Bilateral

Lauren

Probably not right away as the surgeon will try moving the internal magnet on the left. Expecting there to be some swelling plus need to let the incision heal. 

🥳

Activation set for November 22nd and the first mapping the week after. 

• Like 2

Ooooh! So first mapping and activation or are you leaving the hospital activated???? Thanks for giving even me something exciting since music is done 💘 

Lol first surgery, activation a little over two weeks after. First mapping is the following week after activation  

Minuscule differences:

I don’t need to repeat the vaccination

Surgeon will try moving left implant up and anchoring it better; will also anchor the right side better to prevent it from sliding down too. Downside: I’ll have to wait for the incision to heal before I can wear my left processor again. Wondering how I’ll fill the time as it’ll be a few days.

Audiologist was insistent this time that we wait at least two weeks after surgery as opposed to one week.

Im letting my mother come to this activation. I’d wanted the first one for myself. Second one is special in its own way but I know what to expect this time around so it’s not “first activation” special. She’s not yet met my CI audiologist even though it’s the same office I’ve gone to for HAs all this time. 

Med-El will be present at one appointment for sure; of course they’re always available to offer whatever assistance is needed so that’s appreciated and phenomenal support  

• 3 weeks later...

Surgery didn’t quite go as expected. Surgeon said he’d start with the right side as that was the easy part. Then would try scooting up the left side. 

When in the OR before getting knocked out exchanged waves with Med-El folks. 

I rarely do well with anesthesia and this time had dizziness worse than the last time and my left ear was hurting worse than the right, but couldn’t open my eyes for more than a few seconds and my arms and legs didn’t want to work. Did find out that the right side went smooth as silk and the left implant failed as soon as the surgeon tried moving it. So unfortunately had to be explanted and a whole new one implanted. So essentially went through a surprise bilateral implant surgery. The surgeon personally called my audiologist and explained and we’re trying to work out when I can go in to get the left side reprogrammed. But it’s a waiting game right now. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh I am so sorry to read this @Lauren.  I hope your recovery from your surprise bilateral implantation goes well.  Rest easy.

Hi lauren! Omgosh, i hope you feel better today, im sorry that implant failed! Hoping you are resting....i hope the replacement is better than the first! 

You are now bionically bilateral!!!! Congratulations 

Sleep well, let us know how you doing hugs!

@Mary Beth @Dianna @pdk

Appreciate it. 

Still dizzy but getting better. Using a cane to steady myself but can walk on my own, albeit slowly. Mostly just randomly veer off to the left. Have been in contact with my surgeon via text and it’s just due to inner ear inflammation on the left from taking the original device out and putting the new one in. He’s got me on steroids for inflammation, stuff for dizziness, nausea, pain, and some antibiotic. 

Surgeon also made me an appointment with my audiologist for tomorrow (Tuesday the 8th) to get the left side re-programmed so I’ll be able to hear at least. Left side definitely the problem side, right side slightly sore but barely noticeable. 

Appetite is finally coming back and I successfully showered Sunday so guess that means the worst is over. 

Thank you! I’m excited for the mapping. Getting my left side re-programmed so hoping will be able to at least hear. I am curious to ask how EAS will be impacted; not sure that residual hearing would hold up to the procedure. 

Haven’t left the house since Thursday so it’ll be a nice outing. 

• Like 2

I’m back on! Got my left side activated and tested. And for the heck of it my audiologist got my right side up and running too. Will go back in a week for an adjustment and keep the November 22nd appointment with Med-El as they’re already flying up. This’ll get a lot of the groundwork out of the way. 

Left: silver lining of the electrodes not giving me a physical sensation. Gone is the chirping/scratchy overlay that’s plagued me for the past 1.5 year. Could’ve been something with the old implant or maybe the electrodes weren’t ideally placed; we might never know. But these electrodes are right on the money and all 12 are on. Can’t use my old programs as it’s all new so starting from scratch but the left side so far is easier due to having the past 1.5 ish year work behind it. VERY  pleased with placement! It’s even symmetrical.

Right: did barebones to get me started on the listening journey. Got an annoying bell dinging with every sound but once my brain is used to the signals those’ll turn into sounds/speech. 

Now for rehab and getting used to the new stuff!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

terrific!!  Enjoy your unexpected new left journey and your brand new right journey and keep us posted!

• Like 2

Hi lauren!!!

Sounds like you are bionic woman now!!! I hope you are feeling good today!

I am thinking bout you and your bettered journey!

Take care of yourself!!

Feeling better little by little. Mainly just dizziness now; don’t have my land legs back yet. 

Up til today my right ear was hardly sore, but as the swelling is going away it’s pretty sore. Also getting a physical sensation from my inner ear when putting on the right Rondo. I’ll reach out to my audiologist on Monday since it’s not normal. Wondering if maybe it’s because I was activated just 5 days post surgery so the ear is still “angry”; leaning towards that as the spot where the Rondo sits is starting to get tender as well. Left side doesn’t have physical sensation or the same soreness (if that makes sense) however it’s still got the magnet strength 3 while the right is a 4. (I’d love to change down magnet strength but it barely stays put while even with swelling the other side is as secure as it was pre-surgery.)

Got some additional testing on the right side and did slight tweaking, primarily on the right. Went down a magnet strength after discussing the site soreness and inner ear sensations. 

For now just keep on keeping on. Tuesday will be the big appointment with Med-El and additional testing. Audiologist said it will be several hours so we will see. So far a better start than a year plus ago, tho the bar was set pretty low. :)