices and then returning to AudioKey2 app to configure all over again due to many disconnections.

They continue to work splendidly now!!! For days!!! Not one disconnection.  They are performing perfectly.

Why that did not happen all the other times I configured and connected using exactly the same steps and receiving SUCCESS message in AudioKey2 and connected plus battery displays in iPhone accessibility/hearing devices, I do not know.

My advice to anyone who is experiencing too many disconnections with AudioStream and iPhones is keep repeating the forget this device and then start all over in AudioKey2 with configuration until your AudioStreams hit the sweet spot too.

I realize it should not be this difficult nor time consuming but believe me, when they hit that sweet spot you will be so happy with how they perform.

@Viola DeVinney

Had a very good and last minute audiologist appointment yesterday. Not one but two audiologists from Med-El had a surprise visit to the state so my audiologist squeezed me in and they graciously gave me an hour of their time. 

On the note of iPhone and AudioStream, I mentioned my difficulty in switching from actively streaming on one device to another. My only solution other than constantly forgetting device and re-doing the connection is to turn off one device then power back on once streaming again. This forces the AudioStream to recognize the second device and often is easier than forgetting/re-pairing. 

We did agree about hoping for a move away from BTLE. They said all my comments they’d write down and send to Med-El as they always send off a post visit summary notes/suggestions when they meet with users because it’s helpful to Med-El. 

I’ll be in this boat again in about a month. I’m in need of a new phone so just waiting for the new one to be released since it’s so close. Hoping for no issues with iPhone 14 (or whatever they name it) but planning for oodles. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

If I was going to use AudioStream with two devices and switch back and forth, I would turn off BT on the device I was leaving and then restart the AudioStreams near the device I was going to use next.

Supposedly Apple’s handoff feature should allow seamless transitions from iPhone and iPad but I am not sure that has been any one’s experience yet with AudioStream.

@Jared Charney are you using AudioStream on two devices and switching between them somehow?

My experience is different only in that when I power up my Sonnet 2s, I do not hear the clicking from the AudioStreams.  They are shown as connected in the AudioKey2 app and in the phone accessibility settings.  I hear the clicks when streaming starts for a video or phone call.  
I do have to select “my hearing device” oftentimes when a phone call comes in because the phone most often defaults to the speaker on my phone.  That may be happening more often since the January firmware update.  

22 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lauren

If I was going to use AudioStream with two devices and switch back and forth, I would turn off BT on the device I was leaving and then restart the AudioStreams near the device I was going to use next.

Supposedly Apple’s handoff feature should allow seamless transitions from iPhone and iPad but I am not sure that has been any one’s experience yet with AudioStream.

@Jared Charney are you using AudioStream on two devices and switching between them somehow?

I turn off the BT in the device I am leaving then turn it on in the other device.  I think I have read that AudioStream can connect to only one device at a time.  Sometimes I do have to restart the AudioStream when returning to a device.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen T

So far since hitting the sweet spot with these AudioStreams they automatically connect for any incoming phone call.

These are the settings I have set on my phone.  Are your settings the same?  There is an option to choose ALWAYS hearing devices for calls.  I have not tried that option yet as in my car I want to use Audio Play.

7DCFE905-ADA7-486C-B783-D8C55D34C5C5.jpeg

80BAFB98-3F52-4DD5-98B9-DEC72A24A9F5.jpeg

CE7FEAEC-F3B4-4EA9-833E-D6457712C543.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Thanks Mary Beth.  I was notified able to get both of them working together perfectly yesterday but having trouble today.  I'll just keep trying since at least now I know they work.

Mary