SSD and CI recovery

SteveS

Hello- 

I’m new to this forum. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I had sudden hearing loss (total) on the left side a few months ago, and am leaning towards getting a CI. What is a typical recovery time after that? Are there typically side effects, such as headache or dizziness? Also, when my hearing loss occurred, I experienced a sudden and large increase in tinnitus in that ear. Is a CI oftentimes helpful with that? Or is it more 50/50. 

I’m just brainstorming. Thanks for any help. 

Hi steve.

Ive been implanted one ear one year. I had been without working hearing aids a few months and the tinnitus was getting really bad. I had birds sounds constant, if i didnt watch really loud tv or talk/sing to my self i felt trapped in a birdcage.

I had surgery in the afternoon on a tuesday, home by 6pm. I had a bandage, and a few different meds to take so i slept sitting up in a recliner 4 hours at a time for 24 hours. When i was awake, i was deaf on surg side, right ear still had light tinnitus in complete silence. Had a little dizzines, slept right through med alarms and had "full" feeling but no real pain. I could shower, and walk upstairs, sleep in my own bed with lots of pillows 3rd night. Worst of all i was just tired with a slight headache.

By tuesday i went to walmart.

I would say a long weekend / week off if i was still working would have been good.

We are all different and have different recoveries...i did have ear infections as a kid hurt worse than my ci surgery lol.

Welcome to heer peers! 

9 minutes ago, Dianna said:

Hi steve.

Ive been implanted one ear one year. I had been without working hearing aids a few months and the tinnitus was getting really bad. I had birds sounds constant, if i didnt watch really loud tv or talk/sing to my self i felt trapped in a birdcage.

I had surgery in the afternoon on a tuesday, home by 6pm. I had a bandage, and a few different meds to take so i slept sitting up in a recliner 4 hours at a time for 24 hours. When i was awake, i was deaf on surg side, right ear still had light tinnitus in complete silence. Had a little dizzines, slept right through med alarms and had "full" feeling but no real pain. I could shower, and walk upstairs, sleep in my own bed with lots of pillows 3rd night. Worst of all i was just tired with a slight headache.

By tuesday i went to walmart.

I would say a long weekend / week off if i was still working would have been good.

We are all different and have different recoveries...i did have ear infections as a kid hurt worse than my ci surgery lol.

Welcome to heer peers! 

I forgot to add .. activated 14 days after surgery and i dont remember having any tinnitus at all. I have none now. 💘 

• HearPeers Heroes

@SteveS

welcome to HearPeers.  It is amazing how many people have sudden deafness.  @Jared Charney and @Kylie can relate.

I have had tinnitus since my hearing loss started on my teens.  After getting CIs, now I only notice it when I remove the processors to go to sleep and it is much quieter even then.

Wishing you the best.  

@SteveS the moment the audiologist put my processor on it took care of my tinnitus as my dead ear is too active hearing the electronic codes etc. it’s made all the difference in the world and I even sleep with my Rondo 3 now so I only really hear tinnitus when I shower. And I too @MaryB am amazed by how many people I’ve met who have had sudden hearing loss