Connecting to landline

BeckyR

I have had my implants for one year now, I am just really getting familiar with the audio link. I work and I am unable to answer work phone lines because I cannot hear well enough just holding the receiver to my rondo. I have connected my audio link to the landline and I can hear callers, but they are not hearing me. I have pushed all the buttons with microphone on/off etc, and no help. Any suggestions? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@BeckyR

How did you attach the AudioLink to the landline?  Through a headphone jack?

• HearPeers Heroes

My guess is some kind of adapter will be needed.  If you are in the US, you can schedule a free 1:1 zoom tech meeting with Med-El US and see if they can help.

@BeckyR Landlines were an issue for me at the office, I used Tcoil and have a separate program on my fine tuner with extra volume.  Does your employer have VOIP, if so phone calls can be forwarded from your landline to your cell phone.  

@BeckyR I have been virtual the last two years.  I rely on DAI cables for calls to my cell and conference calls via laptop.  Prefer DAI since it does not have the sound quality of bluetooth and one less thing to worry about having a full charge for the work day.   Prior to COVID, I either used Tcoil for incoming calls on my office landline or allow the call to transfer to my cell.  I had a program for additional volume, my fine tuner remote was always close by.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@BeckyR

Are you using Rondo3?

To use telecoil with Rondo3 we have to attach the telecoil adapter.  Then that mixes telecoil and Rondo3 audio 50/50.  There is a way for our audiologists to give us a telecoil boost in a program slot if needed.  If we hear a ticking sound when the telecoil adapter is in use, Med-El suggests putting the Rondo3 into flight mode (turn it on and off 3 times).  Be sure to already be in the program you wish to use because when in flight mode, the remote does not work.

I found it helpful to experiment holding the phone up to my Rondo mics to practice a bit.  I used the recorder telephone with confidence daily exercises to experiment and practice.  

https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/home/ongoing-care-and-support/rehabilitation-resources/resources-for-adults/telephone-with-confidence

I do have Rondo 3. What is the telecoil adapter? 
I need to find a way to make it work. My employer is looking at upgrading phone system at work too if there are any recommendations for something that I would be able to connect to. 

What about the Artone 3? Does it work with landline? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@BeckyR

I am happy to share information that I know but encourage you to schedule a free captioned zoom meeting with a Med-El US audiologist for help with this as they are the pros.

https://web.cvent.com/event/9f87401e-5bd8-4868-9e78-1fbba262e086/regProcessStep1

Rondo3 does not have a built in telecoil which is why we can not use settings like M, MT nor T with Rondo3.  It uses a telecoil adapter (which should be in your kit) and once that is attached it defaults to a 50/50 mix of telecoil audio and Rondo3 mic audio.  Our audiologists can create MAPs that boost the telecoil volume and also alter this default 50/50 mix.

This Med-El captioned video explains the telecoil adapter for Rondo 3.

Some Rondo3 users hear a ticking sound when the telecoil adapter is in use.  If that happens, Med-El recommends putting Rondo3 into flight mode.  This link explains flight mode.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/support/product-support/audio-processors/rondo3/handling-and-basics/rondo3_handling_flightmode

If your employer gets a phone that has an option for audio out while still using the handheld receiver to speak into, you will have several options.

The Artone is BT so it works with devices that can connect to it via its BT protocols.  But remember it is a neckloop so Rondo 3 still needs to use its telecoil adapter and you still may need to be in flight mode to avoid the ticking issue.

And if you are in the US, use this link to connect with your Med-El Consumer Engagement Managaer (CEM).  You can schedule a free 1:1 captioned zoom meeting for help with your CEM.

https://hearlife.medel.com/en-us/local/us-pages/connect-with-medel