Middle ear implant

Richy19

I've just had operation. I've been advised that the software siemens use to program it,is not going to get implant to communicate with my right hearing aid, this now means I've got to use two minitek s around my neck to use the programs for each device.

Why don't they develop a program that means it will work with a HA. I don't want to be carrying two minitek s around with me. What happens if I want to take a phone call, I can't be messing trying to get both to connect at same time to get the sound in both ears at same time.

Does anyone else use a second aid as well as implant and a bluetooth transmitter like siemens minitek.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Richy,

welcome to the Hearpeers community.

I am the Bonebridge implantee but I use miniTek by Siemens and my infos are next: miniTek is not device-specific, it can affect VSB or BB as any hearing aid in direct nearness of it - that`s why Med-EL had to reduce the length of its activity. This means that receiver of the miniTEK should be directly below your ear. Logically - this is too far away from another device although miniTEK has ability to cover other device.

Why they did this? - Well, simply because if someone else would break into your line and possibly hear your music or phone conversation.

Is it the best solution... - it`s a question, of course because there are many protocols who would resolve this problem.

I believe that this was the best solution to get a kind of connectivity for our implants - I believe that Med-EL in the near future will develop its own connectivity solution. But hey - look it from the bright side: the first generation of outer unit, Amade was not joinable to any device. 

Like Galileo said - Eppur si muove...

• HearPeers Heroes

What does that mean Ivana? Eppur si mouve???

• HearPeers Heroes

That is a famous phrase attributed to Galileo that meaning "Albeit it does move".

It is believed that Galileo said that when he was forced to recant his claim that the Earth moves around the Sun by the church inquisition.

He was stubborn  a perseverant person like us :)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for clarifying Cara!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I see that I was not clear enough but enough stupid - I meant he was forced by the church inquisition to recant that the Earth moves around the Sun.

Sorry my English, thanks for your patience and understanding :)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

I am impressed with your English skills as well as the English skills of our other multi-lingual friends. There is no need to apologize.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you , Mary Beth, for your encouragement. Still have a lot to do for improvement. Sometimes I even impress myself how I manage to say a such nonsense :)

• HearPeers Heroes

No need to apologize Cara. English is my native language and I still mess it up :D

• HearPeers Heroes

You are joking, Adam :) By the way I have leart a lot of special words from you. Now I know what cats do when they skulk for something - they are snooping!

• HearPeers Heroes

Please don't apologize. I grew up in a multi lingual family. I completely understand. I actually get a kick out of it!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Here's a word I haven't heard before. Monolithic. I haven't looked it up yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Tnx gang for your understanding regarding my capability not to mess up English language - too much. :unsure:

I would just add to Cara`s clarification (although she explained it excellent from my point of view), actually to make accent at different part of Galileo`s ideas: he eventually did withdraw his statement that Earth is moving around Sun (who would be a main treat at city`s barbecue?) BUT at his trial he said also famous idea "Eppur si muove/Albeit it does move" as a sign of his perseverance to his initial idea.

;)  B)

• HearPeers Heroes

Here's a word I haven't heard before. Monolithic. I haven't looked it up yet.

Well, it`s a huge stone like monolithic building or monument; but I would use it more as a metaphoric term to describe kind of rigidity, like society. 

BookWorm  B)

Well sorry to say but none of these comments have enlightened me to my problem.

Is there no one else on the group that knows about middle ear implant and wearing HA and using siemens bluetooth fm transmitter

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry, Richy, for clattering your topic.  Looks like we need more active members who can share their experience how to deal with middle ear implant, HA, and other accessories all together.

Please, if you know something about this, share it with us. The next time we will follow your discussion without any off topic conversation. Sorry again :rolleyes:

Thank you for that. I'm hoping to get some help.

It does seem that members are thin on the ground.

Where are they all hiding

• HearPeers Heroes

If we could know :) I hope they are so happy with their devices that they just forgot that they still belong to our community.

Maybe your right.

I too hope one day to be that person not that I would forget forum, it would be nicer if they got in touch and said so.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well sorry to say but none of these comments have enlightened me to my problem.

Is there no one else on the group that knows about middle ear implant and wearing HA and using siemens bluetooth fm transmitter

Richi,

I am sorry if present situation does not satisfy you but this is the situation like I have describe it. No - there is no other solution.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you for that. I'm hoping to get some help.

It does seem that members are thin on the ground.

Where are they all hiding

No, we are not thin on this matter... If you have solution - please find it, we will be more than grateful to you for sharing.  -_-

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry, Richy, for clattering your topic.  Looks like we need more active members who can share their experience how to deal with middle ear implant, HA, and other accessories all together.

Please, if you know something about this, share it with us. The next time we will follow your discussion without any off topic conversation. Sorry again :rolleyes:

Cara - there is no other solution. I have pointed out before problem of connectivity of the Samba (VSB and BB outer unit): it is extremely limited if we compare it with the connectivity options of CIs.  :(

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe Richy's comment about "thin" is referring to not many active members on this forum. I think he is wondering where all the other MedEl implant users are.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that is what he means. Mary Beth. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Richy. I am only on month 5 and I only have one implant. No extras. I have a CI as well. But I would like to encourage you on your journey. So please keep us updated as you progress. Good luck!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe Richy's comment about "thin" is referring to not many active members on this forum. I think he is wondering where all the other MedEl implant users are.

Mary Beth,

Unfortunately - that fact does not change the fact which I have described: there is no other solution. For now.

What I have described is pretty complicated but - that's the way it is - I can only hope that Med-El is working on simplier solution. Until then...