There are times when difficulty listening with our CIs is not due to the processors nor the MAPs

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Yesterday I woke up feeling very tired and very foggy.  It happened to be a chemotherapy day and I was definitely dragging as we went to the appt.  This was my 10th chemotherapy treatment so everyone knows me and I have been listening in that environment many times.

But yesterday understanding what everyone was saying to me was so markedly more difficult and very noticeable.  It went fine as my spouse signs and easily interpreted as needed.  The staff also altered how they communicated with me when they saw I was not understanding.  They are a terrific bunch of caring professionals.

There was nothing amiss with my Sonnets.  There was nothing wrong with my MAPs.  It was my brain.  Smile.

Sometimes we experience difficulties listening due to our brains being fatigued, foggy, stressed, etc.  And when that happens, I hope we can be kind to ourselves.

14 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Yesterday I woke up feeling very tired and very foggy.  It happened to be a chemotherapy day and I was definitely dragging as we went to the appt.  This was my 10th chemotherapy treatment so everyone knows me and I have been listening in that environment many times.

But yesterday understanding what everyone was saying to me was so markedly more difficult and very noticeable.  It went fine as my spouse signs and easily interpreted as needed.  The staff also altered how they communicated with me when they saw I was not understanding.  They are a terrific bunch of caring professionals.

There was nothing amiss with my Sonnets.  There was nothing wrong with my MAPs.  It was my brain.  Smile.

Sometimes we experience difficulties listening due to our brains being fatigued, foggy, stressed, etc.  And when that happens, I hope we can be kind to ourselves.

Well said, hugs! Im awed at your perseverance and communicating your process, plus being our leader!!!! I cant say thanks enough

57 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Thanks so much Marybeth  for your courage, understanding and love. Trust things are working out for you and improving steadily.. you are so very right, listening and understanding Speech is a complicated process and  just slapping on the processors after the Implants is an initial step!.We do have to artfully manage what goes on in between the two processors!.

Take care 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@SKOM

So very thankful for what goes on between the two processors!!!  Thank you for your good thoughts.  I appreciate it.

• Like 2

Understanding and hearing are not the same. Understanding requires quite a lot of brainpower to convert the "stuff between the two processors" into speech. I've been aware of that for quite a long time, there were times when my extreme headaches were even making my lip-reading skills fall completely flat. There was no helping that, basically needed people to be more patient and use pen and paper or phone if necessary. Now, with a single ear, it's even more apparent when a day is off because I just go "whaa--" a lot. And that can happen when I can still hear all the tiny sounds around. My map has been tweaked and the sound perception improved from what it was in the summer, but these days still happen. It's annoying and makes me grouchy, but can't be helped.

I am sorry you have to deal with that too, on top of going through the cancer fight and the treatment. I am happy for you that at least your professionals seem to be understanding and trying to be helpful. And that your spouse helps you to manage the situation as well! Having support in vulnerable moments is very important.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

I am indeed incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by very loving, patient, understanding and caring people both in my personal life and in this breast cancer journey filled with many different medical professionals.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I wish everyone was as fortunate.

• Like 2