If Auracast lives up to its hype, BT connectivity is going to greatly improve for CI and HA users

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so eager for this type of universal access to BT connectivity.  I hope it delivers on its promises.  And I hope Med-El integrates it in future processors (both BTE and off the ear processors).

https://www.audiology-worldnews.com/market2/4468-auracast-is-coming-to-bluetooth-boosting-movement-inclusion-and-participation-for-hearing-device-users

Sounds very cool. Funny, non hearing disabled folks love walking around with their headphones or earbuds, could be beneficial to the masses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really know how this works but I hope along with making it easier to hear in public places like airports and train stations, it might help in movie theaters. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent article regarding AuraCast BT and telecoils written by someone who actually had an opportunity to experience AuraCast at a conference!

Exciting times ahead for all of us!

https://hearinghealthmatters.org/findhearing/bluetooth-telecoil-hearing-aids-need/?fbclid=IwAR12A_NCB2EfNq9o7G2n9BsbASyedYZOt64qK3bmFFTS_l3IPL_HpyobSTY

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Thanks to @Joan for sharing this information about a free zoom presentation on AuraCast and its impact on HA and CI listening devices.

Free but registration is required

https://www.hearingloss.org/event/hlaa-technology-showcase-webinar-is-bluetooth-technology-the-new-standard-for-assistive-listening-systems/

• HearPeers Heroes

Attended a zoom webinar today about the future of BT audio and the next generation of assistive listening.

BT LE Audio and Auracast

It was hosted by HLAA and the presenter was Chuck Sabin who is the senior director market development of Bluetooth SIG Inc

This slide made me smile.  Yay Med-El !!!!

EB60B80A-E637-42E5-A4E1-79CA4BF940A3.png

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Logos and accessibility decals to become familiar with.  Shared at the above presentation.

65CE2005-C1D2-4472-9FA0-DD33597F4789.jpeg

5A42153D-6134-4FAC-9C6B-44B261AC32FC.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 9/18/2022 at 2:51 PM, Dianna said:

Sounds very cool. Funny, non hearing disabled folks love walking around with their headphones or earbuds, could be beneficial to the masses

I told a hearing friend about my experience with using a loop at a live theater event and he was envious.  He says he rarely is able to hear all of the dialogue in a play,.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Suggest that he ask for an assistive listening device with headphones/ear plugs.  Many theaters have those available to borrow for free.

• HearPeers Heroes
5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Suggest that he ask for an assistive listening device with headphones/ear plugs.  Many theaters have those available to borrow for free.

Yes, the theater that we went to in Minneapolis had devices that could be used with a neckloop and your telecoil or with a headphone.  I'll have to tell Sherwood to ask next time he goes (he's in California so the Orpheum probably isn't where he'll go)

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@John F

Yes.  And it will depend on manufacturers of TVs, theater owners, airports, etc to decide to invest in updating their assistive listening tech which is why it is VERY important to keep telecoils in our processors at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Probably 5 years or so before the tech industry gets on entirely board.  MedEl itself will probably update their products to at least support direct BT in that timeframe with the ability to support Auracast in the future.  

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

This is the next generation of connectivity and what is so very exciting is…

It will be global and all HAs and CIs and headphones etc will all be able to stream audio this way once the receivers are built into the devices and LE Audio and AuraCast become widely available.

It will no longer matter which HA, AirPod, CI processor etc we use.  All will have access to the same audio stream.  No more intermediary devices needed.

The future for audio access is VERY exciting and Med-El is involved.  Look for the Med-El logo near the end of the video.

It’s a great advancement for all of us.  I am VERY excited.

Definitely worth the watch.  Captions can be enabled in the YouTube app.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes