Objectively confirming the MAP is optimal in SSD users

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

This is interesting.  Prior to using this objective measure, only 23 of the 67 SSD CI users had optimal MAPs.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36040051/

Reminds me of a comment @Kylie said about an objective test early on that showed some MAP settings needed to be increased.  What kind of test was that Kylie?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes my audiologist is the author. That might have been the actual study I was in!! It sounds like what I had done. I was one of the many who had changes made following this test, and it was indeed better mapping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I think it is SO COOL that you are working with this audiologist/researcher!  She sounds amazing.

@Mary Beth @Dianna  I was looking at the benefits of mapping and why it needs to be done. I can understand it helps with better understanding the sounds but does the audiologist change the mapping based on our inputs or like you all talking about here, there is some kind of tests to under go which helps audi to change the mapping. 

Due to some personal issue my audiologist is on leaves for couple of weeks. We had to cancel one mapping session earlier this week but to be frank, I see no reason to change anything as every day the sounds are getting clear by its own and If someone ask me for feedback to change the mapping, I have no idea what to say. 

So just wanted to confirm if it is ok not to change the mapping or is it advisable to do it once in a while.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jimit

It is a combination of both objective testing and our subjective input.  But rest assured that if a MAP is working great for you, you can continue to use it.  Sometimes at first there need to be tweaks to keep a MAP working great.  I encourage you to ask your audiologist to put your present MAP in one of the 4 program slots if she adds new MAPs.  This way if you find the new MAP is not working well after giving it a chance, you can switch to your old MAP.

@Jimit For my auditory rehab after activation, I used wordlists found online.  A family member read the words to me and I repeated it back in the best of my ability.  We were able to find a pattern on which vowels and consonants I was not getting correct.  This was reported this during my appointments to make adjustments for certain frequencies/channels.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@ShannonB

I did the same thing.  I made a list that showed my errors-

final p sounds like k

word was flip.  I heard flick.

Hiya jimit! 

I found that i zoomed through my first maps rehabbing. The volume and the arrays were all adjusted higher and i worked thru that map too. Then at third mapping some things were added, like ai and wind block and sensitivity. Its all based on progress. The ci and your brain 🧠 🤣 progress together. My next mapping will adjust my ci by a bit to sync with my ha plus i will get a music map!

Have fun in these early days lol

Ha ha m and n were tough, still tough. When starting "th" all the voices said "s" to me!

Also, funny thing this last mapping "tune" we worked together on the sounds and she showed my arrays to me and the levels were closer than ever in balance.

I sit here listening to music and i have hit a good spot so that i can hear in both ears about the same volume! I can tell what is " missing" in the ci ear. I am so glad i learned patience 🙏 😌  as the sounds adjust after a mapping (probably my brain) it just keeps getting better!

Thanks @Dianna, In my case I think they have kept it at the default mode only. We have planned to meet for first mapping session after 3 days but it got cancelled and I left with the default map only but to my surprise it kept improving itself every day. I think the AI is enabled and it does it magic. 

And surely I feel the same that my mind and the CI are going hand in hand, making it easy for me 😀.

I can't express how exciting the mornings are now a days. The first thing I do after wake up is switch on my Rondo 3 and put it in place and enjoy every single sound it has to offers me. It's a pure bliss. ☺️

My other ear is almost deaf, I still wear my h.a. but I don't feel anything in there especially after getting the CI activated. The good thing about it is there is nothing to compare. All you have is a sound of CI only and your mind can focus on single thing which I think helps the mind pick up the pace.

• Like 2