Bilateral

Lauren

Emailed my audiologist to request the process be started for going bilateral. I did a lot of reading, got a ton of advice for/against it, and just came to the conclusion that I shouldn’t wait for my right ear to get as bad as my left ear. So 🤞.

I mentioned not caring about the timeline; if it could happen before December 31 great, if not no worries. So let’s see how it plays out. 

Waiting on scheduling with my Audiologist as my qualifying event was over a year ago, naturally we must go through the whole process again. Just waiting to hear (no pun intended) what is available and then it’ll officially be on the schedule. 

Only nervous as I’m still dealing with the scratchy/over pronounced consonant sounds. However the deciding factor to go bilateral was the hearing aid. Yes it benefits me but only when I wear it with the CI.

As for the scratchy audio, I also emailed the in-house audiologists that helped troubleshoot abut two weeks ago. I got a lengthy reply back this morning so took the time making sure to answer everything, then reviewed before sending off an equally lengthy reply. So still actively working on it and they’ll hopefully be able to do much of the grunt work to better help my audiologist help me. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

terrific!  Glad you are getting help with the scratchy sounds from the Med-El audiologists as well as your clinical audiologist.  

When I went bilateral we had to do the testing again too because it was valid for 6 months and I was at 8 months.  It was quick and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a lot of waiting and patience due to the long weekend but…

Officially on the books for testing. September 15th at 4:00pm local time. It’ll move quickly from here on out. 

• Like 2

When I went bilateral my second side was what I call gravelly for a long time. Totally different from the first side . Overall however it has been and still is amazing. 

Beats the hearing aid by far. 

Hope all goes well with you. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I’m hoping my second ear is the easy one lol. 

My second ear was easy to train, it pretty much caught up with the old ear on its own within a few months.

18 hours ago, Dianna said:

Wooooot! Im so happy for you lauren! 

My ha seems to be doing well so i will prolly stay one sided ci for awhile

I hung onto my hearing aid for the music. However my speech understanding suffered. In retrospect I should have made it sooner as my wife was the one who was frustrated trying to communicate. 

• Like 2

Well, i hope my situation good for awhile, the ha is giving me (for now) filling in whats "missing" its an amplifier and getting what i need for now. Words in quiet are good. BUT noise in background not "filtering" and its hollow but def an improvement.

Ive been in 8 person groups and only miss a few things. Busy restaurant was ok too. I have a "tuning" in a week and need to get to ci audi for a music map and timing adjustment. Im now a patient of two different departments!

I am so glad im retired, lol

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

There are very happy long time bimodal users (1 CI and 1 HA).  You may always find bimodal listening great.  I am glad your bimodal journey is starting off so well.

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

There are very happy long time bimodal users (1 CI and 1 HA).  You may always find bimodal listening great.  I am glad your bimodal journey is starting off so well.

Thank you mary beth

On 9/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

Hey mary beth, i requested an appt with my audi for syncing (and my promised music map)

I just received a response to coordinate with medel rep lia farro in our coorespondence, thats a good thing, right? Is it a big deal? Of course i dont mind, just jumpy about it. 

On a side note, i was listening to 70s pop from spotify, i am very much enjoying, more lyrics and weirdly sounding true stereo, did you have that where it was like the sides "complimented" each other? Its like the ever so finite off sync, yes, but also, i think im hearing different instruments too. 

Di

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

When our audiologists bring in a Med-El CAM (clinical account manager) that is so the Med-El audiologist can support our clinical audiologists.  Teach them new things.  Provide suggestions.  The MAPs are still created by our clinical audiologists.  It’s all good.

The timing issue you are experiencing being bimodal may be due to that fact that the Sonnet2 processes audio faster than your hearing aid.  When your audiologist sets up your Sonnet2 to match the timing in your hearing aid, that may improve.

However it is also possible the streaming to your hearing aid and AudioStream are not precisely in sync.  I hope this isn’t the issue as I am not aware of a fix for this.  @Bill C says his streamed audio is in sync with his AudioStream and his hearing aid.

Hearing the individual unique voices of instruments has been a fun part of my music journey with bilateral CIs.  Enjoy your music journey.

I find it interesting that lots of people talk about hearing lyrics. For me singing voices have been one of the biggest challenges. I can hear a lot of the words but the sound is so distorted. I started with piano, flute and percussion which started sounding good and after 3 years are almost perfect. 

• Sad 2

Test didn’t take that long and wasn’t as extensive as the first one. I failed miserably meaning I qualify for the right ear. 

Things are moving along now and there’s tons of notes and my audiologist will finish my package for Med-El. I said to make it identical to the first one and she will; will contact me if anything gives her pause. 

In the following weeks the ENT will get me scheduled for their evaluation and I’ll have a few questions but other than that… probably in a few months time I’ll be bilateral.